Author Topic: Zach Fans, Not Jets Fans  (Read 163290 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Zach to the Future
« Reply #615 on: September 27, 2021, 02:37:08 PM »
What other things besides drops?

but also factors out those passes that were batted at the line of scrimmage, thrown away, spiked, and even those that resulted from the quarterback being hit in their throwing motion.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #616 on: September 27, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »
That's not really true. We gave Sanchez an elite line and a punishing run game for the first two years of his career. By the time we lost a couple of players and replaced them with slightly less good pieces (or in the case of Wayne Hunter, completely wastes of space) it was reasonably expected that Sanchez might have got a bit better at reading the field and the game, and being responsible with the ball.

Which of the great QBs did what they did with a poor OL? At any point in their career?

If you let your line fall apart, or don't have one in the first place, all the QB talent in the world is never going to be enough.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #617 on: September 27, 2021, 05:54:54 PM »
Which of the great QBs did what they did with a poor OL? At any point in their career?

If you let your line fall apart, or don't have one in the first place, all the QB talent in the world is never going to be enough.

Sure, but the point was that we never gave Sam a serviceable OL and he never developed as a result, and that so far we're on a similar track with Zach. You said we did the same with Sanchez, and we didn't.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #618 on: September 27, 2021, 06:03:18 PM »
Most teams have crappy offensive lines. The best quarterbacks can overcome it go varying degrees. Obviously it is ideal for a young QB to have an effective line though.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #619 on: September 27, 2021, 08:24:54 PM »
Sure, but the point was that we never gave Sam a serviceable OL and he never developed as a result, and that so far we're on a similar track with Zach. You said we did the same with Sanchez, and we didn't.

We gave Sanchez a pretty good line his first couple of years. They made the title game. When the line took a downturn, so did his career.

Most teams have crappy offensive lines. The best quarterbacks can overcome it go varying degrees. Obviously it is ideal for a young QB to have an effective line though.

Which of the best QBs in their good years overcame crappy offensive lines?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #620 on: September 27, 2021, 08:48:28 PM »

Russ

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #621 on: September 27, 2021, 09:05:54 PM »
Russ

I guess that's fair. Has his OL been that bad? I don't follow west coast teams enough to say, but I'll take your word for it.

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #622 on: September 27, 2021, 09:08:50 PM »
Horrible, but he's super mobile. I don't if we can generalize out of his example.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #623 on: September 27, 2021, 09:16:48 PM »
Horrible, but he's super mobile. I don't if we can generalize out of his example.

In fairness, I asked for an example, and someone had one.

I still maintain a solid OL is critical to QB success, but that answer was valid.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #624 on: September 27, 2021, 09:17:10 PM »
We gave Sanchez a pretty good line his first couple of years. They made the title game. When the line took a downturn, so did his career.

Which of the best QBs in their good years overcame crappy offensive lines?

The 2006 Colts line wasn't anything special, the guy behind it was. Jeff Saturday was obviously elite and Glenn was Hall Of Very Good material, but I don't think the rest were anything to write home about. Similar to MexJet's disclaimer about Russ though, I'm not sure that any Peyton Manning led offense can be used to prove a point given the exceptionalism of the guy running it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #625 on: September 27, 2021, 09:43:12 PM »
Russ

Russ also had a pretty a impressive running back to keep defenses honest

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #626 on: September 27, 2021, 09:49:58 PM »
Jets second in the league in total drops with 11. 1st in drops per target. 11.2% of Zach Wilsons targets have been dropped.

NFL Median rate is 4.8%
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #627 on: September 27, 2021, 09:53:17 PM »
It's really like no part of our offense wants to look good or even competent.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #628 on: September 27, 2021, 10:01:02 PM »
Chiefs line didn't look so hot for Mahomes last year. Wilson.

Obviously I want the Jets to build the wall but the majority of teams have weak offensive lines.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #629 on: September 27, 2021, 10:28:01 PM »
Wilson obviously plays a significant role in the drops. I can recall more than a few the ball was put in the least catchable spot imaginable.

Tags: