Author Topic: New York Jets Miscellanea  (Read 797173 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: New York Jets Miscellanea
« Reply #5535 on: December 13, 2019, 02:45:04 PM »
Beckham's second team in two years is giving up on him, despite his talent. Makes total sense to bring him in. He can lead the second ring of the circus.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5536 on: December 13, 2019, 02:51:36 PM »
Beckham's second team in two years is giving up on him, despite his talent. Makes total sense to bring him in. He can lead the second ring of the circus.
That's exactly the time you bring a player like that in... We know Beckham is talented. If you can buy relatively low, that's when you make the move. We badly need a guy like that in out passing game.

Obviously OL is the primary need but we still need a WR. I'm not around Beckham so maybe he is a cancer - he's definitely a diva - but he would walk in as the most explosive receiver we have had in my lifetime.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #5537 on: December 13, 2019, 02:56:38 PM »
Beckham would be the most talented offensive player this team has ever had. 

He would make Sam's job so much easier.  Who cares if he's a dick? 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #5538 on: December 13, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
That's exactly the time you bring a player like that in... We know Beckham is talented. If you can buy relatively low, that's when you make the move. We badly need a guy like that in out passing game.

Obviously OL is the primary need but we still need a WR. I'm not around Beckham so maybe he is a cancer - he's definitely a diva - but he would walk in as the most explosive receiver we have had in my lifetime.

Again, two teams in two years are giving up on him despite his talent. And we're not exactly talking about the Patriots here.

We need talented players. We do not need headcases.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5539 on: December 13, 2019, 03:03:07 PM »
Again, two teams in two years are giving up on him despite his talent. And we're not exactly talking about the Patriots here.

We need talented players. We do not need headcases.

I don't think we can set much store by the Browns given what a dysfunctional mess they are under Kitchens and with that tosser of a QB.

Beckham's a diva, but diva wideouts are hardly a new thing. He's not a headcase like an Antonio Brown - give him the ball a lot and he'll be your best teammate. The idea of Darnold having Beckham, Anderson, Crowder, Bell and Herndon/Griffin as receiving options makes me slightly moist, and it also means that WR comes off the draft board as a need allowing us to focus more resources on OL and CB.

It's an unreserved yes from me.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5540 on: December 13, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »
Beckham would be the most talented offensive player this team has ever had. 

He would make Sam's job so much easier.  Who cares if he's a dick? 

We've gone with this mentality before and it has hurt the team. Santonio hurt the team. Plax hurt the team. The Jets do not fare well with talented WRs with baggage. We have the benefit of history to look at here.

He's already going to be let go by a struggling team due to his poopchute behavior being a detriment. I don't see a reality where he winds up being much better for the Jets next season.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5541 on: December 13, 2019, 03:06:19 PM »
I don't think we can set much store by the Browns given what a dysfunctional mess they are under Kitchens and with that tosser of a QB.

Beckham's a diva, but diva wideouts are hardly a new thing. He's not a headcase like an Antonio Brown - give him the ball a lot and he'll be your best teammate. The idea of Darnold having Beckham, Anderson, Crowder, Bell and Herndon/Griffin as receiving options makes me slightly moist, and it also means that WR comes off the draft board as a need allowing us to focus more resources on OL and CB.

It's an unreserved yes from me.

How exactly are we much better than the Browns right now? They have a better record and we are right there with them in coaching controversy. He'll be a problem first and a football player second. Hard pass.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #5542 on: December 13, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
How exactly are we much better than the Browns right now? They have a better record and we are right there with them in coaching controversy. He'll be a problem first and a football player second. Hard pass.

I'm assuming that we will be more functional next season; if we're not, it doesn't matter who you bring in. Badly run teams will continue to not get the best out of good players. I'm just saying that I'm not really going to judge Beckham based upon this season, because the Browns are bad and he's not getting the ball and so he's sulking. We've seen about a million receivers since the history of football began go through that; you reference Santonio, but when things were good with him they were really freaking good, and we didn't have someone with Sam's talent to throw him the ball.

Also, Beckham's in freaking Cleveland. That's not really where Mr Limelight belongs, he's a New York or LA kind of a guy. Just being here would make him happier. Then you have to give him the ball a lot, but I'm OK with that because when you give OBJ the ball a lot, good things tend to happen.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5543 on: December 13, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
I'm assuming that we will be more functional next season; if we're not, it doesn't matter who you bring in. Badly run teams will continue to not get the best out of good players. I'm just saying that I'm not really going to judge Beckham based upon this season, because the Browns are bad and he's not getting the ball and so he's sulking. We've seen about a million receivers since the history of football began go through that; you reference Santonio, but when things were good with him they were really freaking good, and we didn't have someone with Sam's talent to throw him the ball.

Also, Beckham's in freaking Cleveland. That's not really where Mr Limelight belongs, he's a New York or LA kind of a guy. Just being here would make him happier. Then you have to give him the ball a lot, but I'm OK with that because when you give OBJ the ball a lot, good things tend to happen.
I think you can judge Beckham from this season. This year has definitely caused his stock to drop, both on and off the field.

I just still believe in his talent and adding a weapon like that would make everything on offense run so much more smoothly.

I agree with you Beckham would be happier in a big city. I also think he would be a little more likely to fall in line because if he flamed out of 3 teams in 3 years, it would start to affect his earning potential.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5544 on: December 13, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
The most relevant thing about Beckham is asking price

If we could get that mental malcontent for a 2nd you jump on it.

But considering what the Browns paid for him and gave him a monster deal, I find it hard to imagine the asking price being reasonable.

Unless the Jets have a player to package for him (ie Adams for Beckham and a 1st, Maye and a 3rd  for Beckham etc ) I wouldn't imagine such a deal happening.

I think better teams will make far more aggressive trade offers than we can

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #5545 on: December 13, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »
plaxico was on the downside of his career and was a long time removed from his last activity in the NFL after shooting himself in the dick

santonio was still young and was a previous super bowl winning MVP, but he still was nowhere near the level of talent that OBJ is. for what it's worth, that 2010 season was obviously a really good one, so it did work, for a short period of time

i'm very wary of the attitude issues with OBJ as he seems to be more interested in twerking on and off the field than being an actual WR, but if the price was right i'd take him for sam. if the browns have a high asking price for him, i'd pass and keep the draft picks for other positions/areas of need

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #5546 on: December 13, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »
If they trade Adams for Beckham I'll camp out in Florham Park with a torch.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5547 on: December 13, 2019, 03:25:39 PM »

You have immediately disqualified this team with your first sentence.

I'll go one step further and say it will matter if we don't bring in ODB:

1) Darnold gets a reprieve for a year of the back to back bullshit wr pulled with Sanchez. Things like this absolutely matter to a locker room and you know it. You are better than this opinion.

2)I don't have to hear about the extra bullshit drama for the season.

I don't care about what city OBeckham is in. It's not like he was an upstanding citizen while he was with the Giants, hence his reason for being shipped out of city in the first place.

I love his talent but I do not want him on this team because I remember what happened the last few times we played this card; it ultimately led to some bullshit.

For all of the the times we have been shitting on Gase not being able to utilize the talent on the team properly, I'm honestly shocked anyone campaigning against Gase wouldn't see the warning signs here. Bring Beckham into this offense and we will see him being under utilized to the point of being disillusioned with the team.

We are not one Odell Beckham Jr. Away from a title, far from it. Get the solid foundations for a team in place and then we can take a shot at a talented but troubled player to fill out the roster. Until then, the possible gains are not worth the risks.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5548 on: December 13, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »

I'll happily become a Jaguars fan if that is the case.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #5549 on: December 13, 2019, 03:31:21 PM »

It's not going to happen, dcm is just obsessed with the idea of trading Adams.