Author Topic: 1.15 Wilburt McDonald IV - EDGE - Iowa State  (Read 8246 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
1.15 Wilburt McDonald IV - EDGE - Iowa State
« on: April 27, 2023, 09:00:43 PM »

« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 07:59:07 AM by MBGreen »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
Re: 1.15 Will McDonald IV - EDGE - Iowa State
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 09:02:03 PM »
BACKFLIPS SZN

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 09:02:34 PM »
Wtf just happened
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 09:03:08 PM »
Sure, why not.

I don't know much about McDonald, but there were no options there I wanted, so at least we took the position we wanted. Look forward to watching tape of him and figuring out how I feel.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 09:03:59 PM »
I like this.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 09:04:11 PM »

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 09:04:41 PM »
Maybe I’ll be proven wrong in a couple years, but this was a really shitty pick. Weak edge players that rely entirely on athleticism going in the top 15 is a constant recipe for disaster.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 09:04:44 PM »
Difficult to defend this one, but in Douglas we trust... I guess

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 09:05:20 PM »
at least we took the position we wanted

what

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 09:05:27 PM »
We made a wish

Most of my team from work is at the draft and they said they were gonna boo the pick for me until they saw the Make-A-Wish kid
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 09:06:04 PM »
what
Vegas odds told him McDonald was a solid pick
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2023, 09:06:39 PM »
Who is the odd man out at edge?

Lawson
Johnson
Clemons
Huff
McDonald
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

casman02

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 09:07:01 PM »
Scouting report from the Athletic
BACKGROUND: Wilbert “Will” McDonald IV grew up in Milwaukee, where he often played basketball in the neighborhood, but sports weren’t part of his childhood. He joined the basketball team in eighth grade and made the varsity team at Milwaukee Pulaski High School as a freshman. His family left Milwaukee after his freshman year with his mother moving to Waukesha (just outside of Milwaukee) and his father moving to Arizona. McDonald stayed with his mother and chose to enroll at Waukesha North High School, because of their basketball program. He became a varsity starter midway through his sophomore year and finished second on the team with 12.1 points per game. When he wasn’t playing basketball, McDonald was either at home or working (at McDonald’s) to help pay bills, until the football coaches convinced him to try a new sport despite McDonald having zero football experience or knowledge (he didn’t follow or watch football on TV). He joined the team as a junior in 2016 and finished his first year playing football with 69 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks to earn All-Region honors. As a senior, McDonald moved in with his head coach (Matt Harris), because his mother moved back to Milwaukee. He earned first team All-State in 2017 with 61 tackles, 20.0 tackles for loss and 12.0 sacks while adding two touchdown catches on offense. On the basketball court, he was named the league’s Player of the Year as a senior,
averaging 18.3 points and 12.8 rebounds per game. McDonald also lettered in baseball and track. He won the state discus title (179 feet 9 inches) as a senior and finished third in the high jump (6-4). McDonald also set personal bests in the 110-meter hurdles (15.53 second), long jump (22-4) and shot put (47-1.25).
A three-star recruit, McDonald was the No. 47 weakside defensive end in the 2018 recruiting class and the No. 3 recruit in Wisconsin. Playing football for the first time in his life as a junior, he was unknown in the recruiting world, but that quickly changed once schools like Wisconsin invited him for official visits. McDonald developed a relationship with Matt Campbell and committed to Iowa State, shutting down his recruitment despite continued interest from other schools. His mother (Chandra Williams) was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008 and, thankfully, was declared cancer-free in 2012. McDonald accepted his invitation to the 2023 Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Owns a stretched-out, athletic frame with impressive length … twitchy mover and quickly gains ground because of his get-off and long-striding acceleration … rushes with natural bend and ankle/joint flexibility … uses his lateral agility to shake blockers and stay detached … loose-hipped to wrap blockers or unleash spin moves … quality bull-rush potential with additional strength and coaching … incredible tackle radius because of his wingspan, routinely finishing when he reaches the backfield … nice job stalking and closing on the quarterback … looks comfortable dropping as a flat defender in space … on the very short list of prospects in this draft class with double-digit forced fumbles (shares the ISU record with 10 career forced fumbles) … was often asked to handle multiple blockers in ISU’s scheme … outstanding backfield production, leading the team in sacks each of the last three seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Linear-built with a slender, lean-muscled body type … lacks defined bulk, especially in his lower half … average play strength will be more noticeable versus NFL talent … too easily pushed/steered from the pocket …immature pass-rush setup and move-to-move transitions … undeveloped secondary measures … too often finds himself too far upfield and behind the quarterback … lackluster speed-to-power moves … doesn’t consistently play stout in the run game and can be moved from his spot … inconsistent run discipline and late to leverage gaps … disappointing production as a senior.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Iowa State, McDonald played the LEO defensive end position in defensive coordinator Jon Heacock’s 3-3-5 base scheme, lining up inside and outside the offensive tackle. Despite not playing football until his junior year in high school, his 34.0 career sacks rank No. 1 in Iowa State history and are tied for the all-time lead in the Big 12 (one more than Von Miller’s 33.0 career sacks). With his length and quick-twitch movements, McDonald is able to separate from blockers, burst to close and finish in the pocket. However, his pass rush currently lacks ideal deception, power or setup efficiency, and offenses aren’t afraid to attack him in the run game because of his average play strength. Overall, McDonald is more toolsy than seasoned and might never become the sum of his parts, but his natural length, flexibility and explosiveness are an enticing combination. He projects as a subpackage pass rusher as an NFL rookie with the potential to be more down the road.

Rated as the 46th prospect
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 09:09:34 PM by casman02 »

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 09:07:33 PM »
Who is the odd man out at edge?

Lawson
Johnson
Clemons
Huff
McDonald

Since money is the issue, it's probably Lawson.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2023, 09:08:29 PM »
Ultimately it’s all about how this guy plays. And hopefully he dominates early on. But he couldn’t more different body type wise from Jermaine Johnson who we just took a year ago.
Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: