Author Topic: The All American Automotive Thread  (Read 40898 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

The All American Automotive Thread
« on: February 02, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
This is a place for people who drive cars made by Detroit for real Americans.  Owners of foreign cars can GTFO, especially Prius drivers.  Hate those guys.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: The All American Automotive Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »

Does Toledo count?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:47:51 AM »
My Prius has dual citizenship

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »
I've had American cars ad long as I can remember.

That being said , the only one that was good got totaled in an accident.

Aside from said totaled car, I have not had a good experience with them lol

I look forward to the day I can afford to decide what I drive

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
This is my third Jeep and they have all been fantastic vehicles. The panel fit might not be perfect every time and the plastics can be a bit low rent, but mechanically they are all but indestructible.

When I lived in the UK I had all manner of vehicles, including a couple of BMWs, an Audi, a Volvo, a Saab, a TVR, and just before I left a Mercedes SL. The Volvo was an amazingly comfortable car, the BMWs were as efficient and capable as their teutonic reputation suggests and the SL was headturningly cool, but I'm not sure I'd swap any of them for the Wrangler. American cars shouldn't be compared to European or Asian vehicles, at its best the American car industry does things that no-one else in the world does.

"The Jeep is America's only true sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
jap cars all day errday
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
jap cars all day errday

Buying Japanese cars because they're reliable (there's no other good reason to buy a Japanese car unless you're dropping a hundred grand on a GT-R) is like buying jeans with an elastic waistband because they're practical.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »
I've had American cars ad long as I can remember.

That being said , the only one that was good got totaled in an accident.

Aside from said totaled car, I have not had a good experience with them lol

I look forward to the day I can afford to decide what I drive

The times are changing, my friend.  America is back.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »
Buying Japanese cars because they're reliable (there's no other good reason to buy a Japanese car unless you're dropping a hundred grand on a GT-R) is like buying jeans with an elastic waistband because they're practical.

I bought the Prius because I needed a family car (two seats would no longer cut it), it was hitting a huge discount, and I live in LA.  We have excrement traffic and 50 mpg sounded great to me.  Add in the electronic features which were cool at the time, and it was a good purchase.  It just wasn't a good drive.  Having driven Euro cars, I'm amazed by how great the new Ford experience is.  My new FFTH is silent.  I drove 70 miles yesterday, mostly freeway, and had no road noise whatsoever.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »

RIP

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
I bought the Prius because I needed a family car (two seats would no longer cut it), it was hitting a huge discount, and I live in LA.  We have excrement traffic and 50 mpg sounded great to me.  Add in the electronic features which were cool at the time, and it was a good purchase.  It just wasn't a good drive.  Having driven Euro cars, I'm amazed by how great the new Ford experience is.  My new FFTH is silent.  I drove 70 miles yesterday, mostly freeway, and had no road noise whatsoever.

I still love my Prius because I truly don't care about driving experience other than safety.  Getting me from A to B as cheaply as possible is all I care about.  Within reason (walking technically is the cheapest but I work 20 miles away).  I'd drive pink car with glitter on it if it got better gas mileage than what i currently have. I understand the horsepower/appearance thing, but it isn't me.  Whenever a Tesla comes down in price in a few years I'll be interested in that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:02:24 PM by bojanglesman »

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »
The times are changing, my friend.  America is back.

Well ironically the car I loved that I was referring to was a Buick Park Avenue.

The only car I've ever had that I didn't have any complaints about.

I prolly would get a Buick or Caddy if I had the money.

Most other American companies I'm not fond of.

I've driven a few Fords and they're horribly engineered. Especially when you need to start removing door panels for electric/ window/ audio work.

They use literally just about any random measurements you can think of inside the guts of the vehicle.

Remove numerous standard measurement bolts to open up a panel needing metric tools. Remove that only to need those arbitrary measurements that nobody ever uses.

But 04 is the newest model anything I've ever owned. I know the collapse actually helped the industry cause they stopped trying to follow Asian/euro auto trends and finally got back to making solid vehicles.

Either way my Explorer just took a excrement on me and I font even have the money go take it in right now

I'm hoping its simple otherwise I'm fucked.

Infiniti Q45 is still one of my favorite vehicles of all time.

Wish they still made them.

I know, its Nissan. But still they're luxury vehicles with power that handle lime a dream. Its like driving a turbo cloud

I do like Dodges movement to streamline all the muscle cars of yesteryear.

Haven't driven any though to know if the ride matches the look.

What'd you end up getting? I saw on Feb u were auto dhopping

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 03:54:19 PM »
Well ironically the car I loved that I was referring to was a Buick Park Avenue.

The only car I've ever had that I didn't have any complaints about.

I prolly would get a Buick or Caddy if I had the money.

Most other American companies I'm not fond of.

I've driven a few Fords and they're horribly engineered. Especially when you need to start removing door panels for electric/ window/ audio work.

They use literally just about any random measurements you can think of inside the guts of the vehicle.

Remove numerous standard measurement bolts to open up a panel needing metric tools. Remove that only to need those arbitrary measurements that nobody ever uses.

But 04 is the newest model anything I've ever owned. I know the collapse actually helped the industry cause they stopped trying to follow Asian/euro auto trends and finally got back to making solid vehicles.

Either way my Explorer just took a excrement on me and I font even have the money go take it in right now

I'm hoping its simple otherwise I'm fucked.

Infiniti Q45 is still one of my favorite vehicles of all time.

Wish they still made them.

I know, its Nissan. But still they're luxury vehicles with power that handle lime a dream. Its like driving a turbo cloud

I do like Dodges movement to streamline all the muscle cars of yesteryear.

Haven't driven any though to know if the ride matches the look.

What'd you end up getting? I saw on Feb u were auto dhopping

I wouldn't have touched an American car for about 10 years there.  It's like night and day now.  I got a Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid.  It's a legit luxury sedan.  So far, it's a better drive than almost anything I've ever driven, and that includes Euros.  My Prius MPG fell off, so I'm getting the same mileage.  Oh, and it parallel parks itself.  That's huge for LA.  I can parallel park with the best of them, but getting to take my hands off the wheel and just let the car do the work?  Amazing.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »
I'm gonna be rockin a ford soon. Fiesta ST, fun little hot hatch for the back roads. Nice gas mileage for the long drives. Ford has been good for a few years now.

klaximilian

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
Does this qualify?