Author Topic: NYJ Free Agency 2021  (Read 50153 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: NYJ Free Agency 2021
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »

Huff will stick around, he plays a lot of special teams and has shown flashes on D. Heismanberg is a fan of Luvu, he's young and he's hard working and he seems to be improving so I can see him staying as well. Not sure there's a place for Basham or Cashman.

Basham played well.  Cashman hasn't stayed unbroken long enough to put on a jock strap.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »
We need some actual LBs now that we’re converting to 4-3

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 12:08:36 PM »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2021, 12:09:12 PM »
Won’t Basham and Huff be DE’s in this system? I could see Huff playing LB but he would need to be rushing the passer a lot.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2021, 12:26:21 PM »
Huff will stick around, he plays a lot of special teams and has shown flashes on D. Heismanberg is a fan of Luvu, he's young and he's hard working and he seems to be improving so I can see him staying as well. Not sure there's a place for Basham or Cashman.

its Langi SZN

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2021, 12:30:31 PM »
In so excited to be switching back to a 4-3.  The 3-4 doesnt work as well against the new era of the nfl

Rosetta Stoned

• Laveranues Coles
  • Holy freaking excrement
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2021, 01:55:23 PM »
In so excited to be switching back to a 4-3.  The 3-4 doesnt work as well against the new era of the nfl

What does this even mean? It's not like in today's league teams spend that much time in a base defense, be it 3-4 or 4-3 for that matter.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »
I feel like moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 will really give Blake Cashman time to shine in practice before he suffers a season ending injury two snaps into the season opener.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2021, 02:09:17 PM »

I feel like moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 will really give Blake Cashman time to shine in practice before he suffers a season ending injury in the locker room before the game.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2021, 02:10:15 PM »

I agree, I was being far too generous.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2021, 02:43:10 PM »
What does this even mean? It's not like in today's league teams spend that much time in a base defense, be it 3-4 or 4-3 for that matter.
True, but the ideal lb in each system is drastically different.  This will allow us to get more athletic linebackers on the field that actually have a chance to cover rbs and tes

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2021, 03:00:58 PM »

I'll throw a theory out from an offensive line perspective.

So the 3-4 was really popular in the 1970's, early 80's, back when linemen were just a bunch of interchangeable fat dudes all doing basically the same job.  Then when the NFL started more heavily emphasizing the passing game in the late 80's, early 90's, the pass rush became the priority and teams started implementing the 4-3 more often.  The fastest and least cluttered route to the quarterback is and always has been off the edge, so it makes sense to have down linemen whose primary role is to beat the most isolated of the interchangeable fat dudes, the tackles (especially the blindside tackle). 

But the game continued to evolve and NFL offenses put more emphasis on finding and developing superfreak left tackles to pair with their four interchangeable fat dudes to negate that edge rush.  That paved the way for the 3-4's resurgence, because why keep rushing the blindside, against the best athlete on the offensive line, when there are four perfectly good scrubs you could beat with an ever-changing combination of rushing linebackers? 

That lead to the emergence of these superior athletes at the guard position in the 2000's: your Hutchinson's, your Faneca's, your Shields', etc.  Quality interior linemen started getting big money, almost left tackle money.  One superfreak and four fat kids just doesn't cut it anymore, and that's a point about which I've been slamming the table for years.  You need high quality athletes at every position on the offensive line and most NFL teams have come around to that philosophy. 

So, what's the modern NFL defense to do now that there aren't four fat kids to abuse anymore?  Well you could pick on the one, dumb fat kid that every offensive line has, but most coordinators design schemes to minimize that liability.  The next evolution becomes the first evolution: the fastest and least cluttered route to the quarterback is off the edge, so it makes sense to move back toward down defensive ends whose primary role is to rush the quarterback. 

This is an extremely oversimplified view, and there's much more that can be said about coverage schemes and why you can't afford to have a Bart Scott or an Eric Barton or some other bruiser (someone who can take on a guard 10-15 times a game) regularly dropping into coverage or chasing down bubble screens anymore.  (That's why we invested a high draft pick on a guy like Darron Lee who has no business whatsoever playing inside linebacker in a classic 3-4 front).  And ultimately, Stoned is right: every team's base defense nowadays is some form of nickel.  But I love seeing how the big dudes in the trenches can steer the evolution of the game.

Frankly, I'm just excited for the change of pace. 

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2021, 04:53:46 PM »
I'll throw a theory out from an offensive line perspective.

So the 3-4 was really popular in the 1970's, early 80's, back when linemen were just a bunch of interchangeable fat dudes all doing basically the same job.  Then when the NFL started more heavily emphasizing the passing game in the late 80's, early 90's, the pass rush became the priority and teams started implementing the 4-3 more often.  The fastest and least cluttered route to the quarterback is and always has been off the edge, so it makes sense to have down linemen whose primary role is to beat the most isolated of the interchangeable fat dudes, the tackles (especially the blindside tackle). 

But the game continued to evolve and NFL offenses put more emphasis on finding and developing superfreak left tackles to pair with their four interchangeable fat dudes to negate that edge rush.  That paved the way for the 3-4's resurgence, because why keep rushing the blindside, against the best athlete on the offensive line, when there are four perfectly good scrubs you could beat with an ever-changing combination of rushing linebackers? 

That lead to the emergence of these superior athletes at the guard position in the 2000's: your Hutchinson's, your Faneca's, your Shields', etc.  Quality interior linemen started getting big money, almost left tackle money.  One superfreak and four fat kids just doesn't cut it anymore, and that's a point about which I've been slamming the table for years.  You need high quality athletes at every position on the offensive line and most NFL teams have come around to that philosophy. 

So, what's the modern NFL defense to do now that there aren't four fat kids to abuse anymore?  Well you could pick on the one, dumb fat kid that every offensive line has, but most coordinators design schemes to minimize that liability.  The next evolution becomes the first evolution: the fastest and least cluttered route to the quarterback is off the edge, so it makes sense to move back toward down defensive ends whose primary role is to rush the quarterback. 

This is an extremely oversimplified view, and there's much more that can be said about coverage schemes and why you can't afford to have a Bart Scott or an Eric Barton or some other bruiser (someone who can take on a guard 10-15 times a game) regularly dropping into coverage or chasing down bubble screens anymore.  (That's why we invested a high draft pick on a guy like Darron Lee who has no business whatsoever playing inside linebacker in a classic 3-4 front).  And ultimately, Stoned is right: every team's base defense nowadays is some form of nickel.  But I love seeing how the big dudes in the trenches can steer the evolution of the game.

Frankly, I'm just excited for the change of pace.
Good read

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2021, 05:35:35 PM »
It’ll be interesting to see how our roster falls out under Saleh’s scheme.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »
It’ll be interesting to see how our roster falls out under Saleh’s scheme.
Step 1: Extend Ficken
Step 2: Super Bowl.

Tags: