Author Topic: Aaron Rodgers, take 2  (Read 70356 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Aaron Rodgers, take 2
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2023, 04:01:00 PM »
Teams like the 49ers and Rams have made the SB without elite QB play but they also tend to have stupid unrealistic dream teams with the best coaching in the league

The majority of other contenders tend to just be elite QB's with elite wideouts probably having 1st ballot HOFs at both.

For us to be a legit contender in the immediate near future I think we either need to end up with a MVP conversation Rodgers. Or just a good/very good QB with ridiculously elite wideout play.
I agree with dcm?  excrement I'm wrong.

I think our best chance is with Rodgers having a good Rodgers season.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2023, 05:00:34 PM »
I agree with dcm?  excrement I'm wrong.

I think our best chance is with Rodgers having a good Rodgers season.

Rodgers unquestionably gives us the best shot at winning one in the next 2 years

But if we sign Carr we can afford to draft a slew of wideouts/OT/pass rushers while not worrying about having given all our picks away and not having the cap space to re sign some of our young talent. And we don't have to do any stupid desperation excrement to address QB in the immediate future

Rodgers gives us the best at winning it all in the next 2 years, but I think Carr gives us the best chance at winning one period, albeit over a 5-7 year timeline

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 05:10:20 PM »
Rodgers unquestionably gives us the best shot at winning one in the next 2 years

But if we sign Carr we can afford to draft a slew of wideouts/OT/pass rushers while not worrying about having given all our picks away and not having the cap space to re sign some of our young talent. And we don't have to do any stupid desperation excrement to address QB in the immediate future

Rodgers gives us the best at winning it all in the next 2 years, but I think Carr gives us the best chance at winning one period, albeit over a 5-7 year timeline
This presumes that there is a slew of good wideouts, OTs and pass rushers on the market for ua to throw money at, which is generally not the case.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2023, 05:27:58 PM »
This presumes that there is a slew of good wideouts, OTs and pass rushers on the market for ua to throw money at, which is generally not the case.

By afford I meant with all resources, which includes the draft

We'll be giving up prime picks for Rodgers, plus we'll obviously have to address the QB position essentially imminently with Rodgers.

With Carr you have more cap space, more draft picks, and can take our time evaluating more conservative options at QB. Which means we can focus on pass rushers, wideout, and tackles

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2023, 06:06:59 PM »
I want the best possible quarterback play over the next two years (Rodgers), which will hopefully allow us to win while developing a successor.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 06:10:27 PM by Andrew Ryan »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2023, 06:29:41 PM »
I want the best possible quarterback play over the next two years (Rodgers), which will hopefully allow us to win while developing a successor.

Wouldn't developing a successor involve having a successor to develop?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2023, 10:34:19 AM »
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35701332

Tanny and Damien Woody on Rodgers vs Carr

TLDR both think Carr is the no-brainer better move

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2023, 10:35:56 AM »
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35701332

Tanny and Damien Woody on Rodgers vs Carr

TLDR both think Carr is the no-brainer better move
They're both correct
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2023, 10:42:10 AM »

Developing a successor is arguably a waste, even. Bucs spent a 2nd on Trask with Brady where they could have gotten a contributor, although how good Trask is remains to be seen.

I still think Rodgers is the better move, though. It's hard to see us being top competitors in the AFC with Carr even if you can add a bit more talent. I can see it with Rodgers.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2023, 10:42:10 AM »
If they were both free agents, Rodgers make the most sense based on familiarity with scheme plus the headlines that Woody wants to generate. 

...but as we all know, they aren't both free agents.

We are not a QB away from a championship.  We are maybe a QB away from competing for a playoff spot consistently.

Like Damien Woody said in that clip, what is a QB going to do for the Jets if we can't block for him?  We need that #13 overall pick.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2023, 10:50:08 AM »
Rodgers is the better option, but it depends on what intel they have on what their chances are to land him.  Do they even know whether he will be an option at all for anyone besides GB or his couch, let alone what their odds are if he declared he was open for business for any team in the AFC (he isn't going to the NFC).  No one seems to have any idea what Rodgers is thinking, as he has stated many times.

If you don't have some sort of solid clue you are high in the running for Rodgers, I don't think you can risk waiting around and getting stuck with Brissett or Mayfield. 

The other concern is whether Carr is even significantly interested in playing for the Jets.  Only the Jets know how things went on the visit this weekend.  He might have just smiled and nodded and that's it.  He might have jizzed in his pants when he met the front office and begged to sign here, who knows?

Another question is whether they think Carr is a significantly better option than Tannehill or Jimmy G.  Tannehill may not even be an option at all since he isn't guaranteed to be released at all.  Carr is younger than Tannehill, but if the salary is markedly higher for Carr, maybe he isn't that much more talented to justify it.

It's gonna be fun times the next few weeks.   Lots of unanswered questions.

-Who do they prefer?
-Who do they think they have a good chance at getting?
-Do the Jets have any back channel info about interest from the QBs?
-Who is the favorite option after Carr and Rodgers?
-Who shot JR?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:53:32 AM by bojanglesman »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2023, 10:55:46 AM »
Dark horse outcome:  the Ravens trade Lamar to the Falcons for two 1st rounders and some other picks, Ravens trade for Rodgers and give up their 1st rounder, netting 2 first rounders and Rodgers for less than they'd probably have paid Lamar.  Only downside is the narrowed window.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2023, 10:56:33 AM »
If they were both free agents, Rodgers make the most sense based on familiarity with scheme plus the headlines that Woody wants to generate. 

...but as we all know, they aren't both free agents.

We are not a QB away from a championship.  We are maybe a QB away from competing for a playoff spot consistently.

Like Damien Woody said in that clip, what is a QB going to do for the Jets if we can't block for him?  We need that #13 overall pick.
I think we are an average QB from being a playoff team and a top QB from being a title team. If Rodgers can be a top-5 QB at this age, they can absolutely compete for a title. The roster has talent. Obviously, the OL will need to be fixed, but even if we only address Rodgers and the OL, we have a chance to win at a hgh level.

I'm fine with either Carr or Rodgers (or Tannehill). It's a tricky solution at QB, and it's hard to have a concrete answer of what I would want most without seeing the salaries and draft compensation.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2023, 10:57:50 AM »
We have 14 people on here? Wow.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2023, 10:59:46 AM »
I think we are an average QB from being a playoff team and a top QB from being a title team. If Rodgers can be a top-5 QB at this age, they can absolutely compete for a title. The roster has talent. Obviously, the OL will need to be fixed, but even if we only address Rodgers and the OL, we have a chance to win at a hgh level.

I'm fine with either Carr or Rodgers (or Tannehill). It's a tricky solution at QB, and it's hard to have a concrete answer of what I would want most without seeing the salaries and draft compensation.

Not to say that we don't need help on the OL, but having Rodgers under center will cover for some OL issues, seeing that he is smart enough to know what's coming and when to check down, throw it away, adjust to the coverage, etc.  Those concepts have been foreign to us for a few years.

Tags: