Author Topic: Unofficial ‘21-22 Yankees Offseason thread  (Read 15883 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Unofficial ‘21-22 Yankees Offseason thread
« on: October 09, 2021, 08:35:55 AM »
On Thursday, the Yankees outrighted RHP Brody Koerner off the Major League roster and onto the roster of Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Additionally, LHP Andrew Heaney elected free agency on Thursday in lieu of accepting an outright assignment.

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Unofficial ‘21-22 Yankees Offseason thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »
My attitude regarding Girardi was brought up in the last thread. I didn't really like Girardi because he managed way too much from his book, but his final year here, I was a fan. I thought he did a pretty good job overall.

I feel the same way about Boone. He's a "player's coach" who isn't doing anything great or terrible.

My problem and this goes back to most of his tenure, is Brian Cashman. SFD and I have briefly discussed this, but the organization is pretty bad at using stats to inform decision-making, and it's killing this team.

I don't care if Boone stays or goes. I want a new voice in the front office. Cashman has won a single title in 20 years despite a top-3, usually top-1, payroll. For all the touting of the MiLB system, we have few young players impacting the pro team, and we seemingly win most of the trades we make.

I love Stanton (the left fielder, not the DH), but his salary stands in the way of other acquisitions because Hal likes to pinch pennies. That attitude has to change too. Other teams "have closed the gap" because the Yankees refuse to use their most potent weapon--the Steinbrenner checkbook. I still want to know what factored into the decision to not put Harper in pinstripes.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:55:53 AM »
Cashman has a year left and isn’t going anywhere

If Hal doesn’t approve going over the luxury tax this offseason, Cashman will have to put together another half-measure to try and fix this team instead of being able to go all in, in a championship window with an aging core.

Not signing Harper/Machado.

Not signing Brantley or Schwarber.

Trading Ottavino to the Red Sox to free up cap space, so that we can sign Brett Gardner at a reduced rate instead of Brantley or Schwarber.

Trading Cessa for cap space. (2.05 ERA with Reds, def could have used him when our bullpen was shitting all over itself in August)

Trading prospects so that we could get Odor (not a good player) for free.

Trading better prospects in the Gallo/Rizzo deals so that the Rangers/Cubs would pay their salary.

You think Cashman wants to do any of that excrement?

Sure bring in the new guy, he’ll still have to work around these constraints until Hal prioritizes winning over his bottom line.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 09:58:10 AM by SixFeetDeep »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 12:56:18 PM »
DJLM, Gleyber, and Gio all hurt us due to regression at the plate. Gleyber went from 38 HRs to power sapped. Hopefully DJ and Gio struggles were due to the nagging injuries they had all year.

Hicks and Voit also killed us due to injury. Had to endure Jay Bruce/Mike Ford/Chris Gittens at 1B and Ryan Lamarre/Jonathan Davis/Andujar in CF/LF during the first half.

He’s an afterthought now, but throw Clint Frazier in there was well. I’m not sure if his performance is tied to his his concussion and the lingering vertigo/dizziness affected him, but I think it’s safe to assume with the way the Yankees handled him to end the year.

From 2019-2020:

108 Games
.267 BA / .347 OBP / .497 SLG / .844 OPS

2021:

-1.4 WAR, .163 / .317 / .317 /.633 in 66 games

He clearly wasn’t the same

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 01:03:47 PM »
MLBTR Projected Arbitration increases:

Yankees (19)

Jameson Taillon – $4.7MM
Joey Gallo – $10.2MM
Gary Sanchez – $7.9MM
Aaron Judge – $17.1MM
Chad Green – $4.1MM
Wandy Peralta – $1.7MM
Jordan Montgomery – $4.8MM
Gio Urshela – $6.2MM
Luke Voit – $5.4MM
Gleyber Torres – $5.9MM
Clint Frazier – $2.4MM
Miguel Andujar – $1.7MM
Tyler Wade – $700K
Clay Holmes – $1.0MM
Jonathan Loaisiga – $1.7MM
Domingo German – $2.1MM
Lucas Luetge – $1.1MM
Tim Locastro – $700K
Kyle Higashioka – $1.2MM

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 09:30:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/clintfrazier/status/1447663488017575943?s=10
His other 2 tweets around that are Kid Cudi and Mac Miller lyrics. Wish it could have worked with Clint. That said, his trade value might be so completely shot where we might as well keep him and see what happens. Amazing how he and Andujar saw their values completely tank.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 07:44:36 AM »
The Padres' leadership has been asking around about possible candidates such as Ron Washington, Bruce Bochy, Buck Showalter, and there is curiosity about whether Boone will be available.

Yikes

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 07:45:50 AM »
His other 2 tweets around that are Kid Cudi and Mac Miller lyrics. Wish it could have worked with Clint. That said, his trade value might be so completely shot where we might as well keep him and see what happens. Amazing how he and Andujar saw their values completely tank.

At $2.4M, he’d have to be the 4th/5th OF

Judge
CF
Gallo
Hicks

I don’t think there’s room for him unless Hicks starts in CF

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 07:46:02 AM »
Yikes

Boone has to leave to make room for John Gibbons
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 10:04:19 AM »
At $2.4M, he’d have to be the 4th/5th OF

Judge
CF
Gallo
Hicks

I don’t think there’s room for him unless Hicks starts in CF

My math sucks. Sign a CF and hang onto Clint. But then the problem is that your 4th and 5th OFs are v injury prone. Need to add a OF either way though.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 10:05:36 AM »
https://twitter.com/ESPNNewYork/status/1447904645179854854?t=pMCCdlbqycCj21nj9li5VQ&s=19

For example: The San Diego Padres fired Jayce Tingler as their manager last week, and they are expected to hire someone who has managed in the big leagues before. Some of the names their leadership is asking about include Braves third-base coach Ron Washington -- who was a finalist for the San Diego job when Tingler was hired -- and Bruce Bochy, Brad Ausmus, Buck Showalter and Jeff Banister. As the unofficial canvassing has progressed, a source reports, one staffer has asked questions about Boone's status and whether he could be considered by the Padres.

We could be much worse off lol

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 08:26:17 PM »
Cashman has a year left and isn’t going anywhere

If Hal doesn’t approve going over the luxury tax this offseason, Cashman will have to put together another half-measure to try and fix this team instead of being able to go all in, in a championship window with an aging core.

Not signing Harper/Machado.

Not signing Brantley or Schwarber.

Trading Ottavino to the Red Sox to free up cap space, so that we can sign Brett Gardner at a reduced rate instead of Brantley or Schwarber.

Trading Cessa for cap space. (2.05 ERA with Reds, def could have used him when our bullpen was shitting all over itself in August)

Trading prospects so that we could get Odor (not a good player) for free.

Trading better prospects in the Gallo/Rizzo deals so that the Rangers/Cubs would pay their salary.

You think Cashman wants to do any of that excrement?

Sure bring in the new guy, he’ll still have to work around these constraints until Hal prioritizes winning over his bottom line.

I'm critical of Hal as well, and neither is free of blame to me, but Cashman hasn't been working under the luxtax ceiling for all of the last 21 years. Again, he's had top-3, mostly top-1 team salary for his whole tenure.

This season the Yankees were a Giancarlo Stanton ahead of the Astros ($179M vs $150M) who were $3M ahead of Boston.

Cashman spends poorly and hasn't drafted/developed well enough to play a homegrown lineup. Blaming player underperformance/regression is all well and good but when it's over and over again, you have to start wondering if the problem is actually evaluation.

What would Billy Beane do if he had the Yankees' resources--even with the under-tax constraint?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: