Author Topic: Coaching staff report card  (Read 1798 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Coaching staff report card
« on: January 11, 2022, 09:55:15 PM »
Robert Saleh, Head Coach: A-

Tough job as a rookie and he made some mistakes. Some of his game management is questionable at times, and I can't believe he wouldn't have called some of our defensive plays a little differently so maybe he needs to be a bit more hands on while his coaches are figuring their excrement out, but overall the growth of the team reflects on Saleh and that's a positive. We had horrific injury problems but he got the best from scrubs and guys off the street, remained positive and professional, didn't throw anyone under the bus, and I think showed all the signs of being the guy we hoped he would be.

Matt LaFleur, Offensive Co-ordinator: B

Things did not start well for MLF. No one could have predicted the loss of Greg Knapp and that burden fell on Lafleur to handle as Zach started his rookie season, and his decision to call the games from the sideline so he could be in direct contact with Zach while the defense was on the field didn't pay off. He didn't help Zach and he called some pretty brutal games. We didn't know it at the time but Zach's injury might have come at an optimal time for a number of people, including Lafleur; the White/Flacco tandem meant that Lafleur could go to the booth where he clearly had a much better view of games straight away, and the playcalling took a big leap forward. Still not perfect, and as a rookie playcaller he got taught a few lessons by opposing coaches, but given the desperate personnel situation in the back half of the season he did well to keep the offense looking competent. Clearly not afraid to be creative and some of his best plays are some of his prettiest, with sweeps and end arounds and triple reverses and multiple passers always waiting to come out of the bag. Hopefully he can show a lot more with better personnel next year.

Jeff Ulbrich, Defensive Co-ordinator: C-

The loss of primary pass rushing threat before the season got under way was a tough one, but it doesn't excuse some of the abject failings of the defense this season. Saleh said when he joined that this defensive line unit was the best he'd ever had, which says something after the team he had in SF, but all too often Ulbrich failed to find the looks to get penetration and as a result opposing QBs were able to pick us apart, something they did brutally through the middle part of the season. On the plus side the young secondary was better than we could have dared hope before the season started, but that's more than countered by the abject run defense. CJ Mosley was the defensive leader we know he is and that Ulbrich needed, but the complete lack of talent around him meant that teams could pretty much run at will on us and Ulbrich is going to have to find ways to make that front 7 a much more effective unit. Will need a much better second season to have a realistic hope of getting a third.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Coaching staff report card
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 10:17:40 PM »
LaFleur and Ulbrich both get a C from me

Wildly inconsistent
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 10:20:52 PM »
A C- feels generous for the worst defense in the league, and an A- feels generous for the defensive-minded head coach of said defense, regardless of Saleh's hands-off CEO approach.  I realize injuries happened and the talent was sparse, but they had Quinnen Williams, John Franklin-Myers, Foley Fatukasi, Sheldon Rankins, and CJ Mosley.  That's enough talent to be poor-to-mediocre against the run,  and we were abysmal. 

Credit is due for the cornerbacks though. 

Nice write-up JE.   

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 10:26:00 PM »
I realize injuries happened and the talent was sparse, but they had Quinnen Williams, John Franklin-Myers, Foley Fatukasi, Sheldon Rankins, and CJ Mosley.  That's enough talent to be poor-to-mediocre against the run,  and we were abysmal.

When two of three starting linebackers are god awful and always out of position, every other player suffers. 

Quincy Williams, Del'Shawn Phillips, and Jarrad Davis were horrible against the run. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 11:28:27 PM »
Might be a harsher grader, but -

Saleh: C-
Below average season. Outside of some nice spurts of playing aggressively when others (cough cough Bowles) would be too conservative, didn't see much out of him. Didn't dip his hands in the defense at all and it suffered mightily for it. "Doubling" last season's wins is good but I don't see so much about him that's so desirable relative to other coaches in the league thus far.

MiLF: B-
Did better as the season went on but obviously isn't elite yet. The move to the booth, despite being a meme, really seemed to help him organize the team's playcalling better, and Wilson improving at the end of the year was nice even though it was coming up from rock bottom. I have some confidence in his ability to become a great offensive coordinator especially considering his family, but progression isn't always linear.

Ulbrich: D
Only because of the injury excuses. Defense was trash tier all year. Ulbrich is a former LB and LB coach and our LBs were a complete disaster outside of Mosley. Partially due to talent but look at how our corners played despite being completely unheralded - not great but not worst in the league. Don't have much confidence in him.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 08:01:07 AM »
Robert Saleh, Head Coach: A-

Tough job as a rookie and he made some mistakes. Some of his game management is questionable at times, and I can't believe he wouldn't have called some of our defensive plays a little differently so maybe he needs to be a bit more hands on while his coaches are figuring their excrement out, but overall the growth of the team reflects on Saleh and that's a positive. We had horrific injury problems but he got the best from scrubs and guys off the street, remained positive and professional, didn't throw anyone under the bus, and I think showed all the signs of being the guy we hoped he would be.

Matt LaFleur, Offensive Co-ordinator: B

Things did not start well for MLF. No one could have predicted the loss of Greg Knapp and that burden fell on Lafleur to handle as Zach started his rookie season, and his decision to call the games from the sideline so he could be in direct contact with Zach while the defense was on the field didn't pay off. He didn't help Zach and he called some pretty brutal games. We didn't know it at the time but Zach's injury might have come at an optimal time for a number of people, including Lafleur; the White/Flacco tandem meant that Lafleur could go to the booth where he clearly had a much better view of games straight away, and the playcalling took a big leap forward. Still not perfect, and as a rookie playcaller he got taught a few lessons by opposing coaches, but given the desperate personnel situation in the back half of the season he did well to keep the offense looking competent. Clearly not afraid to be creative and some of his best plays are some of his prettiest, with sweeps and end arounds and triple reverses and multiple passers always waiting to come out of the bag. Hopefully he can show a lot more with better personnel next year.

Jeff Ulbrich, Defensive Co-ordinator: C-

The loss of primary pass rushing threat before the season got under way was a tough one, but it doesn't excuse some of the abject failings of the defense this season. Saleh said when he joined that this defensive line unit was the best he'd ever had, which says something after the team he had in SF, but all too often Ulbrich failed to find the looks to get penetration and as a result opposing QBs were able to pick us apart, something they did brutally through the middle part of the season. On the plus side the young secondary was better than we could have dared hope before the season started, but that's more than countered by the abject run defense. CJ Mosley was the defensive leader we know he is and that Ulbrich needed, but the complete lack of talent around him meant that teams could pretty much run at will on us and Ulbrich is going to have to find ways to make that front 7 a much more effective unit. Will need a much better second season to have a realistic hope of getting a third.

this is well written...good job, sir.

the only positive for Ulbrich is that the CBs blossomed this season and Mosley returned to form.  The rest is trash. I'd probably grade Ulbrich with a "D".

Ulbrich wasn't a good coordinator in Atlanta either.  Saleh better be able to put his friendships aside when it comes time to shitcan these guys.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 08:46:29 AM »
Put aside the fact that hes going into year 2.  Are there any available headcoaches that you would fire Saleh for?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 08:55:21 AM »
Put aside the fact that hes going into year 2.  Are there any available headcoaches that you would fire Saleh for?

No.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 08:58:39 AM »
The only time I ever would have considered this was after Gase year 1.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 09:30:46 AM »
The only time I ever would have considered this was after Gase year 1.
It's stupid to do so after 1 year, but I always find it interesting when people are upset about production, but don't think any other coaches are better

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »
It's stupid to do so after 1 year, but I always find it interesting when people are upset about production, but don't think any other coaches are better

my only concern with Saleh is that he might be too loyal to his coordinators.  It's not a problem yet, and it may not even become a problem....but if our D stinks next year after another solid offseason, Ulbrich better get canned.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »

Harbaugh, but I really wanted him last year.

Saleh gets a C, LaFleur gets a C-plus, Ulbrich a D.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 10:27:40 AM »
Yeah, it being the first year and going 7-9, I completely understood why it wouldn't have been considered IRL despite my complete lack of faith in him.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 10:41:58 AM »
Yeah, it being the first year and going 7-9, I completely understood why it wouldn't have been considered IRL despite my complete lack of faith in him.

A good example of "you are what your record says you are" being not correct. Anyone who watched could see that that was not a 7-9 team, and that it was not going in the right direction.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 10:55:33 AM »
my only concern with Saleh is that he might be too loyal to his coordinators.  It's not a problem yet, and it may not even become a problem....but if our D stinks next year after another solid offseason, Ulbrich better get canned.
Agree. let's see who he hires to support ulbrich.

Tags: