Author Topic: RIP to the 2023 New York Yankees season  (Read 19517 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: 2023 New York Yankees season
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2023, 05:57:45 PM »
Still can't believe we actually entered the season with this offensive roster.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2023, 09:49:31 PM »
Still can't believe we actually entered the season with this offensive roster.

Huh? Are you saying it's a problem?

I guess if you count that Donaldson was the starting 3B, but otherwise, I don't think it's a bad lineup at all. For the first time in decades there is significant balance of power, OBP, and speed.

They may have a stinker once a week, but overall, this team is going to score a lot. Especially with all the new rules. The biggest concern is on the mound, and hopefully we'll have that settled from August on.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2023, 01:39:58 AM »
Huh? Are you saying it's a problem?

I guess if you count that Donaldson was the starting 3B, but otherwise, I don't think it's a bad lineup at all. For the first time in decades there is significant balance of power, OBP, and speed.

They may have a stinker once a week, but overall, this team is going to score a lot. Especially with all the new rules. The biggest concern is on the mound, and hopefully we'll have that settled from August on.
Donaldson and the outfield. Figured there would be another move coming in the outfield. Kind of shocked they went into the season like this, especially after the Bader injury. Donaldson had negative trade value and is at least useful defensively, so I understand why they kept him at third. I figured they would do something in outfield besides Franchy Cordero.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2023, 11:31:16 AM »
Jhony Brito, so far so good

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2023, 08:53:43 AM »
Donaldson and the outfield. Figured there would be another move coming in the outfield. Kind of shocked they went into the season like this, especially after the Bader injury. Donaldson had negative trade value and is at least useful defensively, so I understand why they kept him at third. I figured they would do something in outfield besides Franchy Cordero.

Franchy was a good move. It was surprising he got let go, so it was a no downside acquisition. As for the rest of the outfield, they want Stanton to play out there a couple of times a week. Judge is the starting CF until Bader is healthy. Cabrera has earned his spot to play every day and brings some small ball elements to this team, which we've needed for ages.

You can make an argument that Hicks is still consuming a 40-man spot, but until he turns a corner and shows he can still play, he's near impossible to be rid of.

I'm glad they didn't make any other moves with OF. Bader will be back fairly soon and then there's a logjam for playing time. Again, Donaldson is my only downside, but that issue resolved itself. Pitching is still the real concern.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2023, 10:15:18 AM »
I'm glad you guys didn't end up trading for Varsho...hes been pretty good for us so far.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2023, 05:08:41 PM »
I'm glad you guys didn't end up trading for Varsho...hes been pretty good for us so far.
The only hypothetical trade I'm annoyed didn't happen for us is Bryan Reynolds.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2023, 07:49:43 AM »

I was too, but then I saw he doesn't want to play for a big media team. I'd much prefer a guy realize beforehand he can't handle NY than be the next Joey Gallo/Kenny Rogers/Randy Johnson/etc.

Besides, we have Franchy Cordero now. Problem solved.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2023, 09:23:16 AM »
Cole, Cortes & Brito:
6-0, 32.2 IP, 1.38 ERA, 10 BB, 35 K

Schmidt & German:
0-1, 14.1 IP, 7.53 ERA, 9 BB, 16 K

Need Rodon and Sevy back for the fully operational death star

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2023, 11:29:55 AM »

The proposed package for him was ridiculous. I forget if it was confirmed but I thought it was Peraza/Volpe plus Jasson plus other top prospects.

He is on fire though
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2023, 11:31:10 AM »
Cole, Cortes & Brito:
6-0, 32.2 IP, 1.38 ERA, 10 BB, 35 K

Schmidt & German:
0-1, 14.1 IP, 7.53 ERA, 9 BB, 16 K

Need Rodon and Sevy back for the fully operational death star

Didn’t have high expectations for Schmidt/German but they’ve been very disappointing. Both pitching well below their potential. One of them should be able to figure it out
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2023, 11:37:24 AM »
The proposed package for him was ridiculous. I forget if it was confirmed but I thought it was Peraza/Volpe plus Jasson plus other top prospects.

He is on fire though
Yeah, that was the issue with Reynolds trade.

That said, if you told the Yanks he would hit like this, maybe we would have done it...

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2023, 02:02:25 PM »
Didn’t have high expectations for Schmidt/German but they’ve been very disappointing. Both pitching well below their potential. One of them should be able to figure it out

I feel like German will do fine as a middle reliever. If he can just come in every couple of days and throw as hard as he can for 20 pitches, I think he'll thrive.

I guess the same is sort of true for Schmidt. He looks good for a couple of innings, then falls off a cliff. I think Scmidt's the better pitcher and will get more high-leverage spots, but I think both have a future in the 5th through 7th.

Now if only we could have a healthy Lasagna or Kahnle to bridge to Holmes. Thank goodness for Wandy.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2023, 02:03:08 PM »
FFS, now Rodon has back tightness which is going to set him back.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2023, 02:34:18 PM »
I think German is a 4th or 5th starter. I'm not that worried about him, but my expectations aren't really high.

I've wanted to buy into Clarke, but the same issues he used to have are still plaguing him. He's not good the 2nd time through an order. Starting to think he's a long-term reliever.

At least Brito has been really good in a very small sample.

Tags: