Author Topic: The Saga of Deshaun Watson  (Read 67910 times)

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: The Saga of Deshaun Watson
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2021, 08:16:11 PM »
Defensively speaking the only guys that I can see that fit that description are

Quinnen Williams
John Franklin-Myers
Foley Fatukasi
Bryce Hall
Ashtyn Davis

Mosley.  Texans think they're getting an elite linebacker, CJ shows up looking like Fat Thor.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2021, 08:22:15 PM »
Mosley.  Texans think they're getting an elite linebacker, CJ shows up looking like Fat Thor.

I took young to mean “cheap” and Mosely is anything but cheap
Need a new one for a new board...

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2021, 08:26:39 PM »

I would be fine trading Mosely.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2021, 09:16:15 PM »
I mentioned it before but if they wanted us to take Watt's salary in addition to Watson, that should cut somethings OFF the price we have to pay to acquire Watson. We are giving them cap relief, and IMO that might be a worthwhile thing to do if we can retain some extra draft capital.

Watt has zero guaranteed money

They don't need to get thst contract off their hands, if they wanted thst they'd cut him

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2021, 08:45:39 PM »
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/deshaun-watson-willing-to-sit-out-2021-season

Hardballin that excrement

Much like with Houston saying they won’t trade him, it’s all posturing. The difference is I think everyone believes Watson and nobody believes Houston

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2021, 08:50:21 PM »
Much like with Houston saying they won’t trade him, it’s all posturing. The difference is I think everyone believes Watson and nobody believes Houston

I think it all depends on Jesus wants them to do. On one level this is a simple professional sports transaction, but on another it's a very real battle for Deshaun Watson's eternal soul. When you think of it like that, who are we to question that which is ordered from on high via His Emissary?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2021, 10:09:12 PM »
Trade the #2 pick to the 49ers for their #12, their 1st next year (and maybe a compensation 3rd round pick as well).  You're now sitting with five 1st round draft picks for 2021/2022.  You can call Houston with a flushed hand and who knows, maybe four 1st rounder does the trick.  If it would take all five 1st rounds picks to get Watson well that's for JD to decide.  One thing's for sure - no one (including Miami) is offering Houston six 1st round picks.  And, Quinnen, Mosely, Maye all stay.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2021, 10:28:47 PM »
Trade the #2 pick to the 49ers for their #12, their 1st next year (and maybe a compensation 3rd round pick as well).  You're now sitting with five 1st round draft picks for 2021/2022.  You can call Houston with a flushed hand and who knows, maybe four 1st rounder does the trick.  If it would take all five 1st rounds picks to get Watson well that's for JD to decide.  One thing's for sure - no one (including Miami) is offering Houston six 1st round picks.  And, Quinnen, Mosely, Maye all stay.
Why wouldn't Houston just take the #2 pick and make that exact same trade themselves if they wanted to trade down?

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2021, 06:45:04 AM »
Why wouldn't Houston just take the #2 pick and make that exact same trade themselves if they wanted to trade down?

I would agree. In terms of QB, the #2 is far more valuable than the extra pick from SF.

If we can’t land Watson and want to load up on picks and talent, then a trade down with SF is enticing because of what we could acquire to move back that far. And that offer you made wouldn’t be worth it to me to give up any QB, Chase, Sewell, Smith, Waddle, both CBs and Kwitty Paye.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #235 on: February 03, 2021, 09:26:47 AM »
My prediction:  We are underestimating Douglas' reluctance to part with draft picks.  I think Cimini is right.  We most certainly will be in the mix for Watson, but I think we won't get him. Not because we don't have the ammo, but because Douglas has a limit lower than we do.  I think he will go somewhere else and a lot of Jets fans will be pissed at Douglas when they see the compensation, and that we could have exceeded it. 

If we don't get Watson, I really don't think we draft a QB.  We stick with Darnold and let the final chapter of whether he's any good play out.  You never know.  I wouldn't bet on it, but he may have a revival under the right offense and we have a good problem of deciding whether to pay him in 2022 or not. 

Douglas will move heaven and earth to trade down from 2 and pile up the picks.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2021, 10:02:09 AM »
My prediction:  We are underestimating Douglas' reluctance to part with draft picks.  I think Cimini is right.  We most certainly will be in the mix for Watson, but I think we won't get him. Not because we don't have the ammo, but because Douglas has a limit lower than we do.  I think he will go somewhere else and a lot of Jets fans will be pissed at Douglas when they see the compensation, and that we could have exceeded it. 

If we don't get Watson, I really don't think we draft a QB.  We stick with Darnold and let the final chapter of whether he's any good play out.  You never know.  I wouldn't bet on it, but he may have a revival under the right offense and we have a good problem of deciding whether to pay him in 2022 or not. 

If we can't secure Watson, because Douglas is unwilling to part with enough draft picks, then I really hope you are right because this franchise is going to need elite talent in a lot of places if it's going to survive having above average at best QB play.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2021, 01:46:10 PM »

I don't know.  Douglas better be sure about his standing with ownership.  The optics of passing on Watson to keep Sam Darnold are not good.  I think you can get away with passing on Watson to draft a qb, but the papers are going to go bananas if we keep Sam and could have gotten Deshaun.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »

Fair point.  I was looking at it in terms of sheer numbers of 1st round picks JD would have in hand (5) to match Miami the presumed co-favorite in the Deshaun sweepstakes offering up 4 first-round picks (i.e. to raise it to '5' picks if needed).  Of course the point's moot if Houston's sticking to its guns and keeping Watson come hell or high water which then raises the question: is that #2 pick really worth that much more to Houston if they're not in love with any of the QBs?  Myself I'm not a fan of Fields and am leery of Wilson's wing already having had surgery. 

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

Tags: