Author Topic: Back Surgery - Advice Needed  (Read 460 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Back Surgery - Advice Needed
« on: December 06, 2022, 07:38:39 PM »
Hi all

As some of you know I’ve been really messed up this past month basically immobile and turns out I have a severely herniated L5-S1 disc and some other crap. So I’m now headed for surgery with a lengthy set of PT on the back end. 

Basically I’ll be out of work for another month and now I need to buy some better excrement to aid in my recovery which includes a better seating arrangement. Which means clear path to buy a high end recliner.

Does anybody have any experience with Octane Seating https://octaneseating.com/novo-heat-massage-lhror have a similar brand recliner? I’m looking at recliners with heat and massage capabilities and a power recliner. *upon further review, it seems this is pipe dream like for anything under $2000 to operate at a high level for a long period of time. *Octane seems to be 6-8 weeks for delivery, and I sure as excrement need to find something before Christmas if not sooner.

Also obviously I have been looking through the TV and Movies thread to find more ways to pass the time. If anybody has any other good recommendations for passing all your waking hours from your bed staring at the ceiling please feel free to let me know.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 08:14:28 PM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Back Surgery - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 07:46:14 PM »
excrement man, I had no idea you were suffering. Back injuries are the worst.

Good luck in your surgery. Hope you have a quick recovery.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 08:57:20 PM »
Sorry lib, feel better man.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 09:27:23 PM »
Feel better Lib, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Not sure if you're a gamer but if you're going to be in bed or on a recliner, might I recommend a Nintendo Switch.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 09:35:11 PM »
Hi all

As some of you know I’ve been really messed up this past month basically immobile and turns out I have a severely herniated L5-S1 disc and some other crap. So I’m now headed for surgery with a lengthy set of PT on the back end. 

Basically I’ll be out of work for another month and now I need to buy some better excrement to aid in my recovery which includes a better seating arrangement. Which means clear path to buy a high end recliner.

Does anybody have any experience with Octane Seating https://octaneseating.com/novo-heat-massage-lhror have a similar brand recliner? I’m looking at recliners with heat and massage capabilities and a power recliner. *upon further review, it seems this is pipe dream like for anything under $2000 to operate at a high level for a long period of time. *Octane seems to be 6-8 weeks for delivery, and I sure as excrement need to find something before Christmas if not sooner.

Also obviously I have been looking through the TV and Movies thread to find more ways to pass the time. If anybody has any other good recommendations for passing all your waking hours from your bed staring at the ceiling please feel free to let me know.

Get a PS5 and play Warzone 2 with me
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 11:10:42 PM »
Mount a TV to the ceiling and hire a hooker to come in an hour a day so you can watch film on draft prospects whie getting your nuts sucked dry.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 11:32:58 PM »
The real protip is to make sure to ask your doc for muscle relaxers and Phenergan since most docs are afraid to give out decent doses of opiods these days.

Youll just want to kindly remind them about that one time you threw your back out and the only thing that helped was some muscle relaxer that you can't remember the name of. And that you also had some nausea from the medicine they put you on and they had to put you on Phenergan
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 11:35:13 PM by dcm1602 »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 12:46:09 AM »
Appreciate the love and support fellas. But I know one of you has decked out a man cave with a damn good recliner and I need advice in that area.

And currently sitting is the most painful freaking thing ever. However reclined seating isn’t so bad… hence the need for a recliner so I can at least video game for the next 1-2 months without going completely bat excrement crazy.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 02:20:22 AM »
Ymmv but I'm very happy with whatever no name brand leather power reclining sofa I got from Costco. I just find leather way more comfortable than fabric but everyone picks their own poison.

At the end of the day I think it's a matter of do you need/want a recliner (vs say a reclining love seat or full size sofa), do you want power or traditional (I feel like power tends to be more common, though if you're > 6 ft I'd say power recliners are a suboptimal choice)

I will say, as a person who is currently vegetating in a power reclining sofa while being worked up for surgery on a blown out knee. That having multiple USB ports, AC outlets, cup holders, and a center console (that turns into a mini table) is extremely convenient when it physically pains you the more you move. Especially for charging phones game controllers plugging in heating pads etc etc it's extremely nice to have everything there. And it's a sofa so laying down is on the table too.

The ROM of a power recliner (sofa couch actual recliner whatever) leaves a little to be desired, but when supplemented with pillows (either behind your head or under your legs) it's rock solid. It's very nice to have something where the position is fixed and doesn't move with your body weight shifts or extreme jerking motions that you'd have on a traditional recliner.

On a side note having a heating pad is a godsend (even if you're not using it on your back, your body is going to freaking hurt all over from not moving).

TLDR Costco is decent quality but great value, unfortunately anything you buy is gonna be a leap of faith purchase, as they don't have in store models for most of their excrement. Costco is also God when it comes to warranties and returns which is pretty important considering there's always a fair chance of mechanical difficulties with power anything
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 02:29:57 AM by dcm1602 »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 02:37:59 AM »
Costco doesn't sell the one I bought anymore (even though I just bought it over the summer) but looking at what they have available and what's on sale etc

https://www.costco.com/zayne-leather-power-theater-recliner-with-power-headrest.product.100665812.html

Probably looks like the best bang for your buck, unless you wanted to spend double that for a power reclining sofa. Unfortunately with Costco you just gotta fall victim to what they have discounted when
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 02:39:48 AM by dcm1602 »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 06:10:10 AM »
Hope everything goes smoothly and you feel better soon. Maybe look into audio books also?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 06:40:24 AM »
Appreciate the love and support fellas. But I know one of you has decked out a man cave with a damn good recliner and I need advice in that area.

And currently sitting is the most painful freaking thing ever. However reclined seating isn’t so bad… hence the need for a recliner so I can at least video game for the next 1-2 months without going completely bat excrement crazy.

If you're going to look for a recliner, find one that's not only comfortable but very easy to get in and out of.  Albeit my leather recliner is quite comfortable, I'm not sure i'd have an easy time getting in and out of it after back surgery.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 07:59:40 AM »
My wife just had back surgery in mid-October. She was supposed to return to work tomorrow, but just got approved for 4 more weeks. It's pretty brutal

We also just moved, so we got new furniture. Got a Power Bob bed and Avenger sofa/loveseat/recliner (leather) from Bob's Discount Furniture. All power, really comfortable. She's happy with them

Some advice: it's gonna hurt, but get up and walking/doing the PT as quickly and consistently as you can force yourself. My wife didn't even leave the hospital for a week (the surgery was worse than anticipated once they were in there) and then didn't get out of bed for a couple of weeks. So we wound up in the ER for multiple blood clots in her leg

Also, while I always advise against opioids, and my wife generally hasn't taken the oxy, take everything else regularly. She's on a muscle relaxer and a pretty high dosage of Gabapentin. If she misses her regular dose the pain skyrockets and takes time to get back to bearable

On a "positive" note, while this was my wife's 2nd back surgery (different disks) and she swore she'd never do it again, she's happy she did this one. Couldn't walk to the bathroom from Labor till October 11 surgery

Best thoughts out to you man. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 08:40:27 AM »
My wife just had back surgery in mid-October. She was supposed to return to work tomorrow, but just got approved for 4 more weeks. It's pretty brutal

We also just moved, so we got new furniture. Got a Power Bob bed and Avenger sofa/loveseat/recliner (leather) from Bob's Discount Furniture. All power, really comfortable. She's happy with them

Some advice: it's gonna hurt, but get up and walking/doing the PT as quickly and consistently as you can force yourself. My wife didn't even leave the hospital for a week (the surgery was worse than anticipated once they were in there) and then didn't get out of bed for a couple of weeks. So we wound up in the ER for multiple blood clots in her leg

Also, while I always advise against opioids, and my wife generally hasn't taken the oxy, take everything else regularly. She's on a muscle relaxer and a pretty high dosage of Gabapentin. If she misses her regular dose the pain skyrockets and takes time to get back to bearable

On a "positive" note, while this was my wife's 2nd back surgery (different disks) and she swore she'd never do it again, she's happy she did this one. Couldn't walk to the bathroom from Labor till October 11 surgery

Best thoughts out to you man. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

Thankfully I’m already on the high dosage of gabapentin. Her surgery sounds much more invasive than what I will get done since mine is “only” a massive herniation to my disc. I’ll take a look at the avenger line as I have a Bobs not too far away.

Good luck to her in her recovery

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 11:29:03 AM »
Good luck with your surgery. I found a good recliner at Raymour and Flanigan. My advice is if you get a large recliner make sure it's not slippery. You do not want to be shifting too much post surgery. For instance some leather will be slicker than something cloth.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tags: