Author Topic: OC Mike LaFired  (Read 51312 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: OC Mike LaFieldGoal
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »
Well it's not like he's worked with 10 guys.

Jeremy Bates or Adam Gase/Dowell Loggains (rofl)

Not hard to see who wins there

You draft a rookie he needs a few years in the league, Darnold is 23 and already has that. I'm all for bringing in competition, preferably a veteran, but there's absolutely no reason for him not to be an option.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »
You draft a rookie he needs a few years in the league

Not necessarily
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2021, 10:05:13 AM »
Not necessarily

In most cases. Was Darnold supposed to come in here at 20 and turn the team around with no line, no weapons and Todd Bowles on his way out? We succeeded with Sanchez as a rookie but not because of Sanchez.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
In most cases. Was Darnold supposed to come in here at 20 and turn the team around with no line, no weapons and Todd Bowles on his way out? We succeeded with Sanchez as a rookie but not because of Sanchez.

If you take a look at the top quarterbacks in the league, most of them were good almost immediately or made a significant jump in their second year. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2021, 10:22:49 AM »
Need a new one for a new board...

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »
Keep Sam, get someone at 2 who helps us now.

We're not taking a non-QB at 2, not with Fields/Wilson on the board.

If we keep Sam we are trading down for more picks, the end. Douglas should be able to find a trade partner among whatever teams want to climb up for a QB.  There is no other elite option at 2 other than Sewell, but I don't see taking a right tackle that high. Sewell at 4? Sure...if you can sell him on the prospect of likely making less money over his career by moving from LT.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »
If you take a look at the top quarterbacks in the league, most of them were good almost immediately or made a significant jump in their second year. 

Darnold's second year we brought in a new offense, a bad one as it turns out, and he missed most of the first half of the season with mono. Then he had a better second half and we went 6-2. Not everyone follows the same pattern.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2021, 11:36:55 AM »
Darnold's second year we brought in a new offense, a bad one as it turns out, and he missed most of the first half of the season with mono. Then he had a better second half and we went 6-2. Not everyone follows the same pattern.
That was the least impressive 6-2 imaginable where Darnold barely produced against a horrendous slate of opponents. Obviously, he did enough to win, but little else. Then this year, when we couldn't beat up on the NFC East, he continued to be mediocre.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2021, 11:40:22 AM »
That was the least impressive 6-2 imaginable where Darnold barely produced against a horrendous slate of opponents.

A few months ago that 6-2 run was what you were using to justify why we couldn't possibly fire Gase.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2021, 12:33:23 PM »
A few months ago that 6-2 run was what you were using to justify why we couldn't possibly fire Gase.
For the 10,000th time, I was fine if we fired Gase after his first season.

I didn't think he deserved getting fired, and I was fine bringing him back for a 2nd season, but I said many times that I was fine if they fired him after year 1. Nothing in his first season was all that impressive, but I also don't like firing coaches after one season unless it's egregiously bad, and that wasn't the case.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2021, 12:54:45 PM »

I never said we "couldn't possibly fire Gase", you guys like to blow up these fake arguments to talk against instead of what I actually said. His first year started terrible and when Darnold came back they finished 6-2, that's what happened, that's what I said. So you have to factor all of that into your evaluation. I didn't like the Gase hire when it happened, but when you turn a season around like that in year one it's kind of hard to clean house again a year later and justify it.

Same with the QB, we drafted him at 20, gave him nothing to work with, fired two coaching staffs, and now people are crying that he's "broken" at 23. Bullshit. I don't know if he'll be a star but he's shown signs when given any kind of chance. He's also never complained or blamed anyone else when he's failed, he seems like he just keeps working at it. It would be nice to have some better coaching and tools to work with.

That was the least impressive 6-2 imaginable where Darnold barely produced against a horrendous slate of opponents. Obviously, he did enough to win, but little else. Then this year, when we couldn't beat up on the NFC East, he continued to be mediocre.

A 6-2 run in the NFL is a 6-2 run. You can pick it apart all you like because you hated the coach and he mad you sad blah blah blah, but you still have to win the games and they weren't all terrible teams. Take the fan emotion out of it.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 01:30:15 PM »
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
3m
Reminder: The Rooney Rule now applies to coordinator positions, too. So none of those positions — offense, defense or special teams — can be filled until at least one external minority candidate interviews. That’ll impact how quickly you hear staff announcements in coming weeks.

Quick, where's Karl Dunbar?
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 04:19:04 PM »
Did not realize that.

I was thinking about DC a bit today, I’m sure Saleh has a guy (or multiple) in mind already, but I would not be upset to see Aaron Glenn or the Rams guy waiting to take over for Staley, I believe it’s Anthony Pleasant get looks if Saleh is looking to open the interview process up.
Need a new one for a new board...

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 04:27:14 PM »

Baker Mayfield is the oldest QB left in the AFC... no longer are the days where QBs need or get years and years to develop.

Tags: