Author Topic: OC Mike LaFired  (Read 51696 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: OC Mike LaFired
« Reply #1245 on: January 11, 2023, 05:30:48 PM »
Just to reiterate for some....MLF was NOT doing a good job here.

Thanks
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1246 on: January 11, 2023, 05:30:49 PM »
I'm fine with letting him save face. Makes the Jets a more attractive place to work vs trashing him on his way out. Keep it classy even if it's BS.

Yes agreed. Also it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he's had a couple of calls saying "Matt, if you end up not staying with the Jets give me a call". It doesn't mean that teams are trying to trade for him to become their OC.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1247 on: January 11, 2023, 05:32:16 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this, mostly because I'm skeptical of our ability to bring in an upgrade.
Firing LaFleur is fine. Offense wasn't good under his watch. But I'm pretty confident many of the people who have been begging for MLF to get fired will just want the new OC fired by December.

The thing I don't really like about it is that it's almost certainly a Woody decision.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #1248 on: January 11, 2023, 05:33:13 PM »
He'll end up as a quality control intern somewhere. 
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1249 on: January 11, 2023, 05:34:36 PM »
I can easily see him going to a college team. His connections will be awesome for recruiting.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #1250 on: January 11, 2023, 05:35:55 PM »
Firing LaFleur is fine. Offense wasn't good under his watch. But I'm pretty confident many of the people who have been begging for MLF to get fired will just want the new OC fired by December.

The thing I don't really like about it is that it's almost certainly a Woody decision.

It's literally the best decision that had to be made.  MLF had 2 years here, and royally fucked everything up.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1251 on: January 11, 2023, 05:39:30 PM »

Yeah, I had long been skeptical that Saleh would be willing to fire one of his "guys" (especially his best friend's little brother). If he made this decision on his own, great (that shows objectivity and an ability to overcome nepotism I wasn't sure he had). If Woody forced this on him, that does not bode well for the future.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1252 on: January 11, 2023, 05:41:07 PM »
I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Maybe not as an OC or playcaller, but at least QB oach*, WR coach, passing game coordinator, etc.
Some team will snap him up sooner rather than later, i think.

*eta, actually maybe not

He will at least get a job at a higher level than Towel Logins

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #1253 on: January 11, 2023, 05:41:35 PM »
I mean more as an OC gig. He'll definitely get another job.

Based on the reporting, it seems like LaFleur wants a fresh start, too, rather than go into 2023 on a hot seat.
https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1613314683481559043

Connor Hughes has been telling everyone under the sun that MLF was coming back...he's trying to save face.  The guy is white Manish.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1254 on: January 11, 2023, 05:42:23 PM »
Yeah, I had long been skeptical that Saleh would be willing to fire one of his "guys" (especially his best friend's little brother). If he made this decision on his own, great (that shows objectivity and an ability to overcome nepotism I wasn't sure he had). If Woody forced this on him, that does not bode well for the future.

I would bet good money the order to fire came from the top. I agree that it does not bode well for the future. But we lost 6 straight to end the season with an awful offense so something had to give

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1255 on: January 11, 2023, 05:43:09 PM »

There is a third option, which is that Joe made his feelings known to Saleh, and a fourth one, which is that LaFleur didn't want to stick around knowing that his boss was protecting him while the guy who signs all their paychecks wanted him gone. There are a bunch of permutations, the truth of which we will likely never know.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1256 on: January 11, 2023, 05:43:50 PM »
Connor Hughes has been telling everyone under the sun that MLF was coming back...he's trying to save face.  The guy is white Manish.
Everyone with the Jets is saying similar.

If the owner wants you gone, and you have other options, leaving makes sense. We will know more about how much spin was on those reports when MLF takes his new job, whether it's an OC or a lesser role.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1257 on: January 11, 2023, 05:44:52 PM »
I would bet good money the order to fire came from the top. I agree that it does not bode well for the future. But we lost 6 straight to end the season with an awful offense so something had to give
Exactly. Had to make a move on the coaching staff, whether that's bringing in someone to work with MLF or replacing him altogether. I thought it would  be the former, but I imagine Woody made it clear what he wanted.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #1258 on: January 11, 2023, 05:46:32 PM »
Everyone with the Jets is saying similar.

If the owner wants you gone, and you have other options, leaving makes sense. We will know more about how much spin was on those reports when MLF takes his new job, whether it's an OC or a lesser role.

you think he's getting an OC job somewhere else in the NFL?  Nobody is going to let him anywhere near their QB.

How many times do you have to hear this....he did a BAD job here.  He's not on the top of anyone else's wishlist.  That tweet from Hughes is horseshit.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #1259 on: January 11, 2023, 05:51:40 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this, mostly because I'm skeptical of our ability to bring in an upgrade.

As you should be....we haven't found a good one in decades.

But we do know we got rid of a shitty one

Tags: