Author Topic: The Saga of Deshaun Watson  (Read 67921 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: The Saga of Deshaun Watson
« Reply #435 on: February 25, 2021, 05:44:21 PM »
I can sort of understand not wanting to cave so other players don't get the same idea.  But there comes a point where you have to think of what the situation is now, not what it was.

They would only have to worry about that if they continue to be a complete POS of an organization?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #436 on: February 25, 2021, 06:18:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/1365029931055464461?s=20

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1365042560809467904

Tom Pelissero: The #Texans remain unwilling to discuss QB Deshaun Watson with other teams, some of whom have resorted to leaving voicemails with trade offers, per sources.

Watson spoke briefly to coach David Culley recently, but the two still haven’t met in person. Houston not budging.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #437 on: February 25, 2021, 08:14:33 PM »
Houston is just committing to paying too much to being a excrement team. I'm not opposed to this.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #438 on: February 25, 2021, 08:32:06 PM »
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "no one believes" Deshaun Watson will be traded.

That's via sources "knee deep" in the situation. Rapsheet appears to be referring to teams that might be interested in acquiring the elite young quarterback. Rapoport also reports the Texans do not view either the start of free agency or the draft as "any sort of deadline." Rapsheet believes the drama will last for a "very, very long time." That is consistent with the established facts, as each side continues to dig in, both out in the open and via leaks.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2021, 08:47:26 PM »

At some point it will end and Houston will cave. When that happens they are going to take a far inferior offer to what’s on the table right now because so many teams will have moved on
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #440 on: February 25, 2021, 08:50:00 PM »
At some point it will end and Houston will cave. When that happens they are going to take a far inferior offer to what’s on the table right now because so many teams will have moved on
It's not just that. If you do it before the draft, you can guarantee the #2 pick in the draft, for instance.

If they trade him in August, you can't guarantee that, and in fact, you're likely getting a late pick because you're getting the 1st-rd pick of the team with Deshaun Watson at QB.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2021, 08:54:23 PM »
The problem is that you're attempting to use logic and facts to predict what complete lunatics will do. Caserio will do what McNair tells him to, which is whatever Easterby has told McNair he should do.
So....

What Jesus tells Easterby?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #442 on: February 25, 2021, 09:18:44 PM »
So....

What Jesus tells Easterby?

If that is the case then we can definitively stop talking about Watson as a Jet, because I think we all know by now that if there is a god then he and his entire family have no interest in allowing anything good to happen to the Jets.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #443 on: February 25, 2021, 11:51:25 PM »
It's not just that. If you do it before the draft, you can guarantee the #2 pick in the draft, for instance.

If they trade him in August, you can't guarantee that, and in fact, you're likely getting a late pick because you're getting the 1st-rd pick of the team with Deshaun Watson at QB.

Gonna assume that I already know the answer to this

But why donr teams use conditional trades more to account for this (the uncertainty of future draft picks). I feel like when they're used it's usually by some hit-or-miss measure (ie a player is extended, or isn't crippled)

Ie we will give you next years 1st round pick, and if it's not in the top 20 we will also give you our 2nd round pick?

It seems like this is a very simply solution that would reduce uncertainty and risks of trades, especially ones where a significant portion of the value comes from an unknown future draft pick
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:05:12 AM by dcm1602 »

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #444 on: February 26, 2021, 07:15:58 AM »

Watson's side may have to be more aggressive with how they approach this than just "I demand a trade" for something to get done

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #445 on: February 26, 2021, 07:21:48 AM »
Watson's side may have to be more aggressive with how they approach this than just "I demand a trade" for something to get done

I think this will happen.   I expect some fireworks from the Watson camp when FA rolls around in the middle of March.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #446 on: February 26, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »
Gonna assume that I already know the answer to this

But why donr teams use conditional trades more to account for this (the uncertainty of future draft picks). I feel like when they're used it's usually by some hit-or-miss measure (ie a player is extended, or isn't crippled)

Ie we will give you next years 1st round pick, and if it's not in the top 20 we will also give you our 2nd round pick?

It seems like this is a very simply solution that would reduce uncertainty and risks of trades, especially ones where a significant portion of the value comes from an unknown future draft pick
Timeliness in the nfl are short and team growth/player development takes time.  Teams want immediate compensation

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #447 on: February 26, 2021, 12:53:16 PM »

he can start antonio brown-ing this if he wants to but i don't think he'd ever lower himself to doing that

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2021, 03:12:45 PM »
he can start antonio brown-ing this if he wants to but i don't think he'd ever lower himself to doing that
Bart Scott said he needs to show up and throw the ball out of bounds on slant routes and show them they will get nothing and have to pay him lol

He cited Brandon Marshall literally swatting down passes from Cutler in practice  to get out of DEN

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #449 on: February 26, 2021, 03:13:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1365399865409351686?s=20

Houston cut their center to save some money.  Great idea.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: