Author Topic: 1.15 Wilburt McDonald IV - EDGE - Iowa State  (Read 8854 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: 1.15 Will McDonald IV - EDGE - Iowa State
« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2023, 10:35:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/1651776956717727744?s=20

Twitter did not like this quote.

I don’t disagree, but this is also how we ended up drafting 7 1st round iDL in a row
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Need a new one for a new board...

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2023, 10:44:10 PM »
That was amazing

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2023, 09:21:11 AM »
I've heard McDonald comp'd to Leonard Floyd so I'm wondering if the long-term plan is to use him at linebacker in base as a means to get him on the field on early downs while using him as an edge rusher in passing situations.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 09:23:23 AM by Andrew Ryan »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2023, 09:22:51 AM »
I've heard McDonald comp'd to Leonard Floyd so I'm wondering if the long-term plan is to use him at linebacker in base as a means to get him on the field on early downs while using him as an edge rusher in passing situations.

He fits perfectly into the LEO role that was used in Seattle and Jacksonville when Saleh was there. 

Bruce Irvin is the best comp I've seen. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2023, 09:23:44 AM »
He fits perfectly into the LEO role that was used in Seattle and Jacksonville when Saleh was there. 

Bruce Irvin is the best comp I've seen. 

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #247 on: April 29, 2023, 11:39:55 AM »

casman02

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2023, 07:59:06 AM »
https://theathletic.com/4472983/2023/04/30/bruce-feldman-nfl-draft-2/

7. The Jets’ first-rounder, Will McDonald IV, was the flip side of Levis in terms of being a guy who the coaches privately were higher on than the mock drafts seemed to be. He went No. 15 overall, and if he’s as good as some NFL coaches and coaches who faced Iowa State think, New York fans will love him.

“The way he turns the corner is incredible,” a coach told The Athletic this spring. “He’s so loose and has good pass rush moves. I think he just played so hard. He doesn’t have the same traits, but he was a more productive player than (Tyree) Wilson. They asked him to do some things you don’t usually see from guys that size — playing in the B-gap or being a 4i. They asked him to do a lot for them. He played the run way better this year than a year ago. Every year we played him he got better.”

McDonald is lighter than most coaches would want — he weighed in at 239 at 6-4 in Indy, but he has almost 35-inch arms and was a fixture on the Freaks List the past few years.

An NFL D-line coach we talked to last week was even more effusive about him. “He’s probably the most twitchy guy in the whole D-line group,” the coach said. “You can’t teach that kind of bend. He’s very much like Haason Reddick and Brian Burns.”

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2023, 10:00:29 AM »
We can only hope he is our version of Brian Burns

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2023, 03:09:48 PM »
Here's hoping Saleh knows his pass rushers and got us a steal. Coaches were clearly much higher on him than the draft community.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #251 on: April 30, 2023, 04:34:21 PM »
Here's hoping Saleh knows his pass rushers and got us a steal. Coaches were clearly much higher on him than the draft community.

Traits wise he has almost everything you want, extremely long, elite freakish athlete, high level production owning the b12 career sack record over Von Miller while having a down year due to playing out of position in a scheme that won’t utilize him like we will. If this dude was 279 instead of 239 I imagine he’d be talked about like Myles Garrett was. Here’s hoping that they can get production out of him similar to guys he has been comped to in Brian Burns, Randy Gregory, Bruce Irvin and Hassan Reddick

We may have a lot of edge guys in our rotation but we don’t have a dominant guy who can get 12-15 sacks a year. Can you imagine if McDonald could be that with Quinnen in the middle? Good freaking lord…
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 04:36:15 PM by Libero_2 »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #252 on: April 30, 2023, 04:40:53 PM »
Traits wise he has almost everything you want, extremely long, elite freakish athlete, high level production owning the b12 career sack record over Von Miller while having a down year due to playing out of position in a scheme that won’t utilize him like we will. If this dude was 279 instead of 239 I imagine he’d be talked about like Myles Garrett was. Here’s hoping that they can get production out of him similar to guys he has been comped to in Brian Burns, Randy Gregory, Bruce Irvin and Hassan Reddick

We may have a lot of edge guys in our rotation but we don’t have a dominant guy who can get 12-15 sacks a year. Can you imagine if McDonald could be that with Quinnen in the middle? Good freaking lord…
That's why I'm fine with the pick. We make Bryce Huff out to be a god here. Huff is good, but McDonald should have a chance to be better.

Saleh's defense is built around the pass rush. We still don't have a prominent edge rusher who scares teams, unless you count Huff on 3rd and long. Maybe McDonald can be that guy.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #253 on: April 30, 2023, 11:24:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/nyjbrick/status/1652795187620347909?s=46&t=e6vm1ybQ4I7pEpNpNEkBkg

Sorry for the source but this might provide positional clarity

I instantly thought he was a fit for wide 9

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2023, 06:58:14 AM »
After watching more film I'll say

Bruce Irvin floor aldon Smith ceiling

Unless he just decides to be Aaron maybin

Tags: