Author Topic: The Saga of Deshaun Watson  (Read 67856 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: The Saga of Deshaun Watson
« Reply #375 on: February 17, 2021, 09:22:21 AM »
Devil's advocate:
Why would the Houston Texans not sit Deshaun Watson and say the following: "Listen, we are the team that drafted you, we are the team that made you the fourth highest paid player in the league, and we have you under contract until after the 2025 season.  We're not trading you and your options are to make more money than anyone in the league save three or...boycott the team and make no money for the next four years."   

Why does a 25 year old kid get to act like he was abused because the team didn't seek his advice on who the new General Manager should be?

Seems like this conversation would be a few steps behind the point. I doubt the disappointed dad talk would be particularly effective
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #376 on: February 17, 2021, 09:41:41 AM »
What are the consequences to the Texans?  If he holds out, they have no decent QB and they can't just go out and sign a big name QB because Watson could always change his mind, show up, and blow up their cap. The only way it makes sense is if they are tanking on purpose.

If you are trying to be an NFL team, it's hard to sit on him just to stick to your guns.  It makes so much sense to sell to the highest bidder if there is 100% no chance of him signing back.

On the flip side the new GM can come in, use it as a rebuilding year (they're fucked anyway, are in cap hell, and have no first round draft) and completely just tank fixing all their cap problems and almost guaranteed at getting the 1st overall pick the following year.

The terribleness of the entirety can be blamed on the previous administration, and suddenly you have a team poised to make a fairly substantial turn around.

And its not like they can't easily just decide to trade him the following year.

Honestly if I were a Texans fan I think unless you get a mountain of gold for Watson, the preferred option would be to just let him stew and embrace the tank.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #377 on: February 17, 2021, 11:15:33 AM »
On the flip side the new GM can come in, use it as a rebuilding year (they're fucked anyway, are in cap hell, and have no first round draft) and completely just tank fixing all their cap problems and almost guaranteed at getting the 1st overall pick the following year.

The terribleness of the entirety can be blamed on the previous administration, and suddenly you have a team poised to make a fairly substantial turn around.

And its not like they can't easily just decide to trade him the following year.

Honestly if I were a Texans fan I think unless you get a mountain of gold for Watson, the preferred option would be to just let him stew and embrace the tank.

What are the consequences to the Texans?  If he holds out, they have no decent QB and they can't just go out and sign a big name QB because Watson could always change his mind, show up, and blow up their cap. The only way it makes sense is if they are tanking on purpose.

If you are trying to be an NFL team, it's hard to sit on him just to stick to your guns.  It makes so much sense to sell to the highest bidder if there is 100% no chance of him signing back.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #378 on: February 17, 2021, 11:16:34 AM »

On the flip side I should try reading post before commenting

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #379 on: February 17, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
On the flip side I should try reading post before commenting

Don't worry, I'm illiterate too.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #380 on: February 17, 2021, 11:26:36 AM »
Don't worry, I'm illiterate too.

I'd imagine that's the reason most of us are still come on here

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #381 on: February 17, 2021, 11:41:20 AM »
I'd imagine that's the reason most of us are still come on here

I don’t come on here I have Xvideos for that.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #382 on: February 17, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »
Seems like this conversation would be a few steps behind the point.

I doubt the disappointed dad talk would be particularly effective

This hardly addresses the post's ("devil's advocate") gist.   

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #383 on: February 17, 2021, 01:17:11 PM »

This hardly addresses the post's ("devil's advocate") gist.   

You had the team sitting down with him for a disappointed dad talk about gis contract and I said that any stance like that is going to fall on deaf ears and is far too late to be effective.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2021, 11:58:26 AM »
You had the team sitting down with him for a disappointed dad talk about gis contract and I said that any stance like that is going to fall on deaf ears and is far too late to be effective.

So "disappointed dad" (an arbitrary designaton) has no rights but should just throw up their hands and accede to the wishes of a player under contract because 'that ship has sailed'?  Houston should consider trying to fleece the Jets, Phins or whomever but they are under no obligation to do so.  Watson wants to act abused and bail on his team, that's his right.  Houston wants to let him sit (his call), that's their right.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #385 on: February 18, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »
So we agree that of they choose not to move him then they are at an impasse? Good.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2021, 12:40:32 PM »
So we agree that of they choose not to move him then they are at an impasse? Good.

Yup.  Good.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #387 on: February 19, 2021, 11:05:11 AM »
McClain on what the #Texans would want in return for DeShaun Watson: “They (#Texans) don’t want the 8th (DEN), 9th (CAR), or 12th (SF) pick. They don’t want Garoppolo, Bridgewater or Lock. They want the opportunity to pick the second best QB in the draft.”

oh
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #388 on: February 19, 2021, 11:14:54 AM »
oh

I feel like someone here said this. Multiple times
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about