Author Topic: The Saga of Deshaun Watson  (Read 67872 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: The Saga of Deshaun Watson
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2021, 11:10:43 AM »
JJ Watt is likely going to leave.....i'm sure Hou will ask for Quinnen.  And as much as i love him as a player, i'll drive his derriere to the airport for Watson.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2021, 11:10:51 AM »
Miami is the one team out there that is worrisome, and them being a division rival gives the Texans some leverage.

We can't let Miami get him.  If they get him, we're screwed for a while.  We won't be able to catch Buffalo and Miami for several seasons...no matter how good Zach Wilson might be.

Watson jumpstarts a broken down franchise. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2021, 11:21:59 AM »
I'm not sure why Houston needs to jump on this today.  Why would compensation drop as time goes on?  As long as they don't wait until too close to the draft, the offers should go up as teams bid against each other.  I just don't see any advantage for them to do this ASAP.  I don't think they've given up on the idea of calling his bluff about holding out.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2021, 11:25:19 AM »
I'm not sure why Houston needs to jump on this today.  Why would compensation drop as time goes on?  As long as they don't wait until too close to the draft, the offers should go up as teams bid against each other.  I just don't see any advantage for them to do this ASAP.  I don't think they've given up on the idea of calling his bluff about holding out.

They have until Free Agency as far as I'm concerned to hammer out the best deal for them. Once that happens, teams will start committing to cap space and building their rosters for next year. Including Houston.

They don't have any reason to rush right now. It's not like if the 49ers offer Bosa, Kinlaw, Jimmy G and the next 3 1's that offer is going anywhere before FA starts. Sure it's not going to go on until August, but it's not going to be done by tonight either, unless someone comes in and hits Houston over the head so hard they'd have to be insane not to say yes.
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2021, 11:29:12 AM »
I think Stafford will be traded first and then the Watson trade talks will really heat up

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2021, 11:29:52 AM »
It depends on what Houston wants.  The #2 pick is the most valuable asset they can acquire in terms of draft capital, but someone like Miami (or Carolina) can offer solid draft capital and better players in a deal.

All we really have is Quinnen Williams.

They also have the appeal to Watson of being further ahead in their rebuild, plus he's going from a zero income tax state to another one.

I don't see a bidding war because if Watson waives his NTC for a bunch of teams and creates one, it inevitably weakens the team he's going to. I think he waives for one or two teams and that's all.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2021, 11:32:38 AM »
honestly, i'm pretty much all in on watson. if we trade them whatever and get watson and robinson out of it, how are we losing? these are not dudes who you can draft every year, these are proven superstars.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2021, 11:33:31 AM »
We can't let Miami get him.  If they get him, we're screwed for a while.  We won't be able to catch Buffalo and Miami for several seasons...no matter how good Zach Wilson might be.

Watson jumpstarts a broken down franchise. 
If Zach Wilson is a star, we might be in better long-term shape not trading for Watson than we are trading for Watson. We have the draft picks and cap space to build a very solid foundation for a roster, while the Dolphins and Bills will be paying their quarterbacks a ton of money. Obviously, having both those guys in the division for the foreseeable future would be a disaster, but if Zach Wilson turns into a star in his own right, then we could be just as formidable. Not to mention, both Watson and Allen have had injuries in the past, and both play a style where they could get injured again.

Of course, the risk is that Zach Wilson does not become a star, and that risk is exactly why I would pull the trigger for Watson in a heartbeat. If you told me right now that Zach Wilson is guaranteed to become a top-10 quarterback in the NFL, they might be better off long-term not making the trade. But you can never know that.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2021, 11:33:47 AM »
I can't imagine the only way to make a deal involves Q.

I think it's far more likely that it would involve Q than us giving up 5 1st round picks

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2021, 11:35:40 AM »
They also have the appeal to Watson of being further ahead in their rebuild, plus he's going from a zero income tax state to another one.

I don't see a bidding war because if Watson waives his NTC for a bunch of teams and creates one, it inevitably weakens the team he's going to. I think he waives for one or two teams and that's all.
It seems like Watson loves Robert Saleh. No idea what his opinion on Brian Flores is, but Saleh seems like a big selling point with the Jets.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2021, 11:36:10 AM »
plus he's going from a zero income tax state to another one.

This is overblown

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2021, 11:37:35 AM »
This is overblown

Especially since remember all he freaking Eli Manning commercials for the last 10 years?

If that jerkoff can get that much advertising, Watson would make a killing up here. Plenty enoguh to compensate for the state tax

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2021, 11:40:43 AM »
Hard to ignore all the Super Bowls the 3 Florida teams have won this century due to no income tax.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2021, 11:43:48 AM »
This is overblown

tons of athletes make the choice to play all over the country because this is overblown.

If this was a big thing, every FA in the universe would only want to play in those states. Sure it's a nice bonus, but it isn't a primary reason for choosing a destination. Maybe it's a tie breaker, but more likely it's just a thing people think matters a lot more than it does.
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2021, 11:44:39 AM »
This is overblown

It's about $3M a year for him. If whoever's tweet it was is correct, that he doesn't care about the money, then I agree that it's not really a factor. But it's there.

To a lesser extent this works in reverse as well. Change "Miami" for "the Jets" and "Zach Wilson" for "Tua".

I really hope it doesn't come to a bidding war between us and them, and that he just chooses one team and says "make a deal".
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: