Author Topic: NYJ Free Agency 2022  (Read 33384 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: NYJ Free Agency 2022
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2022, 02:20:21 PM »
I wonder about LDT. After his year off being an upstanding citizen and then KC trading him, I wonder how much he loves playing football. That's not a knock on him at all, just that he's already a multimillionaire, he knows better than most the long term damage that football does, and he's clearly got a calling beyond the sport. It's nothing but a hunch but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him retire.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2022, 02:21:07 PM »
These three are my absolute needs (Bates or Williams).

Echols and Hall have each earned another year IMO.  Might be a mistake, but it's a good message for the youngest team in the league.  "If you earn your role, we're not just going to give it to a rich Patriot in the offseason."

I'm assuming we're bringing LDT back.  If that's not the case and Ekwonu/Green are not drafted, I need Laken Tomlinson. 
We have so many different directions we can go in.

Long-term, we are likely better off with Hall and Echols competing for one starting outside cornerback spot, with the other being our #4 CB. We had the worst defense in the NFL last season - we can't just hand them the jobs because they "earned their role."

If we end up using our biggest resources to fill other needs, I think we're fine with Hall and Echols on the outside, but we should bring in some competition.

The only thing I don't want at CB is to spend a top-10 pick on that position.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2022, 02:21:33 PM »
I'm assuming we're bringing LDT back.

I hope so, but there's always the chance he goes back into the medical field.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2022, 02:22:29 PM »
I wonder about LDT. After his year off being an upstanding citizen and then KC trading him, I wonder how much he loves playing football. That's not a knock on him at all, just that he's already a multimillionaire, he knows better than most the long term damage that football does, and he's clearly got a calling beyond the sport. It's nothing but a hunch but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him retire.
He said after the season that all of his options are open, and he might not even be able to play given his other profession.

I don't think we can count on him as the starter, but if he is the 2022 version of GVR (the veteran stopgap OG that we replace when we find a better option), that would be great.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2022, 02:26:58 PM »
But Engram can actually do something after the catch at least.  I'd prefer just drafting McBride and possibly a move tight end in the later rounds.

McBride & Kolar 2022

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2022, 02:33:21 PM »
McBride & Kolar 2022
McBride, Kolar and Engram works.

Hard to count too much on rookie tight ends. They rarely produce a ton as rookies, though Freiermuth and Pitts were both good this past season.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2022, 02:36:39 PM »
If we miss on Schultz, I'd be fine with Gerald Everett as a fallback option.  We need players that can catch the football. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2022, 02:37:05 PM »
McBride & Kolar 2022

Cole Turner over Kolar

Sam LaPorta from Iowa is also intriguing

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2022, 04:36:59 PM »
Engram has played 31 of 33 games the last 2 seasons.

And if you go back one more season he missed an additional 8 games.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2022, 04:59:17 PM »
RE: shifting Mosley back to Mike, would we be doing that to give Dean a year to develop and then move him to Mike when Mosely's contract is up or do you see Will as his natural position?

I'd give Dean the keys right away if we take him that high (unless Mosley feels a certain way about it).  Behind a heavy defensive line, Dean can play Mike, Will, or Sam.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2022, 05:46:49 PM »
I'd give Dean the keys right away if we take him that high (unless Mosley feels a certain way about it).  Behind a heavy defensive line, Dean can play Mike, Will, or Sam.

Mosely was already fine with moving to Will for Davis, I think he'll be fine for the teams #1 pick.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2022, 07:43:27 PM »
I'm curious about Marcus Maye's current standing with the team.  I know most of us have written him off because he was snarky about the tag and we've had our fill of snarky safeties, but his situation has changed dramatically since then.  He's almost certainly going to play in 2022 on a one-year prove-it deal.  He can do that in a new city on a new team, or he can do it here in a system with which he's now familiar. 

Maybe that bridge is well and truly burned; maybe Maye burned it on his end, maybe the Jets FO burned it on theirs.  But I didn't see anything from my perspective that I couldn't dismiss as "just business" moving forward.  If Bates or Williams comes in then it's moot, but he might wind up being a good value option if we miss out on the top tier of free agent safeties.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2022, 07:46:19 PM »
I'm curious about Marcus Maye's current standing with the team.  I know most of us have written him off because he was snarky about the tag and we've had our fill of snarky safeties, but his situation has changed dramatically since then.  He's almost certainly going to play in 2022 on a one-year prove-it deal.  He can do that in a new city on a new team, or he can do it here in a system with which he's now familiar. 

Maybe that bridge is well and truly burned; maybe Maye burned it on his end, maybe the Jets FO burned it on theirs.  But I didn't see anything from my perspective that I couldn't dismiss as "just business" moving forward.  If Bates or Williams comes in then it's moot, but he might wind up being a good value option if we miss out on the top tier of free agent safeties.
Will he be ready for the season after an Achilles in November? Cam Akers is the exception, not the norm.

In general, I agree with your post, but I don't think Maye wants to come back. So if he's getting a 1-year prove it deal, my guess is he takes it elsewhere. But we'll see.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2022, 08:21:05 PM »
Is he even allowed to play a one year deal here? I think it would have to be a tag again if we don't give him a longer contract, but I'm not a contract rules guru.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2022, 09:25:03 PM »
Is he even allowed to play a one year deal here? I think it would have to be a tag again if we don't give him a longer contract, but I'm not a contract rules guru.
If he hits the market it doesn't matter, right?

Tags: