Author Topic: Jets OT Duane Brown, unhurt  (Read 3006 times)

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
Jets OT Duane Brown, unhurt
« on: August 11, 2022, 12:25:28 PM »
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
4m
The #Jets are giving OT Duane Brown a 2-year deal worth $22M, source said. A significant investment in a key position.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Sources: Five-time Pro-Bowl OT Duane Brown is signing with the New York Jets, who lost OT Mekhi Becton earlier this week to a likely season-ending knee injury.

JD comes through
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:39:19 PM by Heismanberg »

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: Jets OT Duane Brown, unhurt
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 12:27:29 PM »
Lets gooooi

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 12:29:52 PM »
Cool cool cool.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 12:34:13 PM »
Two-year deal is very interesting, too, in terms of the dynamics for next year. It gives us a lot more leverage with Fant negotiations.

This gives us a ton of options for next year, since we will have Becton, Brown and Mitchell all under contract, plus potentially Fant on a new deal or a tag. Obviously, you can't trust Becton as the starter next year, but having tackle depth gives us flexibility.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 12:41:25 PM »
So are we gonna sign Duane Brown or what...

Your silly impatience paid off
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 12:45:14 PM »
I think Becton is probably done here.

We need to extend Fant and draft another tackle in 2023.

2023 OT looks pretty thin right now…
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 12:47:21 PM »
I’d wager this is 2 years to give us cap flexibility this season. At the end of the year we can cut him for x amount of dead money, ensuring Brown makes at least x dollars off this deal. We just carry a dead cap hit next year unless he’s either outstanding or retires.

I also want another OT. Body wise this gets us back to where we were last week. Edoga and/or McDermott are still rosterable right now, and I think a browns signing was initially intended to end that.

Hopefully a young guy gets cut later this summer that we can snag off waivers and rid ourselves of those two deadbeat depth positions
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 12:49:33 PM »
Your silly impatience paid off
Wanted to get that done ASAP after the Becton signing. We got it done.

OT is too important to nickel and dime Brown anymore. You want to bring him in ASAP, figure out who is playing on the left and who is playing on the right, and get the OL to gel. Haggling over money was fine when Becton was healthy and there wasn't an immediate need, but our hand was forced, and good job by Joe Douglas reacting to it.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 12:51:01 PM »
Here's a current list of pending FA OT in 2023

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/tackle//

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 12:54:26 PM »
Wanted to get that done ASAP after the Becton signing. We got it done.

OT is too important to nickel and dime Brown anymore. You want to bring him in ASAP, figure out who is playing on the left and who is playing on the right, and get the OL to gel. Haggling over money was fine when Becton was healthy and there wasn't an immediate need, but our hand was forced, and good job by Joe Douglas reacting to it.

The ball was in Brown's court.  I'm sure Douglas wanted to sign him while Becton was still being loaded into the ambulance.

i don't believe nickel and diming was happening here.  Brown was probably taking his time to weigh all his options.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 12:54:41 PM »
I’d wager this is 2 years to give us cap flexibility this season. At the end of the year we can cut him for x amount of dead money, ensuring Brown makes at least x dollars off this deal. We just carry a dead cap hit next year unless he’s either outstanding or retires.

I also want another OT. Body wise this gets us back to where we were last week. Edoga and/or McDermott are still rosterable right now, and I think a browns signing was initially intended to end that.

Hopefully a young guy gets cut later this summer that we can snag off waivers and rid ourselves of those two deadbeat depth positions
McDermott and Edoga are decent enough as 4th OT options. There aren't too many quality offensive tackles on the market this late. Good young offensive tackles don't get cut in training camp very often.

Two years gives us lots of options. Is Brown washed? Then we can get rid of him. Does Fant want too much money? We can tag him, or tag/trade him. Does Becton have an awesome offseason where we are more confident in him going into next season? Great, he can compete for a job, and we still have enough quality depth as insurance. Or we can trade him for some Day 3 pick. Does Mitchell step up and look like a starter option? Then we can keep him and whatever 2 other tackles we want for next season and have them compete.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 12:55:11 PM »
Here's a current list of pending FA OT in 2023

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/tackle//

go get the Conkerspaniel or McGlinchey in FA.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 12:56:33 PM »
2yr deal worth 22 mil as per Rapsheet

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2022, 01:00:04 PM »
Still can't believe Joe Douglas got Morgan Moses for what we got him for last year. This price is more reasonable for a quality starting OT.

I have to imagine we bumped our salary offer after the Becton move to get this done.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 01:01:39 PM »
So is Fant going to move back over to RT or will Brown start there for the first time in his career?

Tags: