Author Topic: 2023 Jets pre-draft visits (top 30)  (Read 3315 times)

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: 2023 Jets pre-draft visits (top 30)
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2023, 04:10:36 PM »
Are the visits over now? Anyone want to compile the final list?

From walterfootball:

Jayson Ademilola, Defensive Tackle, Notre Dame (PRI)
Jarrick Bernard-Converse, Cornerback, LSU (PRI)
Brian Branch, Safety, Alabama (COM)
Julius Brents, Cornerback, Kansas State (COM)
Ji'Ayir Brown, Safety, Penn State (COM)
Sean Clifford, Quarterback, Penn State (LOC)
McClendon Curtis, Offensive Guard, Chattanooga (VIR)
Braeden Daniels, Offensive Guard, Utah (PRO)
Tommy Devito, Quarterback, Illinois (LOC)
Joey Fisher^, Offensive Tackle, Shepherd (PRO, PRI)
Bryce Ford-Wheaton, Wide Receiver, West Virginia (COM)
Anton Harrison, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma (PRI)
Daiyan Henley, Linebacker, Washington State (PRI)
Andrei Iosivas, Wide Receiver, Princeton (LOC)
Paris Johnson, Offensive Guard, Ohio State (PRI)
Broderick Jones, Offensive Tackle, Georgia (PRI)
Truman Jones, Defensive End, Harvard (WOR)
Brodric Martin, Defensive Tackle, Western Kentucky (WOR)
DeWayne McBride, Running Back, UAB (PRI)
Ventrell Miller, Inside Linebacker, Florida (PRO)
Reid Nickerson, Outside Linebacker, Yale (LOC)
B.J. Ojulari, Defensive End, LSU (PRI)
Trevor Reid, Offensive Tackle, Louisville (PRO)
Nick Saldiveri, Offensive Guard, Old Dominion (VIR)
John Michael Schmitz^, Center, Minnesota (COM, PRI, WOR, PRO)
Luke Schoonmaker^, Tight End, Michigan (PRO, PRI)
Mazi Smith, Defensive Tackle, Michigan (PRO)
Tyler Steen, Offensive Tackle, Alabama (PRI)
Jason Taylor, Safety, Oklahoma State (PRI)
Starling Thomas, Cornerback, UAB (PRO)
Tre Tucker, Wide Receiver, Cincinnati (PRO)
Carrington Valentine^, Cornerback, Kentucky (PRO, VIR)
Jake Witt, Offensive Tackle, Michigan Tech (VIR)
Owen Wright, Running Back, Monmouth (NJ) (LOC)
Chandler Zavala, Offensive Guard, N.C. State (PRI)

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2023, 04:16:36 PM »
It doesn't necessarily mean we haven't met with them, and even if we hadn't, it doesn't necessarily mean we wouldn't draft them, but I find the lack of quality interior linemen on that list to be suggestive.  I truly believe we're not going to sit and wait to see which center falls to us on Friday. 

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2023, 05:23:57 PM »
I couldn't care less that a first round lineman is 24 years old.  What's the concern there, that he'll start to wear down early into his second contract?  Who gives a freak? 

If it were a running back, I'd be concerned that he'd wear out during his first five years.  I'm also generally averse to taking older players late in the draft, because they'll need years to develop.  But we've got a gaping hole on the roster right in front of the player some people expect will lead us to the promised land in the next two years.  Motherfuck worrying about whether the best center in the draft is going to have an eight-year or ten-year career. 

You misunderstood my referencing his age. It's not his long-term durability that I'm concerned about. Older players are generally less projectable/valuable than their younger counterparts. The most recent example that applies directly to us was when we chose Marcus Maye over Marcus Williams (I know, different position but I think it really exemplifies what I'm talking about). In this case, Tippmann is generally thought to be on par with JMS as a prospect but is two years younger so it's easier to project further development and a second contract. In general, I'm opposed to trading up for non-premium positions but especially when the player we're considering trading up for (or a comparable, younger one) could very easily be available when we pick.

If Joe Douglas believes that JMS is a significantly better prospect than Tippmann and a good enough one to justify trading up for despite his position and age, so be it, but it's a difficult argument for me to buy into and, for the record, if this was Linderbaum last year (who was the consensus #1 center prospect and generally thought to be one of the better ones in recent memory), I'd feel differently about this issue but still probably wouldn't want to trade up.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 05:39:30 PM by Andrew Ryan »

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2023, 06:54:58 PM »
You misunderstood my referencing his age. It's not his long-term durability that I'm concerned about. Older players are generally less projectable/valuable than their younger counterparts.

Are you suggesting that players drafted young get a boost of sorts in their professional development as they grow into peak physical maturity that older players already experienced during college?  I can respect that, but I don't think the difference in value is as significant as you do. 

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2023, 08:16:02 PM »
Are you suggesting that players drafted young get a boost of sorts in their professional development as they grow into peak physical maturity that older players already experienced during college?  I can respect that, but I don't think the difference in value is as significant as you do. 

Yes, I think it's enough to give one similarly rated prospect an edge over another (particularly at a position where there's already a difficult value proposition).

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2023, 02:03:32 PM »
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/04/minnesota-c-john-michael-schmitz-receiving-lots-of-interest

fwiw: number of first rounds picks since 2000:

-Wisconsin 15
-Minnesota  3

JMSchmidt will probably be gone by 42/43 so Tippmann looks like the pick if JD goes IOL (unless somehow O’Cyrus Torrance…no, no way ..nvrmnd)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2023, 02:13:04 PM »
please draft Keaton Mitchell
Do we need to draft him? Feels he might be a priority UDFA.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2023, 03:15:19 PM »
Do we need to draft him? Feels he might be a priority UDFA.

Based on what? 

He has elite speed, return ability, and he catches the ball as good as any back in this draft class.  He'd be great value in the 4th round or later.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2023, 03:22:58 PM »
Based on what? 

He has elite speed, return ability, and he catches the ball as good as any back in this draft class.  He'd be great value in the 4th round or later.

He's also about the same size as Greg Dortch (5'8" 179 vs 5'7" 175).
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2023, 06:53:38 PM »
He's also about the same size as Greg Dortch (5'8" 179 vs 5'7" 175).
This. I like Mitchell as a return guy/speed guy. I'm fine with him as a late-round pick, but he's so small. Him and Deuce Vaughn are two small guys that are great pass catchers that could be had late.

I just googled NFL 7-round mock and clicked the first one I saw (Chad Reuter), and he was a 7th-rd pick and the final RB taken in the draft.

I'm fine with Mitchell in the 5th or later. You're just taking flyers at that point anyway. But I would not be surprised if he's undrafted.

Tags: