Author Topic: Potential positional conversion prospects  (Read 600 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Potential positional conversion prospects
« on: April 25, 2023, 04:51:40 AM »
So in my scrolling of the inter webs last night, I saw a guy make the argument that this is a very weak safety class (not exactly a hot take), and that he expects a team with a need at S to try and take a CB from this deep and talented corner class and convert them to Safety in their system. The idea seems pretty sound in principle and does happen. We were doing it with Jason Pinnock before cutting him in favor of Tony Adams last August.

Now the guy he argued for making the conversion was Kelee Ringo. I don’t know that he in particular makes a lot sense for the Jets to try that experiment on given that he will go pretty high.

But I’m curious which CB prospects could potentially make that switch this year. Or perhaps we are looking at another shift, such as what we did with Jamie Sherwood and Hamsah a few years ago converting them to linebacker.
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Potential positional conversion prospects
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 08:25:46 AM »
Marte Mapu converted from safety to linebacker last season at Sacramento State and won the Big Sky DPOY.

He was a Top 30 visit for us (and a lot of other teams).  We'll probably have to do some maneuvering to get back into the fourth round for him.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 01:42:14 PM »
Marte Mapu converted from safety to linebacker last season at Sacramento State and won the Big Sky DPOY.

He was a Top 30 visit for us (and a lot of other teams).  We'll probably have to do some maneuvering to get back into the fourth round for him.

We have 112 in the 4th already don’t we? And now 2 5th round picks with the swap with Green Bay
Need a new one for a new board...

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 07:11:17 PM »
I don’t think Mapu is anything special. There are a number of mid round LBs I’d take over him, for sure.

As far as the safety class goes, I disagree with it being a weak one. There’s a solid about of depth, even if it lacks a significant first round lock type talent. I think a similar mistake is being made with a number of positions that get downplayed solely because there’s no premier, signature player.

I like a lot of guys in this safety class, and I think we could find a high quality player even if we hold off a while.

If I had to pick mid rd corners to convert, I’d guess the following:
Terell Smith, Minnesota
Mekhi Garner, LSU
Cory Trice, Purdue

All are good enough athletes to assume they can switch, but to me profile more as zone guys than quicker twitch cover guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 08:10:16 PM »
Mapu is a big nickel.  You don’t see too many players as physical as him that can run and cover.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 04:00:37 AM »
Mapu is a big nickel.  You don’t see too many players as physical as him that can run and cover.
He’s a smart, versatile player, but I don’t see any elite traits that make me think his transition will be a natural one. He’s an ok athlete and, to me, not super physical, which makes me think he’s probably just a rotation guy/special teamer long term. I don’t see anything special that would make me slot him over a Charlie Thomas or a Trey Dean as a later round guy.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 08:17:59 AM »
not super physical

I thought he was one of the most physical players at the Senior Bowl and it shows up in Sac State games too.

Tags: