Author Topic: JO Mock Discussion  (Read 53001 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: JO Mock Discussion
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2014, 08:08:39 AM »
I don't personally see having two good to great tackles as a waste, especially with one of them on a rookie contract. Considering their lack of overall talent and losing a lot of free agents on both sides of the trenches, I prioritized low bust potential/bpa over almost any positional consideration.

I get your point, though, it was a difficult call for me to make. Again, if I loved one of the quarterbacks I would've taken them.

I'm going out on a limb here...but there MIGHT be some QBs available in the 2nd round.

I liked the pick.  The OL class is weak this year...grabbing a potential elite OL prospect wasn't a bad decision, imo.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2014, 08:11:36 AM »
I liked the pick.  The OL class is weak this year...grabbing a potential elite OL prospect wasn't a bad decision, imo.

But you can find a good tackle anywhere.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2014, 08:13:50 AM »
It is when you're passing up QBs and elite receivers and TEs that you really, really need. Matthews to the Raiders with the fifth overall pick is a vanity move that the Raiders can't afford.

The Raiders just need the BPA. Matthews was the BPA there.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2014, 08:17:18 AM »
It is when you're passing up QBs and elite receivers and TEs that you really, really need. Matthews to the Raiders with the fifth overall pick is a vanity move that the Raiders can't afford.

The Raiders don't have a single passable offensive tackle under contract for 2014 - they had three tackles get meaningful snaps, two of them played poorly, and all three are free agents.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2014, 08:20:13 AM »
The Raiders just need the BPA. Matthews was the BPA there.

Why would the Raiders with that car crash of a roster draft a player with the #5 overall pick in the one position where they already have an elite player? If BPA is taken to this level of extremity, you might as well not bother assigning teams to players in a mock draft and just let everyone take turns at picking who they think the next best player is, because clearly team needs are of a complete irrelevance.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2014, 08:22:18 AM »
The Raiders don't have a single passable offensive tackle under contract for 2014 - they had three tackles get meaningful snaps, two of them played poorly, and all three are free agents.

There is no way, no earthly imaginable scenario short of him retiring, in which Jared Veldheer is not a Raider next season. Sure, you could make Veldheer or Matthews play on the right, but when you have so many other holes in your roster, why the freak would you? Take one of the many players who fills one of the many holes rather than trying to do positional switches with the #5 overall.

Sorry, I think this is a daft pick.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »
Why would the Raiders with that car crash of a roster draft a player with the #5 overall pick in the one position where they already have an elite player? If BPA is taken to this level of extremity, you might as well not bother assigning teams to players in a mock draft and just let everyone take turns at picking who they think the next best player is, because clearly team needs are of a complete irrelevance.

I actually agree with you somewhat, but with the Raiders trainwreck of a roster they could use help everywhere. Even if it is putting an elite player at RT.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2014, 08:30:50 AM »
you might as well not bother assigning teams to players in a mock draft and just let everyone take turns at picking who they think the next best player is, because clearly team needs are of a complete irrelevance.

It's almost as if seeing how different people prioritize their board is part of what makes this interesting.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2014, 08:31:01 AM »
There is no way, no earthly imaginable scenario short of him retiring, in which Jared Veldheer is not a Raider next season. Sure, you could make Veldheer or Matthews play on the right, but when you have so many other holes in your roster, why the freak would you? Take one of the many players who fills one of the many holes rather than trying to do positional switches with the #5 overall.

This a deep draft at other positions the Raiders need to fill.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/04/29/examining-pressure-are-left-tackles-overvalued/

That article has stuck with me throughout the year, and likely has a good deal to do with why I  disagree with you. In terms of allotment of resources, I think one highly paid near-elite left tackle and one rookie deal near-elite right tackle is a cost-efficient way of providing great protection for a quarterback for the next 3-4 years, something that is especially pivotal in the AFC West.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:48:11 AM by ons »

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »
Every pick has sucked and you're all retarded.

Sir

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »
Board broke horribly for the falcons leaving us having to slightly reach for Mack.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:11 AM »
I think Mack would be a great addition to their D.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »

He didn't pass on an elite receiver.  Sammy Watkins was already gone.  And taking a tight end in the top five would be laughed at...unless Ebron runs in the 4.3s like Vernon Davis, that just isn't going to happen. 

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
I'm going to give Magilla until 2PM EST to make his pick.  That will be three hours. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: