Author Topic: Unofficial ‘21-22 Yankees Offseason thread  (Read 15859 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Unofficial ‘21-22 Yankees Offseason thread
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2021, 01:06:28 PM »
What you were responding to was me saying that the Yankees total payroll for 2021 was an entire Stanton--at $29M, which was his 2021 salary--higher than the Astros. It had nothing to do with the luxury tax. It was only meant offhandedly in the first place, but it's factually correct.

It's just you pointing the finger only at Hal. I don't buy that Cashman is only being cheap at Hal's directive. Firstly, he's tried to keep salaries lower for longer than Hal's had the directive. Beyond that, Hal's publicly said he's been willing to go over if the player made sense. So either Hal is hanging Cashman out to dry, or Brian likes trying to prove he can do it like the Rays. I think the answer is actually somewhere in the middle, but that doesn't absolve Cash.

Other than an upgrade at SS, what are they spending on? There isn't anyone who would've had the impact Harper would've. It's the same argument I make about the Jets. What are you saving money for? And it's doubly-so for the richest team in sports.

But as long as Hal keeps getting YES revenue and filling seats on Sunday afternoons, why should he care?

You absolutely have to factor in what Stanton costs the Yankees if you want to make that comparison. A huge part of the reason they actually traded for him is because they gave up dogshit prospects and got a pretty good discount on his monster contract. The deal doesn’t happen without those caveats and Stanton isn’t on the Yankee payroll.

How can Cashman be cheap but also have a top payroll? It’s no mistake that they are at the top of the league but always hover around the threshold. Why would he give 2 shits about the luxury tax, it’s not his money.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2021, 01:07:10 PM »
Where to spend money this offseason:

SS is a lock.
1B and CF can use upgrades.
You can always use Pitching.
2B (Siemien or Chris Taylor) if we reconfigured our infield.

SS - Correa and Seager will command monster deals. Story is a great consolation prize. I don’t love Baez but I would consider it.

CF - It’s Starling Marte or bust. He’s a perfect fit.

1B - Do whatever you can to pry Freeman away from Atlanta. When that doesn’t work, re-sign Rizzo or get Schwarber. The other all-in move would be to traded Volpe or Jasson for Matt Olson on the A’s. He’s rumored to be on the block because Oakland can’t afford to pay him and he’s a lefty that crushes lefties. Perfect fit.

SP - Throw money at Scherzer even though he said he won’t do East Coast. I would def take a flier on Justin Verlander. Robbie Ray is a FA but will prob get overpaid. Stroman, Gausman, Syndergaard, Kershaw. Any of these guys would be a great add to our rotation.

Or we can sign Kris Bryant who can apparently play any position.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 01:10:27 PM by SixFeetDeep »

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2021, 01:23:21 PM »

SS is a lock.

SS - Correa and Seager will command monster deals. Story is a great consolation prize. I don’t love Baez but I would consider it.

1B - Do whatever you can to pry Freeman away from Atlanta. When that doesn’t work, re-sign Rizzo or get Schwarber. The other all-in move would be to traded Volpe or Jasson for Matt Olson on the A’s. He’s rumored to be on the block because Oakland can’t afford to pay him and he’s a lefty that crushes lefties. Perfect fit.

SP - Throw money at Scherzer even though he said he won’t do East Coast. I would def take a flier on Justin Verlander. Robbie Ray is a FA but will prob get overpaid. Stroman, Gausman, Syndergaard, Kershaw. Any of these guys would be a great add to our rotation.

They need to rectify last years mistake and go after Schwarber. He can play first, they can cycle him in left and he can obviously DH. 

Regarding shortstop, I love Volpe. There's a definite argument to be had to going all in with this core and therefore using him as a trade chip for a guy like Olson, but honestly I'd be ok with signing a guy like Andrelton Simmons (even off the bad year this year offensively he's an absolute stud with the glove), as a stop gap to hold the fort for a year, and spending the big money on at least one starting pitcher, Marte and more reinforcements for the pen.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2021, 02:06:19 PM »

Won't you have to find some way to get out from under Le Mahieu's deal if you do that?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2021, 10:42:51 PM »
Won't you have to find some way to get out from under Le Mahieu's deal if you do that?

In the above scenario, Gio or Gleyber is dealt and DJLM plays 2B or 3B. Technically it could work the way you suggested but a trade is less likely due to the contract like you said

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2021, 04:10:48 PM »
Cashman isn't cheap, it's not his money. The Steinbrenners would be the cheap ones. We'll see if they're willing to spend this offseason. Obviously, they spend at a high level compared to the rest of baseball. But they make more money than anyone in baseball, so they should spend the most.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »
You absolutely have to factor in what Stanton costs the Yankees if you want to make that comparison. A huge part of the reason they actually traded for him is because they gave up dogshit prospects and got a pretty good discount on his monster contract. The deal doesn’t happen without those caveats and Stanton isn’t on the Yankee payroll.

How can Cashman be cheap but also have a top payroll? It’s no mistake that they are at the top of the league but always hover around the threshold. Why would he give 2 shits about the luxury tax, it’s not his money.

This is a silly argument because I'm not anti-Stanton. I liked the deal at the time, and other than his health (and at times infuriating strikeouts) he's been amazing here. It will probably suck on the derriere-end, but otherwise, Stanton was a good deal.

My only point bringing Stanton up was because his salary for the year, $29M, was almost to the dollar the amount more the Yankees' total salary was than the Astros, whose salary was a few million more than the Sox, and both those teams lasted longer. It really was just an off-handed comment.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2021, 11:17:52 AM »

SS is a lock.

Seager and Story are the guys I'd target. I've heard rumors they'll target Semien.

100% agree on Marte. I wanted him to be the trade target at the deadline.

1B is going to be a mess again next year. I don't want to trade what it takes for Olson, Rizzo failed here, and Freeman isn't going anywhere. Cashman should've been all-in on Schwarber in the first place, and didn't, so I'm doubtful he'll do it now.

Scherzer didn't want to come here in July. Money talks, but I don't see it. Verlander should've been a Yankee years ago. Now? Other than us throwing gobs more money at him than anyone else, he hates this organization, so why would he come here?

The other starters you mentioned don't move the needle enough for me. First, I'm sick of health reclamation projects. This is one of the least healthy teams in the sport as it is. I wanted Stroman when we could've traded for him, and Thor pre-injury, but if we're going to play with injury risks, call Masahiro and ask him to come back.

This team's biggest need after SS to me is catcher. I don't want to see Gary Sanchez play meaningful innings for this team anymore.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2021, 11:22:33 AM »
Seager and Story are the guys I'd target. I've heard rumors they'll target Semien.

100% agree on Marte. I wanted him to be the trade target at the deadline.

1B is going to be a mess again next year. I don't want to trade what it takes for Olson, Rizzo failed here, and Freeman isn't going anywhere. Cashman should've been all-in on Schwarber in the first place, and didn't, so I'm doubtful he'll do it now.

Scherzer didn't want to come here in July. Money talks, but I don't see it. Verlander should've been a Yankee years ago. Now? Other than us throwing gobs more money at him than anyone else, he hates this organization, so why would he come here?

The other starters you mentioned don't move the needle enough for me. First, I'm sick of health reclamation projects. This is one of the least healthy teams in the sport as it is. I wanted Stroman when we could've traded for him, and Thor pre-injury, but if we're going to play with injury risks, call Masahiro and ask him to come back.

This team's biggest need after SS to me is catcher. I don't want to see Gary Sanchez play meaningful innings for this team anymore.
If Semien ends up leaving Tor...it'll be for the west coast
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2021, 11:26:32 AM »
Cashman isn't cheap, it's not his money. The Steinbrenners would be the cheap ones. We'll see if they're willing to spend this offseason. Obviously, they spend at a high level compared to the rest of baseball. But they make more money than anyone in baseball, so they should spend the most.

Yes, they should spend the most. And yet they don't. Even when Hal has said he'd go over for the right players, of which, many have come along.

Does everyone forget the bill of goods we were sold when the Machado/Harper year was coming and the Yankees were getting under the luxtax to blow through it then?

Cashman was making "smart" deals before George gave up the reins. The Boss couldn't have cared less what payroll was, all he wanted was wins. But again, Cashman has always loved his reclamation projects and relied on his interpretations of data to make deals. And he's had one title in over 20 years with that.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2021, 07:45:01 AM »
Boone back

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2021, 01:05:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/1450496260037914628

How dare anyone question the Yankees. They've had so much success recently, winning 1 World Series in 20 years.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2021, 01:30:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/1450496260037914628

How dare anyone question the Yankees. They've had so much success recently, winning 1 World Series in 20 years.

Oh freak. Off. Cash.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

Tags: