Author Topic: Aaron Rodgers, take 2  (Read 69861 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Aaron Rodgers, take 2
« on: February 19, 2023, 10:05:02 AM »
While we're waiting, choose your fighter.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 03:30:29 PM by Heismanberg »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Aaron Rodgers, take 2
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 10:16:04 AM »
Yes
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 10:20:49 AM »
I can't wait to see how all 4 of us vote

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 10:36:56 AM »
Haha

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 10:46:14 AM »
Quality over quantity
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 10:54:19 AM »
Quality over quantity
I'll scrounge up some vcash to make it interesting.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 01:27:18 PM »
Hard to answer this without seeing the salaries or draft picks involved.

Without draft compensation...
1a. Rodgers
1b. Lamar
(gap)
2a. Carr
2b. Tannehill
3. Garoppolo
(gap)
4. Everyone else

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 01:51:20 PM »

1a. Rodgers
1b. Lamar
(gap)
2a. Carr
2b. Tannehill
3. Garoppolo
(gap)
4. Everyone else
Who cares about salaries...it's not our money.

Draft compensation is the factor.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 01:58:11 PM »
Who cares about salaries...it's not our money.

Draft compensation is the factor.
There is a salary cap in the NFL. Draft compensation matters more, but Derek Carr is basically the 2023 Kirk Cousins. He'll guarantee you average QB play for top QB money. If you think that the rest of the roster is good enough to win a title with average QB play, you make the move.

I think we're good enough to be a playoff team with average QB play. I'm not sure if we're a legit Super Bowl contender.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 02:00:46 PM »
There is a salary cap in the NFL. Draft compensation matters more, but Derek Carr is basically the 2023 Kirk Cousins. He'll guarantee you average QB play for top QB money. If you think that the rest of the roster is good enough to win a title with average QB play, you make the move.

I think we're good enough to be a playoff team with average QB play. I'm not sure if we're a legit Super Bowl contender.
The NFL salary cap is massive and it will grow another 20+ million for this season.  It's not like it's going to choke you out like the NHL salary cap.

I trust JD to handle the cap to the team's advantage.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 03:25:49 PM »
We'll have like two actual days of cold next season so that probably won't be a factor unless the team relocates to Winnipeg for brand synergy.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 03:43:16 PM »

That is well said.  This isn't a deep playoff caliber team without an elite QB.  We aren't the 49ers.  We have a good defense, but there isn't depth.  Imagine our defense if either of our corners misses time. 

Look at the rosters of the Bills, 49ers, Chiefs, and Eagles.  Now look at the Jets. 

Last year's draft put us in a much better spot, but we don't have 4 picks in the top 36 this year.  We don't have a ton of cap space this year. 

Rodgers is the only possibly available QB that could get us near the Super Bowl.  We'd have a fun season with Carr, Tannehill, and Jimmy G, but that's as far as it goes unless we get very fortunate with some low cost free agents and the top of our draft.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 03:45:19 PM »

1a. Rodgers
1b. Lamar
(gap)
2a. Carr
2b. Tannehill
3. Garoppolo
(gap)
4. Everyone else

The only compensation that's a real question mark is Rodgers. And I think it's a reasonable assumption at this point that he will cost at least a 1st, and probably more than a 1st if this year's is off the table

Carr is a little bit of a contract question mark and takes some speculation. But I'd think he'll be in the conversation of Cousins and Dak

Which is absolutely more than he's worth

But he's also a UFA QB so you're going to pay a premium

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 03:53:08 PM »

That is well said.  This isn't a deep playoff caliber team without an elite QB.  We aren't the 49ers.  We have a good defense, but there isn't depth.  Imagine our defense if either of our corners misses time. 

Look at the rosters of the Bills, 49ers, Chiefs, and Eagles.  Now look at the Jets. 

Last year's draft put us in a much better spot, but we don't have 4 picks in the top 36 this year.  We don't have a ton of cap space this year. 

Rodgers is the only possibly available QB that could get us near the Super Bowl.  We'd have a fun season with Carr, Tannehill, and Jimmy G, but that's as far as it goes unless we get very fortunate with some low cost free agents and the top of our draft.

Teams like the 49ers and Rams have made the SB without elite QB play but they also tend to have stupid unrealistic dream teams with the best coaching in the league

The majority of other contenders tend to just be elite QB's with elite wideouts probably having 1st ballot HOFs at both.

For us to be a legit contender in the immediate near future I think we either need to end up with a MVP conversation Rodgers. Or just a good/very good QB with ridiculously elite wideout play.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 03:58:41 PM »
We'll have like two actual days of cold next season so that probably won't be a factor unless the team relocates to Winnipeg for brand synergy.
We will be 8-3 by the end of November and then the coldest winter in decades will set in over the US causing Carr to fall apart, lose the remaining 6 games, and we miss the playoffs by one game.

Just Jets things.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: