Author Topic: Jets OT Duane Brown, unhurt  (Read 3083 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Jets OT Duane Brown, unhurt
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2022, 01:53:30 PM »
For all that our line desperately needed a rebuild, with Brown starting it's seriously veteran.

LT: Fant (30)
LG: Tomlinson (30)
C: McGovern (29)
RG: AVT (23)
RT: Brown (37)

We can hope that Mitchell grows into something good, but the chances of Herbig or Pierschbacher developing into much are pretty slim, and we already know what Feeney, Edoga and McDermott are. For all the talk of building the line, we've spent the last three years mostly sticking veteran bandaids on it. AVT is the only shining exception.

TBF...Becton was supposed to play, and he's 23. 
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2022, 01:54:03 PM »
For all that our line desperately needed a rebuild, with Brown starting it's seriously veteran.

We can hope that Mitchell grows into something good, but the chances of Herbig or Pierschbacher developing into much are pretty slim, and we already know what Feeney, Edoga and McDermott are. For all the talk of building the line, we've spent the last three years mostly sticking veteran bandaids on it. AVT is the only shining exception.

That’s what happens when 2 of your 3 Ol draft pick investments end up severely injured in Cam Clark and Mekhi Becton.
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2022, 01:55:13 PM »

It's a veteran OL, but saying that Douglas has been "mostly sticking veteran bandaids on it" is very wrong.

We've been in the top 5 in offensive line spending each of the last couple years, and we are probably number 1 now.

We spent two high picks on OL (AVT, Becton). We also took two developmental linemen in the 4th round (Clark, Mitchell). We signed Fant, Tomlinson and McGovern to relatively big contracts. There have been veteran band-aids mixed in (Brown, Moses, Kalil, GVR, Feeney, etc), but we have invested a ton in this offensive line over the years.

He's been here for 3 full offseasons, and we've made multiple significant offensive line additions each year. Even the first year he was here, he gave Ryan Kalil a big deal to try to shore up IOL.

Just because guys are older doesn't mean they are bandaids. This is Fant and McGovern's 3rd year starting here. That's not a band-aid. Tomlinson is 30, but he's not a band-aid.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2022, 02:01:48 PM »
Fant was definitely a good move that he deserves credit for, but as Libero says, we've had one draft pick that has worked out. For whatever reason, we've spent more time, effort and money repairing holes than actually rebuilding. There are at least two and possibly three positions that will need to be upgraded/replaced next offseason, and it's unlikely that anyone on the roster will be able to do that.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2022, 02:04:19 PM »
Fant was definitely a good move that he deserves credit for, but as Libero says, we've had one draft pick that has worked out. For whatever reason, we've spent more time, effort and money repairing holes than actually rebuilding. There are at least two and possibly three positions that will need to be upgraded/replaced next offseason, and it's unlikely that anyone on the roster will be able to do that.

we're only 1 year removed from the Adam Gase years.  Our draft picks and development have been excrement for the better part of the last decade. 
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2022, 02:05:33 PM »
I have no problem if you replace the holes in the draft or free agency. It's all the same. You build teams in a 3-year window, and Fant and McGovern have both been here 3 years. Even if you draft a rookie, you only get him 4-5 years depending on the deal.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
we're only 1 year removed from the Adam Gase years.  Our draft picks and development have been excrement for the better part of the last decade. 

100%. But part of my point is that the only reason we're kinda happy about the line at the moment is because of how abysmal the starting point was. I really wish we had a bit more youth and upside there, and it really needs to be an area of significant focus next spring.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2022, 02:09:15 PM »
100%. But part of my point is that the only reason we're kinda happy about the line at the moment is because of how abysmal the starting point was. I really wish we had a bit more youth and upside there, and it really needs to be an area of significant focus next spring.
It's a good offensive line on paper. And it's still a good offensive line despite losing our starting right tackle and high-upside draft pick before the season starts.

Sure, it looks better because of where we started from. And now that Becton is likely a lost cause, we definitely need to add more youth. Maybe Mitchell can be part of that youth.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2022, 04:50:35 PM »
I’d wager this is 2 years to give us cap flexibility this season. At the end of the year we can cut him for x amount of dead money, ensuring Brown makes at least x dollars off this deal. We just carry a dead cap hit next year unless he’s either outstanding or retires.

I also want another OT. Body wise this gets us back to where we were last week. Edoga and/or McDermott are still rosterable right now, and I think a browns signing was initially intended to end that.

Hopefully a young guy gets cut later this summer that we can snag off waivers and rid ourselves of those two deadbeat depth positions

It's definitely this

I haven't followed much the last few months, but the Jets were basically completely out of cap space right around the draft.

The Jets may want him for two years, but I think the cap was the biggest concern

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2022, 05:57:42 PM »
Most likely, you guys are right, but if he's good, and he's under contract, that's still more options for us.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2022, 06:10:42 PM »
Cap expert dcm
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2022, 06:30:45 PM »
Cap expert dcm

Don't need to be a cap expert to realize there's a problem when a players salary is > entirety of your available cap space

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2022, 09:26:42 PM »
i get the thinking behind thinking that fant can be good on either side of the OL be it LT or RT

but he was solid as fvck for us last season at LT protecting our franchise's blind side

if there truly is any credence to the writings that brown was starting to decline last year, then start whoever will protect zach better at LT. that's all we should be concerned about. if that is fant, so be it. if that bothers brown, so be it.

i hope the FO was upfront with him about that during the negotiations. you obviously throw all of the above out the window if they promised him the LT spot upfront. you do what you have to do to sign him, but i hope we were able to do that without making that promise upfront before we even line all of these guys up

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2022, 09:39:31 PM »
i get the thinking behind thinking that fant can be good on either side of the OL be it LT or RT

but he was solid as fvck for us last season at LT protecting our franchise's blind side

if there truly is any credence to the writings that brown was starting to decline last year, then start whoever will protect zach better at LT. that's all we should be concerned about. if that is fant, so be it. if that bothers brown, so be it.

i hope the FO was upfront with him about that during the negotiations. you obviously throw all of the above out the window if they promised him the LT spot upfront. you do what you have to do to sign him, but i hope we were able to do that without making that promise upfront before we even line all of these guys up

Is LT more important than the OL as a whole?

Obviously LT is the most important position, but if a slight downturn at LT means a huge upgrade at RT, is that not a net positive?

Tags: