Author Topic: Who you DON'T want at 4 and 10  (Read 2742 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Who you DON'T want at 4 and 10
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 07:52:13 AM »
Would be ironic(?) if Drake London goes before him.

"I hate the Drake"

-George Costanza
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2022, 08:16:32 AM »
I would prefer to pass on CB and S

Give me EDGE and WR

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 03:39:21 PM »
The most compelling question to me is whether Douglas would take Ekwonu if he's still on the board at 4, even without getting rid of Becton.  I have a hard time drafting a guy at 4 with the likelihood quite high that he at least begins the year on the bench. 

I could be convinced that the likelihood of injury is so high on this team that he could fill any role on the OL minus center and be there to take the RT or LT role in 2023 if we can't re-sign Fant or Becton sloppyfats himself to death.

Would you be pissed if Douglas took him at 4?  We always wanted a GM to address the OL and we got it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 03:41:05 PM by bojanglesman »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 03:44:23 PM »
I will be annoyed if we take OL with 4 or 10
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 04:18:12 PM »
The most compelling question to me is whether Douglas would take Ekwonu if he's still on the board at 4, even without getting rid of Becton.  I have a hard time drafting a guy at 4 with the likelihood quite high that he at least begins the year on the bench. 

I could be convinced that the likelihood of injury is so high on this team that he could fill any role on the OL minus center and be there to take the RT or LT role in 2023 if we can't re-sign Fant or Becton sloppyfats himself to death.

Would you be pissed if Douglas took him at 4?  We always wanted a GM to address the OL and we got it.

Yes I would be pissed. Building an OL is a beautiful thing. But there is a point where you pour so many resources into one unit that it is detrimental to the entire teams growth. It’s the exact opposite of what we did from 2010-2019 takin Mo Wilk, Sheldon Richardson, Quentin Coples, Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams. The only way I can justify the logic is if you have a trade in place to move Becton or Fant for ++++value to what they are worth (I’m talking 1st+ Type of value) OR you think Ekwonu is secretly the best C prospect of all time.

You can build a great offensive line with non first round picks. Douglas got us out of the doldrums of failure. Now he needs to sustain his build with depth draft picks with upside to start after a year or two of seasoning.
Need a new one for a new board...

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2022, 04:21:25 PM »
If Ekwonu somehow fell to 10, which isn't completely impossible because he's 6'4" and GM's are weird about left tackle measurables, I'd want us to take him no matter what. 

Would you be pissed if Douglas took him at 4?

If we passed on Aidan Hutchinson for him, yes.  All other scenarios?  Not at all.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2022, 04:45:35 PM »
I'm pretty comfortable if we take an OL at 4 because I trust the FO. The most important thing is protecting our QB. Fant is an FA next offseason, and Becton is still something of a question mark.

If they...
- Don't trust Becton to stay healthy (or don't trust Fant)
- Can get a 2nd-round or more back for Becton (or 3rd-round or better for Fant)
- Love Ekwonu or Neal as an elite prospect
- Don't love the edge rushers available

...then I'm fine with an OL at 4.

There's a chance we head into next offseason with a broken Becton and a free agent Fant. That would be a disaster.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2022, 04:55:18 PM »
I'm pretty comfortable if we take an OL at 4 because I trust the FO. The most important thing is protecting our QB. Fant is an FA next offseason, and Becton is still something of a question mark.

If they...
- Can get a 2nd-round or more back for Becton (or 3rd-round or better for Fant)
- Love Ekwonu or Neal as an elite prospect
- Don't love the edge rushers available

...then I'm fine with an OL at 4.

There's a chance we head into next offseason with a broken Becton and a free agent Fant. That would be a disaster.
I feel like the Jets would at the very least franchise tag Fant next year if Becton falls apart.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2022, 05:43:11 PM »
A corner or any other defensive secondary player

I'm still traumatized by basically every safety or corner we've drafted in the first since Revis

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2022, 05:56:04 PM »
Can we just skip our picks altogether so they don't suck?

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2022, 06:16:31 PM »
I feel like the Jets would at the very least franchise tag Fant next year if Becton falls apart.
Probably right.

If the Jets are that sold on Ekwonu, and there have been some rumblings that they love him, they also could just draft him and hold onto Becton and Fant into training camp. I don't think that's entirely crazy. Someone will likely get hurt somewhere, and someone will desperately need an OT, and if all goes well with Becton, we might have a spare. In that scenario, maybe they end up trading Fant.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2022, 07:46:40 PM »

None of us know if Becton is even healthy right now.  There have been some tame hype videos, but the only thing non-upper body I've seen from him was pushing an empty sled.  The front office is presumably much more informed about his status than we are, and if they don't think he's gong to be ready by OTA's or camp, it would make a ton of sense to go OT high.  Let Becton heal and cover the swing during the season, then he can take over for Fant next season. 

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2022, 08:31:00 PM »
None of us know if Becton is even healthy right now.  There have been some tame hype videos, but the only thing non-upper body I've seen from him was pushing an empty sled.  The front office is presumably much more informed about his status than we are, and if they don't think he's gong to be ready by OTA's or camp, it would make a ton of sense to go OT high.  Let Becton heal and cover the swing during the season, then he can take over for Fant next season. 
Exactly. That's why I default to the FO. If we take Ekwonu, that says something about how the staff looks at Becton. And since Douglas is the guy who drafted Becton, it ultimately looks bad on JD if we give up on Becton.

Tags: