Author Topic: New York Jets Miscellanea  (Read 797375 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: New York Jets Miscellanea
« Reply #8205 on: February 28, 2024, 01:28:09 PM »
I don't think he was ever on our staff, but he was on our team in 2009-10.

Oh right..he was our 3rd stringer for 3 seasons.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #8206 on: February 29, 2024, 03:48:35 AM »
If you go, will you slap the excrement out of Gustoon for all of us?

Promised

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #8207 on: February 29, 2024, 07:10:32 AM »
uSTADIUM
@uSTADIUM
6 teams will propose pushing the NFL Trade Deadline back two weeks from Week 8 to Week 10, per @jjones9

The #Browns, #Eagles, #Jets, #49ers, #Lions and #Commanders are the 6 teams that are set to propose it.

The idea behind it is to increase trade activity and intrigue as teams believed the deadline is too early to decide if they are buyers or sellers.

Right now it’s believed that owners are split on the idea, as they believe pushing the deadline back will increase tanking.

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #8208 on: February 29, 2024, 08:14:43 AM »
Why would pushing back the deadline increase tanking? I don't understand this thinking in sports. If you can trade later, you can make your team better later, so you can fight a little longer to stay in the hunt. Once the deadline comes, if you feel like you're out of it and you sell, you have nothing but the tank to look forward to.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #8209 on: February 29, 2024, 08:21:15 AM »
Why would pushing back the deadline increase tanking? I don't understand this thinking in sports. If you can trade later, you can make your team better later, so you can fight a little longer to stay in the hunt. Once the deadline comes, if you feel like you're out of it and you sell, you have nothing but the tank to look forward to.

Because if there's less season left you have more idea of your chances of making the playoffs, and thus teams will become more motivated sellers at the deadline. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing if the NFL ends up with the concept of rentals in the way hockey does.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8210 on: February 29, 2024, 08:34:50 AM »
As of now I don't really have a problem with it.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #8211 on: February 29, 2024, 08:35:31 AM »
Because if there's less season left you have more idea of your chances of making the playoffs, and thus teams will become more motivated sellers at the deadline. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing if the NFL ends up with the concept of rentals in the way hockey does.

Right, which is why having more time after the deadline like now should logically increase tanking rather than the other way around. A shorter post-deadline period should keep more teams fighting for longer before giving up.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8212 on: February 29, 2024, 08:59:13 AM »
Right, which is why having more time after the deadline like now should logically increase tanking rather than the other way around. A shorter post-deadline period should keep more teams fighting for longer before giving up.

The Cleveland GM had an interesting set of data on it in a press chat at the Combine - essentially the NFL deadline comes 45% of the way through the season at which point virtually no one is out of the running, so teams are reluctant to sell unless it's a disgruntled player or a deal you can't refuse. By moving it later which would be more in line with other sports, teams are likely to be more realistic about playoff chances and sell to tank.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #8213 on: February 29, 2024, 10:45:20 AM »
The Cleveland GM had an interesting set of data on it in a press chat at the Combine - essentially the NFL deadline comes 45% of the way through the season at which point virtually no one is out of the running, so teams are reluctant to sell unless it's a disgruntled player or a deal you can't refuse. By moving it later which would be more in line with other sports, teams are likely to be more realistic about playoff chances and sell to tank.

I just think those same teams are going to tank anyway. They may as well get assets to assist in the next rebuild and teams that are in the hunt can improve. I'm a fan of pushing trade deadlines later in other sports too. I didn't like baseball dumping the waiver trade deadline; I'd have preferred they change it to an extended regular deadline. Later deadlines make better playoff teams while helping bad teams work on their future.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8214 on: February 29, 2024, 10:47:35 AM »
I just think those same teams are going to tank anyway. They may as well get assets to assist in the next rebuild and teams that are in the hunt can improve. I'm a fan of pushing trade deadlines later in other sports too. I didn't like baseball dumping the waiver trade deadline; I'd have preferred they change it to an extended regular deadline. Later deadlines make better playoff teams while helping bad teams work on their future.

100% agree, it would make the deadline more interesting and more useful to teams on both the buy and sell side.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8215 on: February 29, 2024, 03:05:16 PM »
100% agree, it would make the deadline more interesting and more useful to teams on both the buy and sell side.

This is how it should be presented.

Everyone wants more competitive post season play. Which teams that are going for it, need to be able to “buy” and they can only do that if teams are willing to sell. Right now the NFL deadline is usually the quietest of all the major sports. A later deadline means that activity increases, theoretically, playoff teams are making a push to win it all, or “almost” teams are trying to buy their way in. Teams out of it, or setting up a rebuild have a better chance of getting assets to rebuild quicker and they are already focused on getting younger guys who are part of the future PT anyways

And it’s definitely better marketing stuff for the NFL to have a big deadline day. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 03:06:48 PM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #8216 on: February 29, 2024, 04:55:53 PM »
We all agree - I'll let Goodell know we gave it the green light.