Author Topic: Jets OT Duane Brown, unhurt  (Read 3100 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Jets OT Duane Brown, unhurt
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 01:02:52 PM »
So is Fant going to move back over to RT or will Brown start there for the first time in his career?

Yes.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 01:03:02 PM »
So is Fant going to move back over to RT or will Brown start there for the first time in his career?

According to Cimini, it hasn't been decided yet.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 01:16:58 PM »
Could even be the Damien Woody theory of just bring in Brown as insurance, give Mitchell every chance to succeed on the right, and if it doesn't work, figure it out later.

The contract makes it seem like he's definitely starting, but Brown also gained a ton of leverage in negotiations.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2022, 01:17:00 PM »
McDermott and Edoga are decent enough as 4th OT options. There aren't too many quality offensive tackles on the market this late. Good young offensive tackles don't get cut in training camp very often.

Two years gives us lots of options. Is Brown washed? Then we can get rid of him. Does Fant want too much money? We can tag him, or tag/trade him. Does Becton have an awesome offseason where we are more confident in him going into next season? Great, he can compete for a job, and we still have enough quality depth as insurance. Or we can trade him for some Day 3 pick. Does Mitchell step up and look like a starter option? Then we can keep him and whatever 2 other tackles we want for next season and have them compete.

They weren’t 4th or options a week ago before Becton injury and they aren’t today after Browns signing. I know we want to think Mitchell is ready to be an nfl swing tackle right now, but a week ago the idea of that had everyone scared. Today he is also still that guy, and everyone should still feel exactly the same about it as they did a week ago.
Need a new one for a new board...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 01:17:53 PM »
go get the Conkerspaniel or McGlinchey in FA.

I don’t see any way either hits the market.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 01:18:38 PM »
Still can't believe Joe Douglas got Morgan Moses for what we got him for last year. This price is more reasonable for a quality starting OT.

I have to imagine we bumped our salary offer after the Becton move to get this done.

Compared to what Moses got from Baltimore, I think we paid a bit of a premium...which is fine by me. Need to protect Zach

"Morgan Moses signed a 3 year, $15,000,000 contract with the Baltimore Ravens, including a $4,380,000 signing bonus, $5,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,000,000. In 2022, Moses will earn a base salary of $1,120,000 and a signing bonus of $4,380,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,580,000 and a dead cap value of $5,500,000."

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2022, 01:18:38 PM »
Could even be the Damien Woody theory of just bring in Brown as insurance, give Mitchell every chance to succeed on the right, and if it doesn't work, figure it out later.

The contract makes it seem like he's definitely starting, but Brown also gained a ton of leverage in negotiations.

Brown is going to play.  Connor Hughes tweeted that Brown had offers to go to contenders. 
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2022, 01:18:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/Michael_Nania/status/1557781826814574593

Interesting take. It's possible Fant was just going to have a quality 2021 season no matter where he was, just because he was always a project offensive tackle, so he could easily be a late bloomer.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2022, 01:19:36 PM »
I don’t see any way either hits the market.

We'll see...Deshaun Watson was expensive.  Could free up the Conk.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2022, 01:20:36 PM »

I wouldn’t be shocked at all if this a glorified 1 year deal that looks something like

Year 1- 7 million 100% guaranteed
Year 2 - 15 million with $3 million guaranteed

Essentially getting brown $10 million, but for one year of service. If he’s a god this year, we can restructure and keep him or pay him that absurd year 2 salary, which in reality isn’t that bad for a starting OT, but nobody expects him to be an elite guy at 37 (and even less so at 38) so you’d imagine that’s a voided year. Just a guess behind the thinking of course

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2022, 01:23:24 PM »
We'll see...Deshaun Watson was expensive.  Could free up the Conk.

Sure, but the real target/dream would be McGlinchey of the two, and why on earth would SF let him walk for nothing?

As for Conklin we had our shot years ago, and didn’t want to pay him then. Why pay him more now, than 4 years ago?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2022, 01:33:56 PM »
Sure, but the real target/dream would be McGlinchey of the two, and why on earth would SF let him walk for nothing?

As for Conklin we had our shot years ago, and didn’t want to pay him then. Why pay him more now, than 4 years ago?

SF let Laken Tomlinson walk

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2022, 01:45:29 PM »
Conklin's recovering from a torn patella. We don't know how good he is now.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2022, 01:46:35 PM »
For all that our line desperately needed a rebuild, with Brown starting it's seriously veteran.

LT: Fant (30)
LG: Tomlinson (30)
C: McGovern (29)
RG: AVT (23)
RT: Brown (37)

We can hope that Mitchell grows into something good, but the chances of Herbig or Pierschbacher developing into much are pretty slim, and we already know what Feeney, Edoga and McDermott are. For all the talk of building the line, we've spent the last three years mostly sticking veteran bandaids on it. AVT is the only shining exception.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2022, 01:53:18 PM »
SF let Laken Tomlinson walk

He was 32 and an interior player rather than a Tackle. But yes hopefully they allow McGlinchey to walk and we throw the bank at him

Tags: