Author Topic: 1.15 Wilburt McDonald IV - EDGE - Iowa State  (Read 8848 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: 1.15 Wilburt McDonald IV - EDGE - Iowa State
« Reply #285 on: August 16, 2023, 06:59:30 PM »
After the latest episode of a Hard Knocks, a McDonald IV #99 jersey would go so hard
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #286 on: November 26, 2023, 12:57:22 PM »
Where's Will? At his current pace, defensive end Will McDonald IV will become the Jets' first first-round pick since Vernon Gholston in 2008 to play under 200 defensive or offensive snaps in his rookie season.

McDonald said this is "not exactly" the way he imagined his first season, but it's important to remember the circumstances. Yes, he was a high draft pick -- 15th overall -- but he was added to a talented defensive line. Basically, he's the fifth man in a five-man rotation at defensive end, which explains his meager snap total -- only 101 in nine games. (He missed one game with an injury, another as a healthy scratch.)

The Jets had bigger needs on draft day, but there were two factors that led them to McDonald: General manager Joe Douglas believes in taking the best player available, and Saleh likes to stockpile defensive linemen for his vaunted rotation. The downside is that McDonald is missing out on valuable experience and the team isn't getting much return on its investment.

New York employed a similar approach last season with 2022 first-round pick Jermaine Johnson, a rotational piece on the defensive line, but at least he finished with 316 defensive snaps. That provided a foundation for him to make a huge improvement in Year 2.

For his part, McDonald insisted that he's not frustrated and that he has no problem waiting his turn.

"I don't really want to rush things, but I know that I can make a lot of impact," he told ESPN. "We've got a lot of dudes in the room that can impact the game, so it's really just like whenever each of us get our opportunities, we just have to ball out."

Of the 31 first-round picks in 2023, only one has played fewer snaps on offense or defense than McDonald -- Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Nolan Smith (61 snaps). That he was picked 30th overall by the defending NFC champions has made it tough to see the field.

Maybe he’ll turn out a good player but this was an atrocious use of a 1st round draft pick in an all in year

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #287 on: November 26, 2023, 01:18:32 PM »
At least he doesn't sound like Elijah Moore.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #288 on: November 26, 2023, 01:40:38 PM »
Maybe he’ll turn out a good player but this was an atrocious use of a 1st round draft pick in an all in year
At least someone gets it lol

I love the player but in the other thread I've made my case .

Again hes got an Aldon Smith ceiling . But he needs to reach it to justify the misuse of resources and OL neglect
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 01:53:39 PM by Coach K »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #291 on: December 29, 2023, 09:18:09 AM »
Best framing of this pick is to avoid paying a developed, proven player in Bryce Huff and let him walk in FA, which would probably be a mistake in and of itself.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #292 on: December 29, 2023, 09:40:44 AM »
Best framing of this pick is to avoid paying a developed, proven player in Bryce Huff and let him walk in FA, which would probably be a mistake in and of itself.

I'm all for re-signing Huff, but let's see how much cash he's looking for.  There is a freak-off price eventually, and if I were him, I'd strike while the iron's hot and take the biggest offer wherever. 

We have his replacement waiting hopefully (McDonald), and we certainly have bigger needs on this team on which to spend cash.  I'm fine if he walks if he's looking to get paid like a top 5 pass rusher. I'd like to keep him, but there's a limit.  It's equally possible he could go somewhere else and get 15 sacks a year or get re-signed for a huge deal here and get 8 sacks a year.  Either way, we'd be pissed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 10:06:53 AM by bojanglesman »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #293 on: December 29, 2023, 10:02:03 AM »
^This is where I've been for weeks.

The time to extend him was early in the season. We didn't. He's now going to get more money than we should be paying. Enough cash has gone into this defense. It's time to allocate money to offense.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #294 on: December 29, 2023, 10:03:37 AM »
Also, shocking that this coaching staff poorly utilizes guys. Especially young guys. In other news, water still wet.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #295 on: December 29, 2023, 10:05:25 AM »
^This is where I've been for weeks.

The time to extend him was early in the season. We didn't. He's now going to get more money than we should be paying. Enough cash has gone into this defense. It's time to allocate money to offense.

*JD signs Curtis Samuel to a $15M AAV deal*

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #296 on: December 29, 2023, 05:14:43 PM »
They better find a way to get something back for Huff if they let him go. Find a tag and trade option. Letting him walk for free would be bad roster management.

Also, they should just bring him back. They can resign him and still help the offense.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh