Author Topic: lolcowboys  (Read 59500 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: lolcowboys
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »
Rotocrap:

The Cowboys are expected to restructure the contracts of both Tony Romo and Kyle Orton.
Dallas goes through this every offseason -- just pushing problems further down the road to deal with the following year. The Cowboys are currently projected to be nearly $25 million over the 2014 salary cap. Turning Romo's $13.5 million base salary into the veteran's minimum and a "signing bonus" would create over $9 million in cap space. Orton and his $4.37 million cap number could be released, but that would save a meager $995,000.

Can the Cowboys just declare NFL cap bankruptcy and start with a clean slate?
"Wrong!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »
http://overthecap.com/looking-dallas-cowboys-alarming-cap-mess/

They are going to have to release Ware, cut Miles Austin after June 1, AND restructure 3-5 contracts just to get below the cap and sign their draft picks.

They are going to end up paying Tony Romo until 2045 at this rate.  I hope he tries to find a way to keep Ware so this excrement goes further down the toilet.  Dumbass gave his kicker a huge contract despite being in the hole massively. 

Jerry Jones is an elite dumpster fire.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:11:28 AM by bojanglesman »

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »
They might be brutal for a year or two. Trying to mess with the salary cap calculator and it's hard to figure out how they can retain talent and stay under the cap.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »
They might be brutal for a year or two. Trying to mess with the salary cap calculator and it's hard to figure out how they can retain talent and stay under the cap.

I farted around with it too.  I restructured Romo, Witten, cut Ware and Miles Austin (June 1) and finally got under the cap, barely.  I still wouldn't have enough to sign the draft class.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 08:50:36 AM »
I farted around with it too.  I restructured Romo, Witten, cut Ware and Miles Austin (June 1) and finally got under the cap, barely.  I still wouldn't have enough to sign the draft class.

You can restructure their entire defensive backfield to get around 7 million under (on top of the Romo restructure and cutting Ware) but it fucks you over for 2015.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 08:53:04 AM »
You can restructure their entire defensive backfield to get around 7 million under (on top of the Romo restructure and cutting Ware) but it fucks you over for 2015.

It's kind of fun seeing how you and Jerry Jones, together, can freak up the future of a team.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 09:10:19 AM »
I hope they release Ware and the Jets pick him up.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 09:13:20 AM »

hahaha....i was thinking the same thing.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
I have never seen such a bad situation, and is going to be fun to try and figure this out. 

They currently have 62 players under contract, and according to over the cap, a total of $145 million.  According to spotrac, they have a number of 152 Million.  The one thing I don't like about over the cap is the top 51 number and the total number, but the top 51 number plus dead money doesn't equal $145 Million, it equals 152 million, so let's use 152 million.

Even worse, is the situation that they are in next year where they only have 39 players under contract, assuming the TV deal doesn't significantly jump like I expect it will. 

For the Record, the Romo deal was the dumbest contract I think I have ever seen.  With that said, I guess you could convert $12 Million of his salary into signing bonus, and will guarantee he is the quarterback through the 2016 season.  That would put him at 37 years old going into the 2017 season.  However, even though it will save them $9.5 Million this season, it will give Romo a $28 Million dollar cap number in 2015. 

Demarcus Ware has converted part of his salary every season for the last 3 years, and I expect the same will happen this season, since Jerry Jones is an idiot, again assuming that their isn't a significant cap bump in 2015.  The smart move is to trade him.  If he converts $10 Million to that will save them $7.5 Million as they can only prorate for 4 years.  You could add void years for proration purposes, but I didn't. 

Brandon Carr converts $6 Million to signing bonuses and saves $4.5 Million

Kyle Orton pay cut to guaranteed 2015 salary of $2.5 Million. 

Jason Witten converts $4 Million to signing bonuses and saves $3 Million

Miles Austin June 1st designation cut saves $3 Million

Sean Lee converts $4 Million and saves $3.2 Million

That is a total reduction of $33.2 Million

Extend Dez Bryant with a 5 year contract with a sizeable signing bonus so the salaries are low for 2014 and 2015, and lets use a cap number of $5 Million in 2014.

That puts the 2014 cap number at $124 Million, in addition, they will have to cut 9 players to get down to 53.  If they each make $500,000 that would save another $4.5 Million, and if they sign 4 draft picks that is another $2 Million.  However they will have about $3 Million in those signings.  Net result $3.5 Million savings, and a 2014 cap coming out of training camp of $120.5 Million.

Now, we handled 2014, but as mentioned before, 2015 is a nightmare in itself.  They were sitting at about $130 Million, but because of the conversions you have to add $8.3 Million, and you start the process all over again.  Plus the Bryant contract minus the Austin cut savings.  Pretty close to a wash.

Did I miss anything?  I don't enough about the Cowboys to know which high priced players are expendable, and I used the highest players available to just convert.  Obviously, straight cuts would be better if possible. 

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:13:29 AM by hawk »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
If Jerry suddenly developed some sense and tried to actually fix this situation, I would let Ware go, cut Miles Austin (June 1), restructure Romo and maybe Sean Lee and Orton.  Witten is too old to restructure.  Restructure just enough to get under the cap and then start playing young guys.  Throw the draft picks out there to play.  You can't tank a season to get back under the cap, but at least if you play a ton of recent draft picks you have a chance to maybe find a diamond in the rough while not spending a ton.  Either way, 2014 and/or 2015 if going to be a excrement year for them.  Gotta take the pain sometime.  Sooner the better.

The scary thing is that it may make sense to let Dez Bryant hit free agency.  They can't afford to re-sign him.

I hope they sign Dez to a massive deal that is backloaded and keep Ware too.  Burn baby burn.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:54:47 AM by bojanglesman »

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 01:19:51 PM »
If Jerry suddenly developed some sense and tried to actually fix this situation, I would let Ware go, cut Miles Austin (June 1), restructure Romo and maybe Sean Lee and Orton.  Witten is too old to restructure.  Restructure just enough to get under the cap and then start playing young guys.  Throw the draft picks out there to play.  You can't tank a season to get back under the cap, but at least if you play a ton of recent draft picks you have a chance to maybe find a diamond in the rough while not spending a ton.  Either way, 2014 and/or 2015 if going to be a excrement year for them.  Gotta take the pain sometime.  Sooner the better.

The scary thing is that it may make sense to let Dez Bryant hit free agency.  They can't afford to re-sign him.

I hope they sign Dez to a massive deal that is backloaded and keep Ware too.  Burn baby burn.

I didn't restructure any contracts.  I just converted salary to signing bonus.  It is money that is going to be paid anyway, just spreading it out. 

Also, I agree, move on from Ware, but I think we both know that isn't going to happen.  I wouldn't however just cut him.  He is worth something. 

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »
To my knowledge, that's what restructuring is.  Moving around $ within the same contract.  I wasn't talking about extending deals.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »

This team needs to get younger though

Ware is a great player, but he's going to be 32 when the season starts and he's coming back from surgery.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 01:32:56 PM »
This team needs to get younger though

Ware is a great player, but he's going to be 32 when the season starts and he's coming back from surgery.

Yeah, but still.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »
To my knowledge, that's what restructuring is.  Moving around $ within the same contract.  I wasn't talking about extending deals.

I guess it would be a consideration of definition.  My opinion is a restructuring is adding or subtracting money.  The contracts stay exactly the same accept for accounting purposes, and at what point the actual money changes hands. 

Tags: