Author Topic: The Saga of Deshaun Watson  (Read 67857 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: The Saga of Deshaun Watson
« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2021, 02:21:01 PM »
Tony Pauline says he's now hearing the Dolphins are the favorite.  He said the Jets were the favorite yesterday.

I can again confirm that Tony Pauline is a sourceless, moronic piece of excrement that livestreams from a creepy basement. 

The good news, is he's usually wrong. So by changing his prediction to the phish, it's actually more likely Watson is a Jet.
Need a new one for a new board...

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
Tony Pauline says he's now hearing the Dolphins are the favorite.  He said the Jets were the favorite yesterday.

I can again confirm that Tony Pauline is a sourceless, moronic piece of excrement that livestreams from a creepy basement. 

ahahaha....how does that guy stay relevant
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2021, 02:25:19 PM »
That already makes me feel better.

I have to think given the cap situation houston is in, picks matter more than players, since they can't build around top players on 2nd contracts already. To me that puts the Bears out of it. As for Carolina, I don't know what they have in the tank that makes me think they can outbid us. Burns, Linn and 7 sure doesn't sound as enticing as 2 + more 1s.

edit: the other thing I like about this, is the Dolphins aren't mentioned in the 'strong push' category.

Apart from the cap position, with Watson and Watt where they are I can't see how Houston do anything other than a complete tear down and rebuild. Even if they can afford to fit players in under the cap with those two gone, I doubt they'd want to.

I wonder if this puts Tunsil on the market again. If they're rebuilding over the next couple of years, his deal is going to be coming due again. They could get a ton more picks for an elite tackle just coming into his prime.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2021, 02:32:47 PM »
ahahaha....how does that guy stay relevant

People keep talking about him after he says stupid excrement instead of ignoring him when he says stupid excrement.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2021, 02:46:53 PM »
Remember, even if we don't get Watson, we still have two #1s.  Not a terrible consolation prize.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2021, 02:53:20 PM »
Remember, even if we don't get Watson, we still have two #1s.  Not a terrible consolation prize.

I'm not worried and i'm fine with not getting Watson either provided he doesn't end up with an AFC East rival.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2021, 03:14:08 PM »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:14 PM »
Another thing in our favor over the Dolphins.....the Texans would rather have our first round pick in 2022 because the Dolphins are likely to be better than us next year, leading to a worse pick in that draft.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2021, 07:52:41 PM »
Another thing in our favor over the Dolphins.....the Texans would rather have our first round pick in 2022 because the Dolphins are likely to be better than us next year, leading to a worse pick in that draft.
It is also less embarrassing to use Deshaun Watson to get back the pick you traded for Tunsil.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2021, 03:14:57 AM »
It is also less embarrassing to use Deshaun Watson to get back the pick you traded for Tunsil.

I think this is more of a consideration than the 2022 pick differences. One could argue Gase was our biggest reason for 2-14 and an average coach would have had us 4-12 or 5-11. One could argue our second biggest reason was QB play and if we had average QB play to go with average coaching we could have approached .500.

Watson and Saleh would hopefully change that and with the added pieces we should be in the playoff mix next year. Maybe we don’t get in but we should be right on the cusp. And that’s where Miami was last year, right there.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2021, 07:16:19 AM »
I think this is a degree of sunk cost fallacy. If the deal from Miami is the best one, not taking it because it was your pick originally would be madness. Particularly as it wasn't Caserio who sent it in the first place.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2021, 07:21:29 AM »
Watson is going to have to prove he will sit out before they trade him.  Their best option is to keep him and fix their cap situation somehow.  Maybe unload Watt and rework a few contracts to get a decent WR.  Eat excrement this year with regard to draft picks and start fresh in 2022. 

Watson won't go for that though and he will most certainly sit out.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2021, 07:23:59 AM »
Watson is going to have to prove he will sit out before they trade him.  Their best option is to keep him and fix their cap situation somehow.  Maybe unload Watt and rework a few contracts to get a decent WR.  Eat excrement this year with regard to draft picks and start fresh in 2022. 

Watson won't go for that though and he will most certainly sit out.

Oddly enough the situation gets better for us if this goes beyond the draft, assuming we don’t go QB with #2.

We are currently the only team with multiple 1s for next year and we are in the best position to facilitate a draft day trade to acquire another one next year.  Which would allow us to build our team right now and then acquire Watson in July when he’s made it clear to Houston he isn’t coming no matter what they do or what they threaten him with.

Obviously I hope we acquire him today, just so we can celebrate it and not worry about it, but if it does drag on we are one of the only teams to be able to make a deal later.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2021, 07:32:10 AM »
Oddly enough the situation gets better for us if this goes beyond the draft, assuming we don’t go QB with #2.

We are currently the only team with multiple 1s for next year and we are in the best position to facilitate a draft day trade to acquire another one next year.  Which would allow us to build our team right now and then acquire Watson in July when he’s made it clear to Houston he isn’t coming no matter what they do or what they threaten him with.

Obviously I hope we acquire him today, just so we can celebrate it and not worry about it, but if it does drag on we are one of the only teams to be able to make a deal later.
They can't go beyond the draft unless they aren't bluffing and plan on keeping him.  They need draft picks this year more than next year. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2021, 08:10:54 AM »
They can't go beyond the draft unless they aren't bluffing and plan on keeping him.  They need draft picks this year more than next year. 

If they are smart, they cannot go beyond the draft.

My thought was simply what if they tried to call Watson's bluff, and he isn't actually bluffing and they realize they are squarely fucked and then decide to pull the trigger on the best offer they can get, which would clearly be less than what they could get before the draft.

Tags: