Author Topic: 1.15 Wilburt McDonald IV - EDGE - Iowa State  (Read 8844 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: 1.15 Will McDonald IV - EDGE - Iowa State
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2023, 12:05:52 PM »
After watching more film I'll say

Bruce Irvin floor aldon Smith ceiling

Unless he just decides to be Aaron maybin
Aaron Maybin is the floor. He popped up as an athletic comp, too.

However, the fact that he held his own as a DT at Iowa State at times makes me optimistic he won't get bullied all the time.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2023, 12:18:56 PM »
Aaron Maybin is the floor. He popped up as an athletic comp, too.

However, the fact that he held his own as a DT at Iowa State at times makes me optimistic he won't get bullied all the time.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't one of Maybin's problems that he had precisely no bend?  Straight line speed like a Ferrari, turned corners like a tractor trailer?

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2023, 12:22:11 PM »
I may be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't one of Maybin's problems that he had precisely no bend?  Straight line speed like a Ferrari, turned corners like a tractor trailer?

Maybin was just all speed/motor.  He couldn't break blocks or beat anyone inside.  Zero pass rushing moves. 

McDonald seems to have more in his bag than I originally thought.  His spin move is being compared to Dwight Freeney's which is some of the best praise a pass rusher can receive. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2023, 01:09:44 PM »
I still remember that one clip of Maybin (still on the Bills) just getting shoved back four or five times by the OT on the same play like some 6 year old trying to fight his 17 year old brother.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2023, 01:23:54 PM »
Maybin was just all speed/motor.  He couldn't break blocks or beat anyone inside.  Zero pass rushing moves. 

McDonald seems to have more in his bag than I originally thought.  His spin move is being compared to Dwight Freeney's which is some of the best praise a pass rusher can receive. 
In one of the interviews I saw, he said he learned it from Maxx Crosby film, thinking he could add it to his bag, and that it was new for 2022.

I'm a little surprised he wasn't considered a higher pick by draft analysts. I admit I did no work on edge rushers. But he's got the athleticism. He has every measurable you would want except weight, but the weight doesn't matter as much in every scheme. He's versatile. Yes, he's older, but he broke out when he was young, and he's still relatively new to football, so he might have more upside than his age would indicate. And he's very productive, and you can clearly attribute his usage as to why his production dipped as a 5th-year.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2023, 01:53:50 PM »
In one of the interviews I saw, he said he learned it from Maxx Crosby film, thinking he could add it to his bag, and that it was new for 2022.

I'm a little surprised he wasn't considered a higher pick by draft analysts. I admit I did no work on edge rushers. But he's got the athleticism. He has every measurable you would want except weight, but the weight doesn't matter as much in every scheme. He's versatile. Yes, he's older, but he broke out when he was young, and he's still relatively new to football, so he might have more upside than his age would indicate. And he's very productive, and you can clearly attribute his usage as to why his production dipped as a 5th-year.

Age had a lot to do with the draft community's evaluation of him, I think.  He's weight is also concerning.  Saleh thinks he can pack on pounds with professional nutrition/workout plan in place now.  245-250 is reasonable for him.

He went around where most pass rushers in his range typically go.  Irvin, Burns, Phillips - really good prospects that went in the teens.

Everyone understands why Will Anderson went #3. 

Tyree Wilson is a H/W/S prospect that never really had elite production.  McDonald outperformed him in the same conference.  Wilson also isn't a young prospect.  He'll be 23 when the season starts. 

Van Ness seems like the ideal fit in Saleh's scheme, but we already have Mike Clemons and JFM to play that heavy end role.  It sounds to me like Saleh really want that true, bendy speed rusher in his unit.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #261 on: May 01, 2023, 10:30:33 PM »

Oh I was joking about maybin . Lol

Maybin might as well have been a freaking amputee

McDonald is far more active with his hands and actually makes OL reset and counters with another rip or spin

Good stuff to see

And the bend is freaky Aldon Smith esque with the frame

Just gotta keep the hands active and not get beat at point of attack and this kid will push pockets all day out wide

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #262 on: May 02, 2023, 07:40:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBGqOPw1Cs&t=1230s

In the latest MTS podcast, DJ shares that he learned NYJ was taking McDonald even if Broderick Jones was on the board

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #263 on: May 02, 2023, 09:04:41 AM »
In the latest MTS podcast, DJ shares that he learned NYJ was taking McDonald even if Broderick Jones was on the board
Thought was interesting also.  A few days later I feel much better about this draft.  This team doesn't have many holes, we didn't have much capital and the draft was quite mediocre.  Given that context I think it's okay to walk away feeling we didn't get much better, right now.

As always time will tell.

Hopefully we can trade Bryce hall and denzel mims for a few bags of chips as the offseason progresses

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #264 on: May 02, 2023, 09:16:26 AM »
That would make swapping 13 and 15 make more sense if we were always on McDonald.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #265 on: May 02, 2023, 09:19:22 AM »
That would make swapping 13 and 15 make more sense if we were always on McDonald.

Sounds more like a retcon. We had no way of knowing that the Steelers would trade up ahead of us, and they wouldn't have done that if they didn't think there was a decent chance we were going to take Jones.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #266 on: May 02, 2023, 09:42:27 AM »
Sounds more like a retcon. We had no way of knowing that the Steelers would trade up ahead of us, and they wouldn't have done that if they didn't think there was a decent chance we were going to take Jones.
We will never know, and it very well could be damage control. But I didn't think it was a mortal lock we were going OL given Brown, Mitchell and Becton being here already. And if we were truly sold on a top-4 OT, I think we would have given Green Bay a later pick instead of a pick swap. It also could make sense that the Jets would be looking to trade back a little more.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2023, 11:35:35 AM »
We had no way of knowing but we could be pretty damn sure we donald would be there at 15

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #268 on: May 02, 2023, 01:03:43 PM »
There's nothing to be gained from saying "We were all-in on playerX, but since we got jumped for him, we took the next best guy."

Just tell everyone you got the guy you always wanted. Harmless lie.

Given how long they took to make the pick, they must have been trying to trade out.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: