Author Topic: The Saga of Deshaun Watson  (Read 67727 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: The Saga of Deshaun Watson
« Reply #1050 on: June 09, 2022, 03:23:50 PM »
To be clear, I'm not arguing that the NFL shouldn't punish him now, I'm saying the Browns don't need to do anything before the NFL does.  People are shitting on the Browns for not doing anything yet as well as the NFL.

As JE said. People are shitting all over the Browns because they went all in on completely building their franchise around him.

They made one of the most expensive trades and gave one of the biggest contracts in the history of the league to the man, openly knowing everything about this case.

Hell to make matters freaking worse they had a fair decent maybe even pretty good young QB on a rookie contract at the time.

If the Browns had like Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick I could completely understand making the move for Watson as it would be pure desperation.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1051 on: June 09, 2022, 03:27:01 PM »
As JE said. People are shitting all over the Browns because they went all in on completely building their franchise around him.

They made one of the most expensive trades and gave one of the biggest contracts in the history of the league to the man, openly knowing everything about this case.

Hell to make matters freaking worse they had a fair decent maybe even pretty good young QB on a rookie contract at the time.

If the Browns had like Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick I could completely understand making the move for Watson as it would be pure desperation.

Also true.  Browns had a bad case of FOMO at the time when there were several other teams hot to trot to sign him.  They weren't the only team ready to go all in on him (no pun intended).  I just don't think the Browns should be doing anything with Watson until the NFL discipline comes down.  Of course it was a bad idea.  I figured they knew something about the way the case was headed, but I guess not.  They obviously prepared for him to get suspended with the way that contract is laid out, so they were clearly fine with the compensation they gave up even with a suspension.  The question is whether he gets more than a year.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1052 on: June 09, 2022, 03:32:13 PM »
Also true.  Browns had a bad case of FOMO at the time when there were several other teams hot to trot to sign him.  They weren't the only team ready to go all in on him (no pun intended).  I just don't think the Browns should be doing anything with Watson until the NFL discipline comes down.  Of course it was a bad idea.  I figured they knew something about the way the case was headed, but I guess not.  They obviously prepared for him to get suspended with the way that contract is laid out, so they were clearly fine with the compensation they gave up even with a suspension.  The question is whether he gets more than a year.

The Browns doing anything doesn't make any sense.

He didn't do anything while he was on their team, and they openly accepted everything he did when they traded for him.

The Browns have already shown they don't care, so at this point they're just going to keep their freaking mouth shut and let the NFL do its job.

You have to think the NFLs mind has to be on the post ray Rice aftermath, and how society has become quite a bit more invested in these kinds of things since then

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #1054 on: June 15, 2022, 12:37:41 AM »
DeShaun Cosby. This is reaching a point of total ridiculousness.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1055 on: June 17, 2022, 08:34:15 AM »
Why would you say this?

https://twitter.com/sportsboytony/status/1537475661123796992

I realise they're probably friends from his time in Houston but it doesn't seem like very smart PR.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1056 on: June 17, 2022, 02:34:40 PM »
Why would you say this?

https://twitter.com/sportsboytony/status/1537475661123796992

I realise they're probably friends from his time in Houston but it doesn't seem like very smart PR.
Clearly they're friends and he wants to support his friend. Can't imagine many people are willing to support Watson in public like that, for obvious reasons.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1057 on: June 17, 2022, 05:47:49 PM »
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/06/17/deshaun-watson-case-nfl-to-seek-significant-suspension-full-season-report

A source close to the Watson’s side said that the NFL “probably” will go with a one-season suspension, per The Post. However, a different source close to the NFL’s side of the case said to be “careful” about a specific suspension length, but that the punishment will be “significant.”

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1058 on: June 20, 2022, 09:11:15 AM »
Needs to be more than a year because he’ll appeal and get it reduced
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1059 on: June 20, 2022, 09:11:45 AM »
Calvin Ridley got a year for placing a couple bets on FanDuel for fucks sake

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1060 on: June 20, 2022, 09:24:06 AM »
Plus the Browns deliberately structured his contract so that it costs him virtually nothing to miss this year. That's such a cynical move that it deserves to be accounted for in the decision.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1061 on: June 20, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »
Plus the Browns deliberately structured his contract so that it costs him virtually nothing to miss this year. That's such a cynical move that it deserves to be accounted for in the decision.

Totally agree. What concerns me is that the NFL is making the call and all they care about is revenue and not having their image tarnished.

I give a lot of credit to the MLB for doing the right thing with Bauer despite whatever they think the optics could have looked like.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1062 on: June 20, 2022, 09:50:18 AM »
Totally agree. What concerns me is that the NFL is making the call and all they care about is revenue and not having their image tarnished.

I give a lot of credit to the MLB for doing the right thing with Bauer despite whatever they think the optics could have looked like.

I obviously don't follow baseball anything like as closely as you do, but I get the impression that the MLBPA isn't anything like as powerful and dogged as the NFLPA. The PA have already made it clear that they're going to dig in and fight this one hard, they already made it clear that they're going to use the NFL's failure to punish Snyder, Jones and Kraft as precedent.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1063 on: June 21, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »
I obviously don't follow baseball anything like as closely as you do, but I get the impression that the MLBPA isn't anything like as powerful and dogged as the NFLPA. The PA have already made it clear that they're going to dig in and fight this one hard, they already made it clear that they're going to use the NFL's failure to punish Snyder, Jones and Kraft as precedent.
Have to imagine the MLBPA is more powerful considering the greater concessions they've won from their league compared to the NFL.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1064 on: June 21, 2022, 11:23:36 AM »
Schefter:
Attorney Tony Buzbee announced in a statement that all but four of the civil lawsuits against Browns’ QB Deshaun Watson have been settled. He did not disclose the details of the settlement.

Tags: