Author Topic: OC Mike LaFired  (Read 51714 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: OC Mike LaFieldGoal
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2021, 12:56:52 PM »
We need our TEs to block much better

we need better TEs
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2021, 02:11:44 PM »

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2021, 03:14:55 PM »
As great as that 4th round pick for Herndon is, it doesn't help us right now when our current tight ends can't seem to block worth a lick.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2021, 03:22:46 PM »
If Wilson ends up with a broken bone that Herndon trade ends up looking freaking terrible.

I get that he wasn't a fit for the team. But when you have no adequate replacements, do you want to risk your franchise QB? Especially with how putrid this OL is

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2021, 03:32:48 PM »
As great as that 4th round pick for Herndon is, it doesn't help us right now when our current tight ends can't seem to block worth a lick.
Our OL shouldn't be bad enough (and yes, I'm aware it is) that a lack of blocking TEs is this dire.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2021, 03:53:14 PM »
Our OL shouldn't be bad enough (and yes, I'm aware it is) that a lack of blocking TEs is this dire.

Daniel Brown was signed to block. Wesco was drafted to block. They just suck.

Apparently the biggest culprit Sunday was Ryan Griffin, according to Nania.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2021, 04:35:06 PM »
Daniel Brown is a converted receiver.  It’s not a surprise that he sucks at blocking.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2021, 04:57:25 PM »
Daniel Brown is a converted receiver.  It’s not a surprise that he sucks at blocking.

Should it be a surprise that he sucks at receiving?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2021, 05:15:16 PM »
We never really talk about it because of all of the other problems, but starter at TE and depth at TE has been a problem for us just about every season going back forever
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2021, 05:24:18 PM »
Griffin and Kroft are solid TE2 and TE3.  Wesco is a not a bad H-Back either.  I think we have depth at the position for the first time in a while, but they’re just boring derriere players.

We haven’t had a true receiving threat at TE in over a decade.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2021, 06:57:52 PM »
If Wilson ends up with a broken bone that Herndon trade ends up looking freaking terrible.

I get that he wasn't a fit for the team. But when you have no adequate replacements, do you want to risk your franchise QB? Especially with how putrid this OL is

If our blocking is dependent on a TE to get the job done, ESPECIALLY in pass protection, we are already so fucked it doesn’t matter. Can TEs and HBs help in pass pro and be keys at times? Absolutely. But if they are the primary cogs in the blocking scheme we are already to far gone to save.

Herndon might have been a better pass blocker, but if we have to leave him in every snap to block, he’s providing no other value to us.

As H pointed out, our TE problem is that every one of those guys is a slot too high. 2 years ago a healthy Ryan Griffin was a solid #2 for us, and filled in well while Herndon was out. But he couldn’t ever be “the guy” now post injury and a little less athletic, he’s a pretty good TE 3 option who is operating as our #2. Kroft is a similar player to who Griffin was a few years ago, adequate enough blocker, decent receiving tools. A capable but not great #2. But he’s our best option. Then Wesco as an HBack is again decent enough as a blocker and decent enough catching the ball in the flats. But he can’t do anything exciting. He’s a guy that if he’s your “weak link” playing 10-15 snaps a game you are doing just fine. But if he’s a guy playing as many snaps as he did Sunday, that’s a problem.

We need some dynamic option to add to this group. Then everything will slide in the way it all is supposed to and everything looks a lot better
Need a new one for a new board...

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2021, 07:46:13 PM »
  ^ This +1.  TE's aside, could OC LaFluer have OL coach Benton go over countering twists, slants and stunts again please?   

Check out the 4th qtr. sack where Derrick Brown absolutely crushed Zack:  Van Roten staring off into space before he and Connor McGovern react way too late to pick up a stunting rusher....AVT screwed up as well having a rusher cross his face en route to Zach.  It was all IOL-related and had nothing to do with TEs.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2021, 07:55:01 PM »
  ^ This +1.  TE's aside, could OC LaFluer have OL coach Benton go over countering twists, slants and stunts again please?   

Check out the 4th qtr. sack where Derrick Brown absolutely crushed Zack:  Van Roten staring off into space before he and Connor McGovern react way too late to pick up a stunting rusher....AVT screwed up as well having a rusher cross his face en route to Zach.  It was all IOL-related and had nothing to do with TEs.

+1+1

The OL stinks. Yes, TEs should be able to help as blockers, but no tight end is making up for a line that isn't doing its job.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2021, 08:46:56 PM »

All three of them were spun like tops.  Three iOL against two DT's and they couldn't even slow one of them down. 

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2021, 10:21:09 AM »
Cimini seems to think LaFleur and Mims aren't getting along:

“There were six or seven plays in training camp where he ran the wrong route. It wasn’t dramatically wrong, not a total bust, but slight imperfections in his route running that caused the coaching staff to get on him. I don’t think he handled it well and he feels like he is being penalized for mistakes that some of the other receivers are making as well.”

Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur went to give Mims a pep talk around him being proud of him and to keep going because he’s almost there, a motivating chat designed to be positive reinforcement. Instead Cimini said that “it didn’t go over well with Mims” and has created a “dicey situation”.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2021/9/16/22677173/report-mims-situation-dicey-according-to-cimini

Tags: