Author Topic: Unofficial ‘21-22 Yankees Offseason thread  (Read 15858 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Unofficial ‘21-22 Yankees Offseason thread
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »
Billy Beane has never won anything, so probably the same.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 10:08:18 AM »
Also Stanton costs the Yankees $22M per year, so no. Another case of poor spending by Cashman as I’m sure you have many posts on here complaining about dumping his salary

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »
The only bad contracts are:

Hicks: 4 years $40M
end of Stanton’s contact at age 37 which doesn’t affect us at all right now

You can second guess the Hicks contract due to health concerns but you can’t argue it was an overpay

If you think DJLM will continue to hit like he did this season and want to throw his contract on there go ahead, but $15M/year isn’t a backbreaker. And we all agreed it was a bargain after his first 2 seasons here.

Where are the other bad contracts/poor spending?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »

Gerrit Cole
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2021, 11:57:47 AM »
Marcus Thames is out.

EDIT: Nevin is also out.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:25:55 PM by mj2sexay »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2021, 12:55:18 PM »
Marcus Thames is out.

EDIT: Nevin is also out.
Bye bitches

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »
Billy Beane has never won anything, so probably the same.

That's ridiculous and you know it.

Beane has made chicken salad out of a dugout full of literal excrement. His team has had no money and played in arguably the worst stadium in sports, and they've still managed to contend. You're being completely disingenuous if you say he couldn't do great things with the same resources Cashman has.

Also Stanton costs the Yankees $22M per year, so no. Another case of poor spending by Cashman as I’m sure you have many posts on here complaining about dumping his salary

Stanton's salary was $29M this year, so yeah.

Beyond that, he's disappointed at times but was far better playing LF than full-time DHing, so chalk that up to overcaution being worse.

The only bad contracts are:

Hicks: 4 years $40M
end of Stanton’s contact at age 37 which doesn’t affect us at all right now

You can second guess the Hicks contract due to health concerns but you can’t argue it was an overpay

If you think DJLM will continue to hit like he did this season and want to throw his contract on there go ahead, but $15M/year isn’t a backbreaker. And we all agreed it was a bargain after his first 2 seasons here.

My argument isn't "poor spending", at least not in terms of paying guys who don't perform to their deals. When you're paying multiple top-end salaries, you're bound to have a bomb or two.

It's where he doesn't spend that drives me nuts. Every year, he searches for bargain bin discounts, as if he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. He let Tanaka go back to Japan and instead took fliers on Kluber and Taillon while waiting for Severino to get back. He also came in with a ridiculously right-handed lineup playing half their games in Yankee Stadium. And FFS, he loves his injury-red-flag players.

Since the Subway Series, Cashman rosters have won a single World Series with 3 different managers. At what point does he finally get some blame? I hear the "GMs like him don't just shake out of trees" but how does anyone know? Yet again, he has had a top-3 payroll every year. I can spend money like water too.

What makes Cashman special?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2021, 08:56:18 PM »
Bye bitches

Thames probably deserves to lose his job, but Nevin feels like a sacrificial lamb.

I don't have strong feelings either way on them though. Nevin tried to create runs for a team that couldn't drive them in. And what was Thames supposed to do, say "Hit more home runs guys"?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 09:32:37 PM »
Are there split stats with like a monthly breakdown of GIDPs? Is it just me or did we have less of them in the last 2 months of the season?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 09:48:29 PM »
Are there split stats with like a monthly breakdown of GIDPs? Is it just me or did we have less of them in the last 2 months of the season?

Code: [Select]

Split         GS   PA   R   H 2B 3B HR RBI  BB  SO  OBP  SLG  OPS GDP SH SF IBB ROE
April/March   26  981 102 192 32  0 37  97 113 226 .317 .390 .707  24  2  2   2   3
May           28 1006 100 208 27  2 25  87 100 268 .315 .352 .668  28  0  6   2   4
June          26 1014 127 223 38  3 44 121 113 243 .337 .450 .786  29  4  6   3   8
July          23  854  93 168 35  2 23  85  92 210 .327 .376 .703  19  4  5   1   6
August        29 1102 154 243 50  3 41 146 111 268 .336 .437 .773  22  0  9   5   7
Sept/Oct      30 1103 135 232 31  2 52 130  92 267 .304 .426 .729  32  0  6   1   3

I remember them talking about reduced GDPs during the big run, but after the summer, they made up for lost time.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 05:04:29 AM »
That's ridiculous and you know it.

Beane has made chicken salad out of a dugout full of literal excrement. His team has had no money and played in arguably the worst stadium in sports, and they've still managed to contend. You're being completely disingenuous if you say he couldn't do great things with the same resources Cashman has.

Stanton's salary was $29M this year, so yeah.

Beyond that, he's disappointed at times but was far better playing LF than full-time DHing, so chalk that up to overcaution being worse.

My argument isn't "poor spending", at least not in terms of paying guys who don't perform to their deals. When you're paying multiple top-end salaries, you're bound to have a bomb or two.

It's where he doesn't spend that drives me nuts. Every year, he searches for bargain bin discounts, as if he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. He let Tanaka go back to Japan and instead took fliers on Kluber and Taillon while waiting for Severino to get back. He also came in with a ridiculously right-handed lineup playing half their games in Yankee Stadium. And FFS, he loves his injury-red-flag players.

Since the Subway Series, Cashman rosters have won a single World Series with 3 different managers. At what point does he finally get some blame? I hear the "GMs like him don't just shake out of trees" but how does anyone know? Yet again, he has had a top-3 payroll every year. I can spend money like water too.

What makes Cashman special?

Stanton costs the Yankees $22M a year against the luxury tax, which is the only relevant number when it comes to his salary. The Marlins pay $7M a year.

Learn this, know this.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 05:07:22 AM »
It's where he doesn't spend that drives me nuts. Every year, he searches for bargain bin discounts, as if he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. He let Tanaka go back to Japan and instead took fliers on Kluber and Taillon while waiting for Severino to get back.

If only we had talked about this numerous times before and traced this issue directly back to Hal.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2021, 05:12:18 AM »
Barring a major change in the CBA, the Yankees will have to go over the luxury tax in 2022. Only way not to is with a massive roster overhaul.

If you’ve been paying attention to what Hal and Cashman have said (and believe it), we got under the luxury tax last season and the 2018-2019 offseason (Harper/Machado) to reset the tax penalties and go all in on an offseason that makes sense. This would be the one. We’ll see.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:16:40 AM by SixFeetDeep »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2021, 12:52:35 PM »
Stanton costs the Yankees $22M a year against the luxury tax, which is the only relevant number when it comes to his salary. The Marlins pay $7M a year.

Learn this, know this.

What you were responding to was me saying that the Yankees total payroll for 2021 was an entire Stanton--at $29M, which was his 2021 salary--higher than the Astros. It had nothing to do with the luxury tax. It was only meant offhandedly in the first place, but it's factually correct.

If only we had talked about this numerous times before and traced this issue directly back to Hal.

It's just you pointing the finger only at Hal. I don't buy that Cashman is only being cheap at Hal's directive. Firstly, he's tried to keep salaries lower for longer than Hal's had the directive. Beyond that, Hal's publicly said he's been willing to go over if the player made sense. So either Hal is hanging Cashman out to dry, or Brian likes trying to prove he can do it like the Rays. I think the answer is actually somewhere in the middle, but that doesn't absolve Cash.

Barring a major change in the CBA, the Yankees will have to go over the luxury tax in 2022. Only way not to is with a massive roster overhaul.

If you’ve been paying attention to what Hal and Cashman have said (and believe it), we got under the luxury tax last season and the 2018-2019 offseason (Harper/Machado) to reset the tax penalties and go all in on an offseason that makes sense. This would be the one. We’ll see.

Other than an upgrade at SS, what are they spending on? There isn't anyone who would've had the impact Harper would've. It's the same argument I make about the Jets. What are you saving money for? And it's doubly-so for the richest team in sports.

But as long as Hal keeps getting YES revenue and filling seats on Sunday afternoons, why should he care?

Tags: