Author Topic: 2024 Hall of Fame candidiates  (Read 852 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: 2024 Hall of Fame candidiates
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 09:08:54 AM »
Did you know Antonio Gates used to play basketball?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 09:14:16 AM »
Did you know Antonio Gates used to play basketball?

I'm kinda shocked this is his first eigibility, feels like a decade or more since he retired.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 10:13:18 AM »
How many guys get voted in per year? Is there a cap? Seems like there's a bunch of names that should probably not have been multi-time semifinalists and should've already gotten in.

Though it could be my memory of guys being better than they were and should only be in the Hall of Very Good?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 10:22:37 AM »
How many guys get voted in per year? Is there a cap? Seems like there's a bunch of names that should probably not have been multi-time semifinalists and should've already gotten in.

Though it could be my memory of guys being better than they were and should only be in the Hall of Very Good?

Yeah I don't think it's an especially strong class. If it was me I'd put Gates, James Harrison and Jared Allen in. Possibly Hester as well but that might be just because Heismanberg has worn me down on the topic.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 12:15:17 PM »
Yeah I don't think it's an especially strong class. If it was me I'd put Gates, James Harrison and Jared Allen in. Possibly Hester as well but that might be just because Heismanberg has worn me down on the topic.

Hester was honestly my biggest "How is he not in?" guy when I saw the list. During his peak, there was no one better in the return game. That's what HoF is supposed to be: the best for his time period. I can only assume he's getting snubbed because special teams "doesn't matter."

Holt, Boldin, Peppers, and Woodson should be in, I think.

Honestly, I could legit see that entire list deserve to be in, but again, is it my memory making them better than HoVG?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 12:23:58 PM »
Hester was honestly my biggest "How is he not in?" guy when I saw the list. During his peak, there was no one better in the return game. That's what HoF is supposed to be: the best for his time period. I can only assume he's getting snubbed because special teams "doesn't matter."

He didn't produce anything on offense, returns are fun but increasingly irrelevant, he only came close to winning anything in his rookie year, and he didn't really score after his first couple of years. He was one of the best at what he did which is why I agree he should be in, but I can see the arguments against.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 12:32:08 PM »
He didn't produce anything on offense, returns are fun but increasingly irrelevant, he only came close to winning anything in his rookie year, and he didn't really score after his first couple of years. He was one of the best at what he did which is why I agree he should be in, but I can see the arguments against.

This is why I disagree. Returns are incredibly relevant but have always been discounted. Starting field position can change a game. One of the primary reasons everyone always points out with our defense is getting the offense better field position. It's also why fans of the Jets lose their minds over punters. A returner getting you closer to the 50 is giving your offense a much better chance to score points.

If we had a peak Hester on this team right now, we might have a few more wins just from Legatron. I definitely got my hopes too far up with Gipson in week 1.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 12:49:48 PM »
This is why I disagree. Returns are incredibly relevant but have always been discounted. Starting field position can change a game. One of the primary reasons everyone always points out with our defense is getting the offense better field position. It's also why fans of the Jets lose their minds over punters. A returner getting you closer to the 50 is giving your offense a much better chance to score points.

If we had a peak Hester on this team right now, we might have a few more wins just from Legatron. I definitely got my hopes too far up with Gipson in week 1.

Oh yeah? Then in that case I look forward to your campaign to have Cordarrelle Patterson, Joe McKnight, Andre Roberts, Leon Washington, Josh Cribbs and a whole bunch of others inducted into Canton, given they all gave their teams better average starting field position than Hester.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/kick_ret_yds_per_ret_career.htm

His punt return ranking is rather better but again, please go ahead and make the case for inducting Desmond Howard.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/punt_ret_yds_per_ret_career.htm

My point though was that increasingly returns are being devalued because the rules are being changed to prevent them happening at all. Hester was a great player but he isn't a blueprint for a modern player. That might be one of the best arguments for his inclusion - we won't ever see one like him again, because the game is designed for a player like Hester to not succeed.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 04:50:57 PM »

His punt return ranking is rather better but again, please go ahead and make the case for inducting Desmond Howard.

You mean Super Bowl MVP Desmond Howard?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 05:09:36 PM »

You mean Super Bowl MVP Desmond Howard?

Yes the very same. He has better stats, a Heisman, a Super Bowl ring, and a Super Bowl MVP award, and he didn't even get a single short list nomination to go into Canton. Again, I'm not arguing against Hester, I just think that track record to date tells us he probably isn't getting in.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 05:21:28 PM »
Remember when Devin Hester thought he was a legit WR? That was fun.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 02:16:15 PM »
Sounds like McMichael, Peppers and Hester are all getting in.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 09:52:45 PM »
LOL Antonio Gates wasn't inducted. Canton is a joke.

Tags: