Author Topic: 2023 Veteran QB Options  (Read 51821 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: 2023 Veteran QB Options
« Reply #630 on: January 16, 2023, 04:31:18 PM »
That's a possibility but Lamar can do the same. If he doesn't want to go to the Jets then he can just not sign the tendered offer.

This is certainly a possibility.

But like i said earlier, Woody told the world he's going to spend.  "Whatever it takes".

Lamar just wants to get paid his worth...if he reaches the market, I think Woody will hand him a blank check.

Plus, this offense does have some attractive pieces with Hall and Wilson, and having a top 5 defense helps too.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #631 on: January 16, 2023, 04:32:45 PM »
you're a weird dude.  You just went balls to the wall telling me that Lamar is gonna have a short career because he runs too much....and yet, you're willing to overpay for a guy who's spent the majority of his career on the IR.

Overpaying for Jimmy G might mean paying him 25-30 million a year with limited guarantees and you can probably cut him loose at after 2 maybe 3 years with no damage done

Overpaying for Jackson will mean in excess of 50 million a year for 5-6 years with the vast majority of it guaranteed plus multiple first round picks.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #632 on: January 16, 2023, 04:34:23 PM »

Overpaying for Jackson will mean in excess of 50 million a year for 5-6 years with the vast majority of it guaranteed plus multiple first round picks.

Great, let's go.

You gotta pay to play in this league, man.

I love having draft picks, but i'm ready to win.  This roster is missing an elite QB, Lamar fills that need.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #633 on: January 16, 2023, 04:41:39 PM »
Great, let's go.

I love having draft picks, but i'm ready to win.  This roster is missing an elite QB, Lamar fills that need.

I disagree with you less on Lamar than I have on most recent things. I acknowledge his upside

I absolutely just don't want Lamar to be the top priority. But assuming all the safer options fall through, it would make for an interesting jets team.

The only things with Lamar is trading for him is by far the highest risk thing the Jets can realistically do.

And I think you need to have Lamar before hiring an OC. Because with Lamar you need to entirely and uniquely build your offense around him and his skillset

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #634 on: January 16, 2023, 04:43:46 PM »
Great, let's go.

Then why would the Ravens let him walk?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #635 on: January 16, 2023, 04:45:39 PM »
Then why would the Ravens let him walk?

He wants more than Watson and he wants it fully guaranteed. The Ravens have scoffed at both.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #636 on: January 16, 2023, 04:45:53 PM »
I'm not convinced it would be that cheap.  Lamar's an MVP.  Radioactively-toxic Deshaun Watson never was, and he commanded three firsts plus. 
I just threw out a number, but you're right - that isn't enough for the type of player Lamar has been.

That said, I wonder if last offseason will lower some of the prices. The Watson and Wilson trades were disasters. The 49ers may make the Super Bowl with a 7th-rd rookie. That might lower the cost a little bit for 2023, especially if Lamar is only signing fully guaranteed deals.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #637 on: January 16, 2023, 04:46:24 PM »
This is certainly a possibility.

But like i said earlier, Woody told the world he's going to spend.  "Whatever it takes".

Lamar just wants to get paid his worth...if he reaches the market, I think Woody will hand him a blank check.

Plus, this offense does have some attractive pieces with Hall and Wilson, and having a top 5 defense helps too.

That top 5 defense is going to be missing several key factors next season if we sell out the cap space for Lamar.

I don't think Douglas, of even Woody for that matter, are dumb enough to hinder the offseason that badly for one player, but I'm not going to say I'll be fine if the Jets get to that spot.

We already have to make some serious cuts/restructures in order to be competitive in free agency. Woody being willing to pay whatever and actually doing it are two different things here, unless we want to start operating like the Commanders.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #638 on: January 16, 2023, 04:47:09 PM »
He wants more than Watson and he wants it fully guaranteed. The Ravens have scoffed at both.

Exactly. My point is that the Ravens may be the smartest organization in the NFL and they don't want to do that. That is very worrisome to me. Especially when we would also be giving up a shitload of draft picks.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #639 on: January 16, 2023, 04:47:37 PM »
I disagree with you less on Lamar than I have on most recent things. I acknowledge his upside

I absolutely just don't want Lamar to be the top priority. But assuming all the safer options fall through, it would make for an interesting jets team.

The only things with Lamar is trading for him is by far the highest risk thing the Jets can realistically do.

And I think you need to have Lamar before hiring an OC. Because with Lamar you need to entirely and uniquely build your offense around him and his skillset

You're overthinking it.

Lamar has the QB skillset, but you add in the run aspect.  Make sure the oline is stout (this is a priority).  But, we have a running back for him to hand it off to (check) and he has someone to throw it to (check).

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #640 on: January 16, 2023, 04:50:25 PM »
Exactly. My point is that the Ravens may be the smartest organization in the NFL and they don't want to do that. That is very worrisome to me. Especially when we would also be giving up a shitload of draft picks.

They don't want to do it because Cleveland set an awful precedent.  I'm not keen on it either...but it's not my money, so what do i care?

I'm not too worried.  The Ravens want him, but on their own terms.  Lamar wants more money than they're willing to spend, and good for him.  Always get what you can.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #641 on: January 16, 2023, 04:53:13 PM »
The Ravens not wanting to keep a 26 yo former league MVP is concerning but I'm not going to act like I have any knowledge as to what exactly is going on with the Jackson and the Ravens' FO.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #642 on: January 16, 2023, 04:53:17 PM »
You're overthinking it.

Lamar has the QB skillset, but you add in the run aspect.  Make sure the oline is stout (this is a priority).  But, we have a running back for him to hand it off to (check) and he has someone to throw it to (check).

Lamar has a QB skillet

Lamar does not have a QB skillet anywhere close to being the top paid QB ever. This guys exceeded 3000 passing yards once in his career

If you're not building your offense around his unique skillset, you're grossly overpaying for what you're getting

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #643 on: January 16, 2023, 05:05:40 PM »
Lamar has a QB skillet

Lamar does not have a QB skillet anywhere close to being the top paid QB ever. This guys exceeded 3000 passing yards once in his career

If you're not building your offense around his unique skillset, you're grossly overpaying for what you're getting
Cooking with Lamar

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #644 on: January 16, 2023, 05:06:48 PM »
Cooking with Lamar

I swear someone's hacking my autocorrect

Tags: