Author Topic: The Saga of Deshaun Watson  (Read 67878 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: The Saga of Deshaun Watson
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »
I'm fine giving up three 1st-round picks. Hell, I would give up all four 1st-round picks in the next two seasons if that was really what it took.

But if we offer #2, #23, and our 1st-round pick next season, which I would do in a second, who is topping that? How are they topping that? The #2 pick alone is worth a couple 1st-round picks by itself. The #23 pick this year is worth more than any 1st-round pick in 2022.

If you're the Texans, would you rather have the #2 and #23 this year, or a team's 1st-round pick in each of the next 4 seasons? I'd rather have 2 and 23. And we would likely be offering at least one more premium pick on top of that.

Everyone on this board is on the same page of getting Deshaun Watson. I'm willing to give up four 1st-round picks if we have to. But it's Joe Douglas' job to utilize his leverage, and the Jets do have leverage in terms of our draft capital.

Bingo
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »
Washington gave up three firsts and a second to move up for RG3. 

So you're saying the #2 pick could be worth three firsts and a second in the right context?

Obviously, Zach Wilson/Fields aren't the same prospect RG3 was, so maybe dock a 1st-round pick but this shows how valuable the #2 pick can be in a QB draft, and this appears to be a quality QB draft.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2021, 11:01:08 AM »
I can't imagine Saleh being on board with trading Q.

As badly as he would want a top flight DL. Any HC that wouldn't trade a top DL for a top QB is crazy.

But if you asked me which deal Saleh would prefer, 3 1s and Q vs. 4 1s for Watson, I'm not sure what he would pick
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2021, 11:02:01 AM »
So you're saying the #2 pick could be worth three firsts and a second in the right context?

I'm saying that it's not "lunacy" to trade a boatload of picks for a proven player like Deshaun Watson when teams are giving up that much for a prospect. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2021, 11:02:09 AM »
As badly as he would want a top flight DL. Any HC that wouldn't trade a top DL for a top QB is crazy.

But if you asked me which deal Saleh would prefer, 3 1s and Q vs. 4 1s for Watson, I'm not sure what he would pick

I can't imagine the only way to make a deal involves Q.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2021, 11:02:18 AM »
I think we can all agree you start with an offer that is a low as possible without being insulting.  Then work up just high enough to get it done without bidding against yourself.  I think our ace in the hole is having the spot that guarantees the 2nd best QB.  That is a lot more valuable than #3 overall when you need a QB. 

There are some things that can go sideways.  The Texans may decide to trade separately for a QB, making the difference between #2 and #3 overall less valuable to them. 

This is also correct...and my original point.  I don't think Douglas should offer the farm right away.  If he doesn't start off haggling a bit, he's not doing his job.

If the price ends up being 4 first rounders, so be it.  Just don't make that the starting point. 
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2021, 11:03:12 AM »
I'm saying that it's not "lunacy" to trade a boatload of picks for a proven player like Deshaun Watson when teams are giving up that much for a prospect. 

Keep in mind, Washington is one of the dumber franchises out there.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »
But if we offer #2, #23, and our 1st-round pick next season, which I would do in a second, who is topping that? How are they topping that?

Miami can offer better player to go with similar picks. 

The only way they can outbid us is if they throw in Xavien Howard/Tua/Jerome Baker. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2021, 11:04:24 AM »
Keep in mind, Washington is one of the dumber franchises out there.

They weren't bidding against themselves that year though.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2021, 11:05:25 AM »
What advantage does ANY team have over us in what they could offer?  The only 2 things I could see are multiple elite players thrown in the deal or if Watson declines coming to the Jets.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2021, 11:05:39 AM »
This is also correct...and my original point.  I don't think Douglas should offer the farm right away.  If he doesn't start off haggling a bit, he's not doing his job.

If the price ends up being 4 first rounders, so be it.  Just don't make that the starting point. 

Honestly all we are arguing about is what's the most we would pay for Watson. We all want him, and we all would happily give up a freak ton for him.

The good news / bad news of this is that with over 1/2 the league making calls it's going to take some time. That means we can start 'small' and raise our bid over time, we don't have to be too aggressive out of the gate.

But that also means it's going to go on for awhile and I can almost guarantee that no matter what the ending trade compensation is (especially if it's not the Jets being the final partner) we will all go "freak I would have paid that for Watson"

I really really hope that JD is willing to throw the 'rule book' out the window if push comes to shove and finds a way to land this guy in the end. A real franchise QB, the likes none of us have ever seen wearing Green and White is worth the risk and it's worth over paying. It's not worth quibbling over small pieces and parts for. Do what needs to be done to secure the best player that has ever been traded in the history of the sport.
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2021, 11:07:23 AM »
What advantage does ANY team have over us in what they could offer?  The only 2 things I could see are multiple elite players thrown in the deal or if Watson declines coming to the Jets.

It depends on what Houston wants.  The #2 pick is the most valuable asset they can acquire in terms of draft capital, but someone like Miami (or Carolina) can offer solid draft capital and better players in a deal.

All we really have is Quinnen Williams.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2021, 11:07:28 AM »
Miami can offer better player to go with similar picks. 

The only way they can outbid us is if they throw in Xavien Howard/Tua/Jerome Baker. 
Miami is the one team out there that is worrisome, and them being a division rival gives the Texans some leverage.

The one caveat to my argument about the Jets having the most draft capital by far is if teams want to throw in top young talent, like a Quinnen Williams.

Plus, if the Texans are very high on Tua, that also could change things and give the Dolphins a better chance. At the same time, they also could like Darnold.

I do think the Dolphins believe in Tua, so they might not be as motivated to give up the same assets the Jets could give up.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
Honestly all we are arguing about is what's the most we would pay for Watson. We all want him, and we all would happily give up a freak ton for him.

The good news / bad news of this is that with over 1/2 the league making calls it's going to take some time. That means we can start 'small' and raise our bid over time, we don't have to be too aggressive out of the gate.

But that also means it's going to go on for awhile and I can almost guarantee that no matter what the ending trade compensation is (especially if it's not the Jets being the final partner) we will all go "freak I would have paid that for Watson"

I really really hope that JD is willing to throw the 'rule book' out the window if push comes to shove and finds a way to land this guy in the end. A real franchise QB, the likes none of us have ever seen wearing Green and White is worth the risk and it's worth over paying. It's not worth quibbling over small pieces and parts for.

1. Houston won't let this linger on.  The longer it goes, the less of a return they will get.

2. I expect JD will make a reasonable offer.  He's not going to call them up and offer 4 first rounders as soon as Caserio answers.

3. If the Jets are Watson's top choice, JD has some leverage here.  And i would expect him to use it.

Just don't let him go to Miami.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2021, 11:09:58 AM »
Houston won't let this linger on.  The longer it goes, the less of a return they will get.

We don't know this yet.  Houston is pretty damn stupid.

Tags: