Author Topic: Stonks, Crypto, NFTs, AI, and all manner of finance/tech shenanigans  (Read 45141 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Stonks, Crypto, NFTs, AI, and all manner of finance/tech shenanigans
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 12:54:21 PM »
Well they are literally blocking people from buying, so...
Isn't Robinhood the only one blocking purchases of Gamestop?

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 01:14:43 PM »
Isn't Robinhood the only one blocking purchases of Gamestop?

no, many others are now, some are putting limits and others just warning against.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 01:17:43 PM »
no, many others are now, some are putting limits and others just warning against.

I imagine the justification they will use is that the publicity means that a bunch of idiot people who have never bought or sold a share in their life have decided that this is just too good an opportunity to miss, are trying to buy into GME a day after they missed the boat, and will then squeal and whine in the media about how this big evil company made them lose their life savings by not protecting them properly.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 01:37:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/justinkan/status/1354853920762253315?s=20

https://twitter.com/justinkan/status/1354861746897346560?s=20

Some of that sounds very made up. Why would Sequoia, a company that makes its money from technology growth investments, and "the White House" call a single trading platform to tell them to stop trading in a particular retail stock in order to protect a few institutional short sellers? And how would a "low-level, technical excrement, comp sciences major, not finance side" employee overhear those calls?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 01:45:42 PM »
Some of that sounds very made up. Why would Sequoia, a company that makes its money from technology growth investments, and "the White House" call a single trading platform to tell them to stop trading in a particular retail stock in order to protect a few institutional short sellers? And how would a "low-level, technical excrement, comp sciences major, not finance side" employee overhear those calls?

it's amazing what you can hack into nowadays when you have the technical acumen to do so.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 01:50:56 PM »
it's amazing what you can hack into nowadays when you have the technical acumen to do so.

Not the phones and call recordings at a trading company. I know from first hand experience the level of security and audit log that goes into those platforms because, well, y'know.

Encryption / decryption happens at device level, not transit, so the only way to hack into a live call is by physically tapping the receiver. Recordings are encrypted at rest and decryption/playback are security controlled and captured in audit log, often with escalated alerts.

No one is overhearing the CxOs of a trading company on calls with the White House because they're a junior tech in the company.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2021, 02:15:33 PM »
Not the phones and call recordings at a trading company. I know from first hand experience the level of security and audit log that goes into those platforms because, well, y'know.

Encryption / decryption happens at device level, not transit, so the only way to hack into a live call is by physically tapping the receiver. Recordings are encrypted at rest and decryption/playback are security controlled and captured in audit log, often with escalated alerts.

No one is overhearing the CxOs of a trading company on calls with the White House because they're a junior tech in the company.

All you need is a program to decrypt the VOIP traffic. Like VoipShark.

"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 02:33:31 PM »
All you need is a program to decrypt the VOIP traffic. Like VoipShark.

Most of these shops use CCUM, decryption requires a vendor generated key. They're all 3DES and without the license access you can't just tap into a stream with a bit of freeware - you'll only get routing information from the header. I promise you that hacking the voice traffic of a trading org is not a thing, at least not something that a junior IT schmuck could do.

Seriously, read that tweet. It's a guy with a podcast to promote sharing a screenshot of an anonymous guy on Reddit claiming to have overheard the White House calling the President and CxO team of a brokerage telling them to stop trading a share in order to protect a few hedge funds. Of all the things that didn't happen, that didn't happen more than most of the other things.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2021, 02:33:50 PM »
What an absolute loser.

Agreed. With a bit of luck Texas will finally wake up and replace him.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2021, 02:35:20 PM »
Most of these shops use CCUM, decryption requires a vendor generated key. They're all 3DES and without the license access you can't just tap into a stream with a bit of freeware - you'll only get routing information from the header. I promise you that hacking the voice traffic of a trading org is not a thing, at least not something that a junior IT schmuck could do.

Seriously, read that tweet. It's a guy with a podcast to promote sharing a screenshot of an anonymous guy on Reddit claiming to have overheard the White House calling the President and CxO team of a brokerage telling them to stop trading a share in order to protect a few hedge funds. Of all the things that didn't happen, that didn't happen more than most of the other things.

You know all this, but you couldn't fix avatars?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2021, 02:38:09 PM »
You know all this, but you couldn't fix avatars?

Haha. I sell that excrement, I couldn't install or configure it if my life depended on it.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard

Tags: