Author Topic: Breece Hall of Justice - The Return  (Read 22750 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Breece Hall of Justice - The Return
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2022, 07:02:42 PM »
I've always said that you don't take a running back until you're ready to compete.

But if you look at this roster, we are ready to compete in 2023 if the quarterback is good, and maybe 2022 if things break right.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2022, 07:06:38 PM »
I've always said that you don't take a running back until you're ready to compete.

But if you look at this roster, we are ready to compete in 2023 if the quarterback is good, and maybe 2022 if things break right.

i said the same thing last night in the 1st draft discussion thread regarding how taking a RB this early feels like a luxury that i don't think this team can afford right now lol.

but JD has done so much good already that if he feels the time is now, then the time is now

we got the best RB, CB, WR in this draft

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2022, 07:11:48 PM »
I think of it less as a luxury pick with him being an RB and more of a continuation of building around Zach. Elite weapons on offense arent a luxury, especially with a young QB. Who cares about an RBs shelf life- if he is a legit RB1 for 5 years as Zach develops into a good QB, he’s worth it as a 2nd round pick.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 07:18:30 PM by Laxin »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2022, 07:15:52 PM »
I think of it less as a luxury pick with him being an RB and more of a continuation of building around Zach. Elite weapons on offense isnt a luxury, especially with a young QB. Who cares about an RBs shelf life, if he is a legit RB1 for 5 years as Zach develops into a good QB, he’s worth it as a 2nd round pick.
This is how I feel about it too.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2022, 07:18:25 PM »
I think of it less as a luxury pick with him being an RB and more of a continuation of building around Zach. Elite weapons on offense arent a luxury, especially with a young QB. Who cares about an RBs shelf life, if he is a legit RB1 for 5 years as Zach develops into a good QB, he’s worth it as a 2nd round pick.
This is how I feel about it too.

two good years out of a second round pick for us given our history would be worth it

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2022, 07:20:12 PM »
I think of it less as a luxury pick with him being an RB and more of a continuation of building around Zach. Elite weapons on offense arent a luxury, especially with a young QB. Who cares about an RBs shelf life- if he is a legit RB1 for 5 years as Zach develops into a good QB, he’s worth it as a 2nd round pick.

100% agree. Giving zach the weapons he needs is the best policy for this offense.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2022, 07:22:56 PM »

Yep, and this is why I had warmed up to Breece at 38 after last night's bounty (and Joe D deemed him worthy of 36). Breece was as good an asset to Zach as anyone at that point, and LBs/Safeties/defensive depth can wait. If Breece was considered that much better than a Day 3 rb for Zach and this offense, I'm all for it.

When we traded up, I automatically assumed Breece.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2022, 07:23:34 PM »
Shades of Matt Forte for me . He's got mileage from the usage but that's what RBBC is for and him and MC can do some damage in this scheme receiving

Which in turn just opens everything up for the WRs

LaFleur better not freak this up

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2022, 07:24:46 PM »
Shades of Matt Forte for me . He's got mileage from the usage but that's what RBBC is for and him and MC can do some damage in this scheme receiving

Which in turn just opens everything up for the WRs

LaFleur better not freak this up
First offensive snap of the season: Jeff Smith end-around

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2022, 07:27:04 PM »
First offensive snap of the season: Jeff Smith end-around
Trevon Wesco TE screen.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2022, 07:27:05 PM »
This is the culmination of the Ozzie Newsome mantra he preached at his introductory PC

Taking the best guy on your board . Always creating competition on the building . The team never suffering from too much talent . You find ways to make it work

Young hungry elite prospects at WR and RB.

The upgrade with Tomlinson

It was JDs job the moment he drafted wilson to properly support him

Hes officially done that

Now just get 1 body for depth here at OL and snag a S or LB too

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2022, 07:29:16 PM »
This is the culmination of the Ozzie Newsome mantra he preached at his introductory PC

Taking the best guy on your board . Always creating competition on the building . The team never suffering from too much talent . You find ways to make it work

Young hungry elite prospects at WR and RB.

The upgrade with Tomlinson

It was JDs job the moment he drafted wilson to properly support him

Hes officially done that

Now just get 1 body for depth here at OL and snag a S or LB too
JD trades up more than Ozzie did it seems.

I'm not normally a fan of trading up, but we've done a good job of combining value and need when we've traded up. It's not like we're trading up for Chris Olave to catch the tail end of a WR tier.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2022, 07:30:36 PM »
JD trades up more than Ozzie did it seems.

I'm not normally a fan of trading up, but we've done a good job of combining value and need when we've traded up. It's not like we're trading up for Chris Olave to catch the tail end of a WR tier.
JD also has to be his own man

I think he's patient in the sense he will let the other teams dictate the flow of the draft but once a guy sits number 1 on his big board long enough

That's where he deviates from traditional Ozzie

But majority of what he does reflects the fact he worked under the guy as long as he did .

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2022, 07:33:01 PM »
JD also has to be his own man

I think he's patient in the sense he will let the other teams dictate the flow of the draft but once a guy sits number 1 on his big board long enough

That's where he deviates from traditional Ozzie

But majority of what he does reflects the fact he worked under the guy as long as he did .
Outside of the 4th round of 2020 when we took LaMical Perine and James Morgan in back-to-back picks, I've loved what JD has done with the draft. Not every pick has worked out, but the process seems good.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2022, 07:33:04 PM »
I remember pounding the table for Doug Martin back at TGG asking for some talent in the RB room and we finally have it.

Tags: