Author Topic: New York Jets Miscellanea  (Read 797787 times)

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: New York Jets Miscellanea
« Reply #7935 on: June 05, 2023, 02:28:49 PM »
how many more oline signings do you want?  JD went ape excrement signing oline depth all offseason.

How many more running backs do you want?  We've spent a 4th, a 5th, and a high 2nd trade-up on backs in as many years. 

We've got a career journeyman in Bill Turner, three tackles returning from major injury (the best of whom is 38-years-old) and a developmental prospect.  The rest of them are bodies.  I don't know how you can look at that pile and think, "Yeah, we're set."

It makes me think of the jenga scene in The Big Short.  Here's a big pile of questionable excrement, but if the pile is big enough, we'll be fine. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 02:31:38 PM by reuben »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #7936 on: June 05, 2023, 02:54:46 PM »

How many more running backs do you want? 

At least three.

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #7937 on: June 05, 2023, 02:57:39 PM »

At least three.

Best I can do is a mustachioed man named Jy Tohnson.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #7938 on: June 05, 2023, 03:16:51 PM »
Not Q, not wanted.
There is money earmarked for Q...not worried about him
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #7939 on: June 05, 2023, 03:18:36 PM »
How many more running backs do you want?  We've spent a 4th, a 5th, and a high 2nd trade-up on backs in as many years. 

We've got a career journeyman in Bill Turner, three tackles returning from major injury (the best of whom is 38-years-old) and a developmental prospect.  The rest of them are bodies.  I don't know how you can look at that pile and think, "Yeah, we're set."

It makes me think of the jenga scene in The Big Short.  Here's a big pile of questionable excrement, but if the pile is big enough, we'll be fine.
I never said I wanted more HBs....but HB talent becomes available a lot easier than OL talent.  So you build where you can.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7940 on: June 05, 2023, 03:58:42 PM »
There is money earmarked for Q...not worried about him

Still don't care
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #7941 on: June 05, 2023, 04:00:23 PM »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7942 on: June 05, 2023, 04:45:22 PM »
I'd rather give 120 carries to Dalvin Cook than Carter/Knight/Abanikanda. Cook makes a ton of sense.

Our backup RBs are mostly unproven. Carter was good as a rookie but they liked Bam and Ty over him last year. Bam was OK but doesn't look special. Abanikanda was a good pick, but he's still a rookie 5th-round pick. That's a group that we can easily upgrade with a veteran on a team that wants to win now. Plus, Breece is coming off an ACL, so there are some lingering questions there. And we rotate running backs anyway.

I always thought Fournette was the guy we might bring in as a veteran RB who can be insurance if Hall isn't ready or if Rodgers and the staff don't trust the young guys. Cook is a much better option. Dalvin isn't as effective as he once was, but he's still good, and he's a clear upgrade.

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #7943 on: June 05, 2023, 05:59:59 PM »

I never said I wanted more HBs....but HB talent becomes available a lot easier than OL talent.

The reason for that is smart GM's don't waste money on running backs.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #7944 on: June 05, 2023, 06:09:17 PM »

Cook isn't going to get ridiculous money like Le'veon did

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #7945 on: June 05, 2023, 07:48:01 PM »

We've got a career journeyman in Bill Turner, three tackles returning from major injury (the best of whom is 38-years-old) and a developmental prospect.  The rest of them are bodies.
I don't know how you can look at that pile and think, "Yeah, we're set."

^ This. 

OL: JAGS in numbers = oodles of ‘meh’

Cook: carries a cap hit of over $14 million
Rogers: Jets still need to restructure AR’s current contract?
QW: long-term extension yet to be finalized

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7946 on: June 05, 2023, 08:24:27 PM »

Is 4-5 million dollars to upgrade to a top 5 RB room in the sport wasting money? I don’t think so.

I’d rather have Mike Evans, but to steal a line from a YouTuber, we need to stop saying “this is good enough” when chances to upgrade are on the table. Cook makes us a better team, if the salary is reasonable, it’s worth a serious inquiry if he’s ok being RB 2 getting 200 touches this season while Hall gets up to speed.

If he wants $8-$10 million, he’s not going to a contender, he’s going to a bottom feeder with cash, which won’t be us.

This of course all presumes that Cook get cut, because as you said no one wants that contract.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:27:44 PM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #7947 on: June 05, 2023, 08:49:58 PM »
Is 4-5 million dollars to upgrade to a top 5 RB room in the sport wasting money? I don’t think so.

I mean... yeah, if Dalvin Cook wants four million a year, he's more than welcome to come here.  Maybe you guys have a better read on Cook's market value than I do, but I'm seeing a guy who averaged 1600 yards a season over his last four (pro bowl) seasons.  He can and should be looking to get one last big contract.  Elsewhere. 

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #7948 on: June 05, 2023, 08:51:43 PM »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7949 on: June 06, 2023, 03:59:07 AM »
I mean... yeah, if Dalvin Cook wants four million a year, he's more than welcome to come here.  Maybe you guys have a better read on Cook's market value than I do, but I'm seeing a guy who averaged 1600 yards a season over his last four (pro bowl) seasons.  He can and should be looking to get one last big contract.  Elsewhere. 

I agree with what Grant said. Not worth big bucks, especially to us. I also believe if anybody was even close to valuing him at 14 somebody would trade a 7th for him.

Id much rather trade for Derick Henry and his $10 million salary than pay cook 8. Hes now a good back in the league but not a star. But he has “the name” value, which means somebody will offer him Monday. Cook will likely need to decide what he wants. If he wants to win, he won’t be playing for much money. If he wants to make the most money he’s likely to not be doing much winning.

He needs to be cut first, and then we shall see, but I’d venture he gets 5-8. 8 from a Texans/Panthers level team, and 5 from a team like the Jets,bills, dolphins etc
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 04:01:00 AM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...