Author Topic: Coaching staff report card  (Read 1743 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Coaching staff report card
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 12:02:44 PM »
Robert Saleh: C+
Hard to give him better than a C+ when the team underachieves based on Vegas win total and is one of the worst teams against the spread. That's one metric to show that the team didn't meet expectations, even though expectations were low. He's also a defensive guy, and the defense was worst in the NFL, However, the team played hard to the end and didn't quit. There haven't been any rumblings about dissent between him and players. He was relatively aggressive on 4th down, and he got better as the season went on. Overall, I'm still optimistic on Saleh, but year 1 was not a home run.

Jeff Ulbrich: D+
Defense was ravaged by injuries, especially in the secondary. Wasn't overly impressed with schemes, but we had no pass rush for most of the year, too, and when you have no pass rush and a beat-up secondary, it's hard. He and Saleh deserve credit for the young corners playing pretty well. Needs to improve in Year 2.

Mike LaFleur: B
One of the biggest positives of the season is it looks like we have an OC. He got production out of 4 different quarterbacks and a rotating cast of characters on the OL and WR corps. He showed a lot of creativity down the stretch, finding good ways to use guys like Berrios and Elijah Moore. Slow start to the season, and there were some bumpy moments, from the Wilson QB sneak to some overly cute playcalls, but in general, it was a promising season. This grade might be whitewashing his early-season issues a little bit, but I'm fine mostly throwing out the first few games when it comes to his grade.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 12:11:02 PM by Derek Smalls »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 12:15:07 PM »
A C- feels generous for the worst defense in the league, and an A- feels generous for the defensive-minded head coach of said defense, regardless of Saleh's hands-off CEO approach.

Yeah, I guess it depends on how you grade it. I'm grading him against my hopes and expectations for the season, not against absolute performance or in comparison to other coaches - clearly he'd be lower down the scale there. I think that for a rookie HC with a messy roster that took countless hits through the season, his demeanour and effectiveness were as good as we could possibly have dared hope and it feels like even with a team made up of highly paid vets and guys off the street there was never the slightest question that the entire locker room was 100% bought in and behind him. That's an X factor that makes up for a lot of technical deficiencies IMO, and if he can keep up that kind of collective mindset with a more stable and talented roster we could be onto something really good.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 12:32:39 PM »
Ran across this today. It's a lengthy interview with Jeff Ulbrich. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6_3g0ghJww

From 20:00 - 24:00 minutes or so he talks about his mentality in teaching the defense and the mid season struggles, said he could have schemed things differently, and made small fixes, but would have had long term failings... Thought it was a good listen. Also a few moments on Carl Lawson and CJ Mosely around the 25:00 minute mark as well.
Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: