Author Topic: Bob Salad’s Defense  (Read 7168 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Bob Salad’s Defense
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 11:09:07 AM »
No more Austin with the Kyle Wilson finger wag in between giving up stupid penalties will be an upgrade.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 05:48:00 PM »
“Robert Saleh says the Jets will be a 4-3 defense.

There will be some 3-4 principals, but it’s majority of a 4-3 front.”
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 07:54:19 PM »
How involved will he be in the defense?

Is our DC going to be a true DC, or are we looking at a scenario similar to Gase/Rex/Bowles where Saleh is acting as a defacto playcaller on one side of the ball?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 08:06:18 PM »
How involved will he be in the defense?

Is our DC going to be a true DC, or are we looking at a scenario similar to Gase/Rex/Bowles where Saleh is acting as a defacto playcaller on one side of the ball?
Salad said the DC would call the defense.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 08:15:56 PM »
Salad said the DC would call the defense.

Now that is fantastic

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 09:58:17 AM »
Ngl I’m worried about the depth at CB and LB.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 10:01:47 AM »
Ngl I’m worried about the depth at CB and LB.

I trust Bob Salad and his defense until he gives me a reason not to.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 10:40:37 AM »
I'm fine with LB until we have to rely on Blake Cashman staying healthy.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2021, 10:30:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/pff_mike/status/1435315560879886345?s=21

Douglas and Saleh are either going to look like genius' in a few months... or we're going to give up a record breaking total in passing yards.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 07:56:07 PM »
Bryce Hall, Michael Carter II, and Brandon Echols are all ranked within the top 35 CBs by PFF, 93 qualifiers.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 07:58:14 PM »

Panthers quarterback Sam Darnold threw 15 passes in which a Jets cornerback was the primary defender, according to Pro Football Focus. Nine of those were completed for a measly 77 yards (5.1 per target), four first downs (29% of passes), and zero touchdowns.

The average of 5.1 yards per target allowed by New York’s cornerback unit was the third-best mark of any cornerback unit in the NFL in Week 1, trailing only the 49ers (5.0) and Eagles (4.4).

Here are the coverage numbers of the four Jets cornerbacks to play against the Panthers:

Bryce Hall (LCB): 37 coverage snaps, 1/2 passing for 9 yards and 1 first down
Brandin Echols (RCB): 29 coverage snaps, 3/5 passing for 26 yards and 1 first down
Michael Carter II (SCB): 20 coverage snaps, 3/5 passing for 17 yards and 1 first down
Javelin Guidry: (RCB): 12 coverage snaps, 2/3 passing for 25 yards and 1 first down
The starting trio of Hall (outside left), Echols (outside right), and Carter II (slot) was excellent. They combined to allow 7-of-12 passing for 52 yards (4.3 per target) and three first downs (25% rate).

Guidry struggled a bit as the Jets’ fourth corner, handling a new role as he played right cornerback instead of the slot role he manned in 2020 and throughout the 2021 offseason. Over a limited number of snaps, he let up a 27-yard first down to D.J. Moore and should have given up another big first down but lucked out as Moore dropped an easy catch over the middle.

Hall held the fort down tremendously as the Jets’ left cornerback and No. 1 player at the position.

Playing a team-high 37 snaps in coverage and staying on the field for all 64 defensive snaps (with all 64 coming on the left side of the defense), Hall allowed a nine-yard first down to Christian McCaffrey in the first quarter and never gave up another the catch over the rest of the game. His average of 0.24 yards allowed per cover snap ranked seventh-best among the 64 cornerbacks to play at least 30 snaps in coverage.

Echols was the Jets’ right cornerback and No. 2 player on the depth chart, playing 46 defensive snaps (72% of the snaps). All of his snaps came on the right side of the defense. He gave up a 13-yard first down to D.J. Moore on a back-shoulder throw in the first quarter and never yielded another chain-mover in the game over four ensuing targets.

Carter II was challenged often in the slot. When lined up in the slot, he saw a target once every 3.8 snaps in coverage, which ranked as the fourth-most-frequent rate among 38 qualified slot defenders in Week 1.

But the rookie made Carolina pay for testing him. He allowed a passer rating of 66.3 across five targets in his direction, ranking sixth-best among slot defenders.

The greatest aspect of the unit’s performance is how fundamentally sound it was. The four cornerbacks combined for zero penalties and zero missed tackles. They were one of only five cornerback units to accomplish that in Week 1.

In addition, the Jets’ cornerback unit was one of only two to combine for zero touchdowns allowed, zero penalties, and zero missed tackles. The other features the most expensive cornerback duo in the NFL – the Miami Dolphins’ unit headlined by Xavien Howard and Byron Jones.

Nania

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2021, 08:10:57 PM »
So the secondary was good and the offensive line was bad, like we were all expecting.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2021, 08:18:35 PM »
That sounds great, but the opposing QB was Sam Darnold.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2021, 10:47:43 AM »
Jets Defensive Rankings

Total: 10
Run: 14
Pass: 10
Scoring: 14