Author Topic: 2014 Salary Cap: $133M  (Read 4921 times)

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
2014 Salary Cap: $133M
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
not sure where to put this,  but this would be insane...(in a good way)

@AdamSchefter 
Salary cap projected to rise to about $133 million this year,  expected to break $140 million next year and $150 million by 2016, per source

potentially 30 million dollar cap increase in a 3 year period. I imagine it'd have two effects...teams would be able to retain their young talent more often but we'd also have a large increase in league salaries. Free agent contracts particularly

Although at the same time, I feel like NFL GMs have some almost unwritten collusion when it comes to setting the market.  With the exception of meddling owner nutbags like Al Davis and Dan Snyder, I don't think GMs in the sport are particularly fond about setting precedence with huge/record setting contracts because of the lasting impact it has. Essentially everyone gets screwed in the long run. no one cares in baseball because there's no cap and the owners just keep spending the money, but in football no one wants to really be the "one" to break past a threshold. That's a good thing, because in the baseball example that mentality is precisely why the contracts have become so absurd even for mediocre players
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:35:57 PM by Badger »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: 2014 Salary Cap
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
Might as well have a salary cap thread.

I'm kind of annoyed we're getting a huge increase now, when we were already going to have decent cap space this year. Would have been more useful to us last year.

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
Re: 2014 Free Agency
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »
I wonder if this was known last year would they have signed Revis?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »
I wonder if this was known last year would they have signed Revis?

I've been asking myself the same thing. We certainly have the space now, but I still don't know if they would have gone with the $16M per year deal. Plus he'd probably hit the open market.

And we wouldn't have Richardson.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:48:02 AM by Badger »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
I've been asking myself the same thing. We certainly have the space now, but I still don't know if they would have gone with the $16M per year deal. Plus he'd probably hit the open market.

Plus we wouldn't have Richardson.

Plus we could've given the keys for Fort Knox to L.Landry.

/JE
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 10:51:29 AM »

And we wouldn't have Richardson.

Maybe we'd have Richardson, if we kept revis I doubt we go Milliner first pick.    Either way too late now and Richardson looks like a star and dee ended strong so we are in good shape.

Plus we could've given the keys for Fort Knox to L.Landry.

/JE

I am glad we didn't do that, he was very overrated here.  that was a blessing we didn't re-sign him. 

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:55:39 AM »
Maybe we'd have Richardson, if we kept revis I doubt we go Milliner first pick.    Either way too late now and Richardson looks like a star and dee ended strong so we are in good shape.

This argument was kind of beat to death around here for the last few months. While it is possible that they could have taken Richardson at 9, it's not something we could ever assume.

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »
This argument was kind of beat to death around here for the last few months. While it is possible that they could have taken Richardson at 9, it's not something we could ever assume.

we will never know but I think it is logical we don't take Milliner. would we have taken Warmack or Fluker?  I doubt it so I think it is logical to assume we still end up w/ Shelden.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
I don't regret losing Revis (as nyjunc said, Milliner came on and Richardson is a beast-welcome aboard by the way-) so in the end it worked out for us. This jump actually makes it far more easy to get MoWilk re-signed. Maybe it means we now bring back Cromartie too.

The one thing I'm nervous about regarding Revis though is that I just saw a tweet saying he'd be a good fit with New England. I would throw things if Revis wound up playing for the Pats.

As for the cap, this bails out Dallas, which is BS. Still, it's about time the cap started rising. I'm the first to say athletes make obscene money, but considering how much money the sport is raking in, they certainly deserve more than they've been getting in the NFL.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:05:47 AM »
I don't regret losing Revis (as nyjunc said, Milliner came on and Richardson is a beast-welcome aboard by the way-) so in the end it worked out for us. This jump actually makes it far more easy to get MoWilk re-signed. Maybe it means we now bring back Cromartie too.

The one thing I'm nervous about regarding Revis though is that I just saw a tweet saying he'd be a good fit with New England. I would throw things if Revis wound up playing for the Pats.

As for the cap, this bails out Dallas, which is BS. Still, it's about time the cap started rising. I'm the first to say athletes make obscene money, but considering how much money the sport is raking in, they certainly deserve more than they've been getting in the NFL.

Now would be a good time to get Mo extended.

I think this may hurt us w/ Cro unless he just restructures.  If we release him hoping to re-sign most teams have cap room now so his price would go up.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 11:08:44 AM »
More cap space doesn't make it acceptable to spend freely.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »
Now would be a good time to get Mo extended.

I think this may hurt us w/ Cro unless he just restructures.  If we release him hoping to re-sign most teams have cap room now so his price would go up.

Mo has to be a priority. I guess they're still waiting with that whole option year thing, but with more space, it's the right thing to do to just show him the money before he tests the waters.

As for Cro, I think even if his price rises a bit they should bring him back. My preference is a restructure to begin with, but even with a cut-and-re-sign I think it makes sense to keep him here. He seems to be committed to retiring here too, so I would think it's a matter of the Jets wanting him more than it is a bidding war. Hopefully they work it out.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 11:11:49 AM »

Of course. It would just put us back in cap hell in a few years.

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »

I would hope not, we have some holes they will look to help fill in FA but I don't see a wild spending spree under Idzik.

nyjunc

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Trump/Brady 2016
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »
Of course. It would just put us back in cap hell in a few years.

I don't think we were in cap hell, we easily got out of the cap issues and would have had Tannenbaum stayed too. 

Tags: free agency