Author Topic: Johnny English's Blazin' Hot Peppers Thread  (Read 6576 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Johnny English's Blazin' Hot Peppers Thread
« on: January 30, 2021, 03:37:04 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/us/record-for-fastest-time-eating-three-carolina-reaper-peppers-trnd/index.html

Mike Jack of London, Ontario, ate three Carolina Reaper chili peppers is 9.72 seconds, setting the Guinness World for fastest time to eat three of those peppers, which Guinness says are the world's hottest.
Guinness certified the Carolina Reaper as the world's hottest pepper in 2017.

Guinness says the chili pepper delivers an average of 1.5 million Scoville Heat Units (SHU). The SHU scale to measure chili pepper heat was developed by American chemist Wilbur Scoville in 1912.

The average jalapeņo pepper scores between 2,500 to 8,000 SHU, according to Guinness.

Enjoy shitting fire tomorrow JE.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Johnny English's Blazin' Hot Peppers Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 03:47:34 PM »
London is much closer to IATA than me.

I grew Reapers a couple of years ago, they were ferocious. It's hard to use superhots well, it's easy to make things taste hot but it's much harder to create something that allows you to draw out the flavour of the pepper as well. I grew Chocolate Scorpions last year and they're also exceedingly hot, but I used one in a sauce the other day with grapes and balsamic vinegar and it came out beautifully.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 04:01:55 PM »
I've always liked vinegar with tabasco peppers in it on collard and turnip greens to give them a little kick.  That's about as hot as I'm going.  People that eat these Ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers are insane.  I would have to soak my poopchute in ice for a month.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 04:10:29 PM »
I like cholula sauce

Thanks for listening
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 04:20:56 PM »
I've always liked vinegar with tabasco peppers in it on collard and turnip greens to give them a little kick.  That's about as hot as I'm going.  People that eat these Ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers are insane.  I would have to soak my poopchute in ice for a month.

I'm not into the whole competitive side of chowing down peppers for the purpose of demonstrating that I can handle more pain than the next guys, but I do like hot food. Like anything else you develop tolerance, I'm quite happy having a vindaloo and in most pubs I'll go with the suicide level for wings but there is a point at which it's too much for me.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 04:23:05 PM »
I'm not into the whole competitive side of chowing down peppers for the purpose of demonstrating that I can handle more pain than the next guys, but I do like hot food. Like anything else you develop tolerance, I'm quite happy having a vindaloo and in most pubs I'll go with the suicide level for wings but there is a point at which it's too much for me.
I don't have that tolerance yet.  I like wings hot enough to make me sniffle, but not hot enough to make me need to drink water to cool off.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 04:23:47 PM »
We need to test this theory the next time we're all together in NY.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
When are you coming?  If we get Boogie Watson are you down for tailgate?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 04:28:39 PM »
I don't have that tolerance yet.  I like wings hot enough to make me sniffle, but not hot enough to make me need to drink water to cool off.

Yes, but when you build that tolerance those same wings that would be too hot for you today will be the wings that just make your nose run.

Also, water doesn't really help. That's what the blue cheese sauce is there for, fat breaks down the capsaicin that's burning up your mouth. Fries or bread will help as well, starchy food will mop it up from your tongue.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »
When are you coming?  If we get Boogie Watson are you down for tailgate?
Gase is gone, so I'm down...even if we don't get Boogie.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 04:30:10 PM »

You bet. I brought some of my hot sauce last time I came down for a tailgate, but, well. Y'know.

I'm not out to compete though, there's always someone who can eat something hotter. I just like spicy burny hot.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 04:31:20 PM »
What kills me with vindaloo sometimes is there's no consistency in the heat level across different restaurants around here. And I also can't remember which restaurant had the one that was too hot.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 04:32:33 PM »
You bet. I brought some of my hot sauce last time I came down for a tailgate, but, well. Y'know.

I'm not out to compete though, there's always someone who can eat something hotter. I just like spicy burny hot.
I used to be like this in my 20s...but I'm sure my digestive system looks like Hiroshima now.  My heat tolerance has come down significantly.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 04:33:41 PM »
What kills me with vindaloo sometimes is there's no consistency in the heat level across different restaurants around here. And I also can't remember which restaurant had the one that was too hot.

That's true, with wings you at least have a constant baseline of Tabasco / Frank's no matter where you are and you can always gauge from there where other sauces lie on the scale. Curry doesn't have a definitive point of comparison.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
I used to be like this in my 20s...but I'm sure my digestive system looks like Hiroshima now.  My heat tolerance has come down significantly.

I always order my wings dry with the sauce on the side. At some point later in the night I'm going to have to take my contact lenses out, and you only make that mistake once with hot sauces.