Author Topic: The 2022 Hard Pass thread  (Read 2406 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: The 2022 Hard Pass thread
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2022, 10:13:04 AM »
Much as I a) love centers and b) love winding Heis up about centers and Linderbaum in particular, I don't think I agree that interior line is the main focus. We have two tackles on the roster, one has injury/attitude questions and the other will be 30 at the start of next season with a year left on his contract. I think a tackle with one of our top picks is more likely than an interior lineman.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2022, 10:14:26 AM »
But if we're def taking an OL at 10, you would have to take Cross over Linderbaum if both were available, right?

It depends on what happens with Becton.  Charles Cross is a tackle only.

If we really re-sign Fant for a couple more years and take Cross, then Becton is likely going to guard or he's on his way out.  The D'Brickashaw Ferguson comparisons for Cross make a lot of sense.  He's a great athlete at the position, which is more important in this scheme than size.  I think that's why we could see Icky over Neal at 4 if both are available.

You should take any of the top receivers over a center.  A top corner could be available at 10 too.

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2022, 10:18:53 AM »
Much as I a) love centers and b) love winding Heis up about centers and Linderbaum in particular, I don't think I agree that interior line is the main focus. We have two tackles on the roster, one has injury/attitude questions and the other will be 30 at the start of next season with a year left on his contract. I think a tackle with one of our top picks is more likely than an interior lineman.

Trent Williams is arguably the best tackle in the league and he's almost 34.

Obviously Fant isn't on his level but he has way less wear and tear than most guys in their 30s.  He should be able to make it to the end of Wilson's rookie contract playing at the same level.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2022, 10:32:21 AM »
Do we know enough about Douglas to predict where he is on the BPA/positional value/team needs spectrum?

I don't think the past 2 drafts are a big enough sample size to figure out his philosophy, especially when a QB was involved since everything gets thrown out the window for that.

That's why I'm not comfortable assuming anyone is off the board in round 1 besides QB/DT. And TE by default because none of them are worth pick 4 or 10.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2022, 10:34:04 AM »
I think Douglas had done a good job at shoring up the offensive line from the turd festival it was 2 years ago.  While I still think it is necessary to continue to invest there, I don't think it should be as much of a focus now.  2 areas should be the focus: offensive skill positions (mainly WR and TE) and pass rushers. 

We used to joke about drafting gords until we had a train of 10 pro bowlers fighting to play.  I think that mindset should now be focused on WRs and TEs.  More focus on guys that can get open and are nasty quick.  I don't care if they are tall. 

The offensive line is good enough now that we can shift focus. By shifting focus, I don't mean we shouldn't draft a guard in the 1st round, just that we don't need to shore up the whole line anymore. 

I don't think this defense needs a huge investment in the secondary beyond getting a good safety.  I think this defense is fueled by pass rushers.  It will be a boon to get Carl Lawson back, assuming he doesn't get hurt again.  We need a significant edge rusher investment.  Not just 1 guy.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2022, 10:40:05 AM »
Trent Williams is arguably the best tackle in the league and he's almost 34.

Obviously Fant isn't on his level but he has way less wear and tear than most guys in their 30s.  He should be able to make it to the end of Wilson's rookie contract playing at the same level.

Sure. My point was that tackle isn't a position that's locked and done with.

I wouldn't hate bringing Moses back if he's willing to do it for the right price.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »
Sure. My point was that tackle isn't a position that's locked and done with.

I wouldn't hate bringing Moses back if he's willing to do it for the right price.
He can start on a lot of teams in the NFL and we shouldn't pay him starter money unless we are OK with either having Becton on the bench or Moses getting paid starter money to ride the bench.  One of those 2 things will happen.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2022, 10:53:29 AM »
He can start on a lot of teams in the NFL and we shouldn't pay him starter money unless we are OK with either having Becton on the bench or Moses getting paid starter money to ride the bench.  One of those 2 things will happen.

Or you start Moses and Fant, and tell Becton who is on his cheap rookie deal that he's playing at guard and it's down to him to win the job at tackle.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »
Or you start Moses and Fant, and tell Becton who is on his cheap rookie deal that he's playing at guard and it's down to him to win the job at tackle.
But then what do we do with Neal and Cross whom we've drafted at 4 and 10?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2022, 11:06:54 AM »

Convert them both to tight end.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2022, 11:07:56 AM »
Becton is full time goal line FB. All he does is 1 yard TDs and fat guy dances.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »

Buddy cop movie franchise.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2022, 11:12:03 AM »
Buddy cop movie franchise.
"YOU'RE A LOOSE CANNON, CROSS. HELMET AND PADS, ON MY DESK, NOW!"

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022