Author Topic: The Saga of Deshaun Watson  (Read 67901 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: The Saga of Deshaun Watson
« Reply #675 on: March 19, 2021, 09:40:40 PM »
Assuming he does not go to prison.

Is it cut and dry he never plays in the league again?

Or do the Texans seriously contemplate turning him into a reclamation project?
Given that he's only facing civil charges, he cannot go to prison.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #676 on: March 19, 2021, 09:55:16 PM »
Given that he's only facing civil charges, he cannot go to prison.

He's only facing civil charges at this time, no?

Wasn't there some bullshit about going to HPD

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #677 on: March 19, 2021, 10:20:48 PM »

Also I imagine the value of our first rounder just went up because of this.

How? I’d love the reasoning here
Need a new one for a new board...

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #678 on: March 19, 2021, 10:22:23 PM »
Stonks

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #679 on: March 19, 2021, 10:47:12 PM »

?

Zach Wilson wants to be remembered as one of the nice ones
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #680 on: March 19, 2021, 10:55:08 PM »

Odds were Watson was going to get traded
Presumably to a team with significant draft assets, that needed a QB

Now I'd imagine it's highly unlikely Watson gets traded before the draft, so you will have at least one extra team who needs a QB than if Watson was available on the trade market.

Not to mention, there's a decent chance thst this also makes the Texans need a QB at this point as well (even if they likely wouldn't be trading up for one, they'd still be taking from the supply of free agents/trade options)

Basically less supply and the same if not slightly more demand

I suppose this also potentially opens the Texans up as a legit Darnold trade candidate. They won't have the assets to get a 1st round QB, the fa market may be dried up at this point , and Darnold gives them a year while they sort out Watson drama.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:58:50 PM by dcm1602 »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #681 on: March 19, 2021, 11:01:07 PM »
I fully disagree potato head.

Watson was only going to one of two spots Miami or the Jets. No one else had the capital to make a move. Miami isn’t trading for 2 and we already own 2.
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #682 on: March 19, 2021, 11:09:57 PM »
I fully disagree potato head.

Watson was only going to one of two spots Miami or the Jets. No one else had the capital to make a move. Miami isn’t trading for 2 and we already own 2.

Pretty sure every single report out there said the Panthers wanted him more than any team in the league

I think it's unreasonable to count them out. And gambling odds had the broncos close to or exceeding the Jets as well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #683 on: March 19, 2021, 11:13:30 PM »
Miami trading for Watson probably would have raised the value of our pick more than any other scenario

But that also would have meant Miami having Watson

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #684 on: March 20, 2021, 12:43:29 AM »
Pretty sure every single report out there said the Panthers wanted him more than any team in the league

I think it's unreasonable to count them out. And gambling odds had the broncos close to or exceeding the Jets as well
Putting aside the legal issues, if you're the Texans, and you got the #8 pick and two future 1sts from the Panthers, are you able to get a franchise QB with any of those picks? The top 4 this year are all likely gone. So you'd have to trade up for likely your 3rd option. And to trade up from 8 to 2, for instance, they would have to give up one of those future 1sts and then additional value on top of that.

So basically, the #2 pick the Jets have is almost as valuable as the Panthers' next 3 first-round picks combined, once you assume that the Panthers' picks are likely late 1st-rounders because they would have Deshaun Watson.

That said, the legal issues make the Watson race a lot more wide open. The Texans don't have as much leverage because I assume some teams would not want to deal with that for good reason. So if the Jets and Dolphins would rather just go with Wilson and Tua than deal with the Watson headache, a lot of other teams now realistically enter the mix.

I'll still believe his NFL career is done when I see it. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #685 on: March 20, 2021, 01:51:06 AM »
Putting aside the legal issues, if you're the Texans, and you got the #8 pick and two future 1sts from the Panthers, are you able to get a franchise QB with any of those picks? The top 4 this year are all likely gone. So you'd have to trade up for likely your 3rd option. And to trade up from 8 to 2, for instance, they would have to give up one of those future 1sts and then additional value on top of that.

So basically, the #2 pick the Jets have is almost as valuable as the Panthers' next 3 first-round picks combined, once you assume that the Panthers' picks are likely late 1st-rounders because they would have Deshaun Watson.

That said, the legal issues make the Watson race a lot more wide open. The Texans don't have as much leverage because I assume some teams would not want to deal with that for good reason. So if the Jets and Dolphins would rather just go with Wilson and Tua than deal with the Watson headache, a lot of other teams now realistically enter the mix.

I'll still believe his NFL career is done when I see it. 

The Panthers 1sts aren't worth as much, but I was under the impression they'd be including some of their best players as well. It's the only way they'd be able to stay competitive in the bidding

Look at the rumored bears offers for Wilson. I'd imagine compensation would be comparable for Watson (pre this). Wasn't McCaffrey on the table, with the potential for another player go be added to that package?

Trading up to 2 could be expensive, especially since our QB situation isn't settled. But I think #3 would be open for business to basically anyone.

And If #3 is open for business, that means teams would have to trade up to #2 to guarantee their guy.

It's an interesting point about teams gambling on Watson though, but I can't see anyone dipping into that can of worms
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 01:58:07 AM by dcm1602 »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #686 on: March 20, 2021, 08:46:05 AM »
Man, this lawyer sounds so sketchy  Here is his quote about whether he is colluding with the Texans:

“I need to dispel some silly rumors,” Buzbee said. “Yes, I live on River Oaks Boulevard and I live near the McNair family. I don’t know the McNair family. I wouldn’t recognize Cal or Hal or whatever his name is if I saw him on the street. This case has nothing to do with the Texans. Has nothing to do with free agency, the timing, I don’t know anything about that silliness, and I frankly don’t care about it. The Texans are not a team that I follow.”

Really....?  You live next door the one of the most well-known people in a major US city and you are pretending not to know his first name or what he looks like?  Also, he says he doesn't follow the Texans, but didn't he commission a bunch of billboards begging the Texans to draft Manziel?

Also, he said he the Houston PD contacted him about the cases.  The Houston PD announced they had no contact with Buzbee.

I'm not saying anything about the validity of these womens' claims, but that the lawyer seems like a grade A bullshitter.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:49:03 AM by bojanglesman »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #687 on: March 20, 2021, 02:15:23 PM »
Man, this lawyer sounds so sketchy  Here is his quote about whether he is colluding with the Texans:

Really....?  You live next door the one of the most well-known people in a major US city and you are pretending not to know his first name or what he looks like?  Also, he says he doesn't follow the Texans, but didn't he commission a bunch of billboards begging the Texans to draft Manziel?

Also, he said he the Houston PD contacted him about the cases.  The Houston PD announced they had no contact with Buzbee.

I'm not saying anything about the validity of these womens' claims, but that the lawyer seems like a grade A bullshitter.

His statements about the McNairs and Texans are mind boggling especially with his history.

My original gut was he's some shady lawyer but the dudes worth almost 1 billion dollars. So I find it hard to imagine him not being extraordinarily good at his job as well as being highly reputable in his industry.

Honestly I have no freaking idea what to think about this case. There's so much weird excrement

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #688 on: March 20, 2021, 02:17:45 PM »
He's the Michael Avenatti of Houston.

Doesn't mean the women are right or wrong. But the lawyer is a sleaze regardless.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #689 on: March 20, 2021, 02:35:39 PM »
My original gut was he's some shady lawyer but the dudes worth almost 1 billion dollars. So I find it hard to imagine him not being extraordinarily good at his job as well as being highly reputable in his industry.

Dude what is with you and billionaires?  As soon as you find out someone's got three commas you start slobbin' their knob.

Tags: