Author Topic: Zach Fans, Not Jets Fans  (Read 163320 times)

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
Re: Zach to the Future
« Reply #630 on: September 27, 2021, 11:22:45 PM »
Wilson obviously plays a significant role in the drops. I can recall more than a few the ball was put in the least catchable spot imaginable.

Is this phrase even remotely serious?

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #631 on: September 28, 2021, 12:01:28 AM »
Wilson obviously plays a significant role in the drops. I can recall more than a few the ball was put in the least catchable spot imaginable.
That's not how drops are calculated.  The ball needs to be an obvious catch that is dropped

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #632 on: September 28, 2021, 01:43:24 AM »
That's not how drops are calculated.  The ball needs to be an obvious catch that is dropped

So if a QB throws a ball completley behind a wideout running a crossing route, the wideout has to stop and turn behind him contorting his body, is able to get his hands on it, and drops it.

That's not a drop?

Because it sounds like a drop to me, but it sounds like a drop that's more of a factor of the QB making a poor throw than on the wideout

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #633 on: September 28, 2021, 08:40:10 AM »
So if a QB throws a ball completley behind a wideout running a crossing route, the wideout has to stop and turn behind him contorting his body, is able to get his hands on it, and drops it.

That's not a drop?

Because it sounds like a drop to me, but it sounds like a drop that's more of a factor of the QB making a poor throw than on the wideout

If you are referencing the throw to Corey Davis this week, Wilson threw it behind him to protect him from the safety that would have taken his head off. That ball was absolutely catchable, especially for someone that was brought in here to be this team’s #1 WR.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #634 on: September 28, 2021, 09:02:30 AM »
70% is a great completion percentage, but without context this means excrement.

Unless someone on here masturbates to PFF (or whoever makes this statistic) 70% means nothing.

That could be the best adjusted completion percentage in the league, or ranked 32nd.

Just for some context there's 25 QBs with an actual completion percentage over 67%.

So my guess is that yes Zach has gotten hit by drops worse than most, even with this adjusted fantasy statistic he would very likely still be bottom 3 in the NFL in completion %
You were right.

https://twitter.com/Djbienaime/status/1442847434263175169?s=19

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #635 on: September 28, 2021, 10:24:58 AM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #636 on: September 28, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #637 on: September 28, 2021, 01:29:23 PM »

That's not a drop?

Hank Gargiulo of ESPN Stats & Information passed along the written standard our game charters rely upon to reduce subjectivity.

This standard says drops are "incomplete passes where the receiver SHOULD have caught the pass with ORDINARY effort."

Basically, we're talking about blatant drops, not the ones where your old man leans over and says anything that grazed the receiver anywhere was a drop in his day.

"Only use this if the receiver is 100 percent at fault and no one else can be blamed for the incompletion," ESPN tells its game charters. "Pass interference that wasn't called/passes thrown just outside the receiver's reach, etc., are NOT drops."

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #638 on: September 28, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »

This is still bullshit.

How often is a receiver "100%" at fault?

And of course then it gives blatant examples not the questionable ones (ie balls just out of their reach aren't drops)

I still contend that poorly thrown QB passes can and will lead to an increase in drops

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #639 on: September 28, 2021, 01:40:37 PM »
What I like: As the No. 2 overall pick, Wilson has everything you want in a franchise quarterback, and I've seen some good things from him early, despite poor results. He's athletic enough to escape pressure, the route concepts are there and he's delivered some accurate passes. Unfortunately, the Jets have 11 drops through three games (second-most in the NFL, behind Pittsburgh's 12). 

What I dislike: In addition to a rookie quarterback, New York also has a rookie offensive coordinator. There's a reason Robert Saleh brought Mike LaFleur with him to New York; the offensive system LaFleur learned under Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco is meant to put the offense one step ahead of the defense. But that's not what I'm seeing from the Jets right now. Based on my own experience as a rookie QB, I'm guessing this is because Wilson is watching film on the sideline and making adjustments after the fact -- and then by the time he gets out there again, the defense has already changed. (Of course, back in 2002, I was looking at pictures on the sideline instead of video.) I remember constantly working to ensure I had answers for everything at the line of scrimmage: What if a receiver falls down? What if my receiver isn't in the right spot? Who's my go-to if the play goes off-schedule? The list was endless.

Wilson appears to be getting to the end of his progression and freezing up because, for one reason or another, he's run out of options -- and he's paying the price for it. According to Next Gen Stats, heading into Monday Night Football, there were 91 sacks in the NFL this season that took more than 4.5 seconds from snap to tackle, with Wilson accounting for a league-high eight such sacks. He needs some help from his play-caller and supporting cast.

Derek Carr on ZW.

Also interesting to note that ZW leads the nfl in sacks holding the ball > 4.5 seconds  (accounting for almost 10% of the entire nfls such sacks)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 01:42:15 PM by dcm1602 »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #640 on: September 28, 2021, 03:28:51 PM »
This is still bullshit.

How often is a receiver "100%" at fault?

And of course then it gives blatant examples not the questionable ones (ie balls just out of their reach aren't drops)

I still contend that poorly thrown QB passes can and will lead to an increase in drops
Drops are subjective. Easiest way to track it is to only look at obvious drops.

Most of the ones we've had this season have been borderline. Receivers could come down with them, but defenders jostled the receivers enough to force incompletions.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #641 on: September 28, 2021, 05:26:25 PM »
Derek Carr on ZW.

Also interesting to note that ZW leads the nfl in sacks holding the ball > 4.5 seconds  (accounting for almost 10% of the entire nfls such sacks)

If Zach has "run out of options", as Carr states, it seems like more of a scheme/play call issue than anything else.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #642 on: September 28, 2021, 05:37:18 PM »
Derek Carr on ZW.

I strongly suspect that Derek Carr didn't say any of this.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #643 on: September 30, 2021, 10:36:53 AM »

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #644 on: October 03, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
Yessir

Tags: