Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 2021 New York Yankees Thread  (Read 46180 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: The OFFICIAL 2021 New York Yankees Thread
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 03:07:32 PM »
As long as he stays healthy, and I just saw he supposedly made a delivery change as part of his rehab, this will likely be a good trade.

But I'm really concerned with all the health question marks throughout the rotation. This could potentially be a top-tier rotation, but Cressey had better be elite at his job.

All that matters with the rotation is what it looks like come playoffs

If we have Cole, and then 2 effective/healthy pitchers out of Kluber, Taillon, and Sevy, that is an upgrade on last year and years past.  We have more than enough arms to make it through the regular season. Shouldn’t be any injury concerns with the back end of our rotation and they all have enough upside to have a big year of one of the guys ahead of them goes out.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 03:10:22 PM »
This trade also opened up 2 spots on the 40 man to allow for the DJLM and Kluber signings. Classic Cashman trading guys we may have had to cut anyways. Think it was Roansy and Yaijure.

I think we still need to make another move for Taillon.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 07:18:53 AM »
All that matters with the rotation is what it looks like come playoffs

If we have Cole, and then 2 effective/healthy pitchers out of Kluber, Taillon, and Sevy, that is an upgrade on last year and years past.  We have more than enough arms to make it through the regular season. Shouldn’t be any injury concerns with the back end of our rotation and they all have enough upside to have a big year of one of the guys ahead of them goes out.

Yeah, I was thinking a little more about it. They just need these guys at 100% come late September. The offense should get them enough wins to play in October.

If these guys are all healthy, this is easily the best Yankees rotation since at least 09, and probably a lot longer than that. Reminiscent of the late-90s run where there were multiple aces.

Is this the year the Yankees finally start using a 6th starter?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2021, 07:26:04 AM »
This trade also opened up 2 spots on the 40 man to allow for the DJLM and Kluber signings. Classic Cashman trading guys we may have had to cut anyways. Think it was Roansy and Yaijure.

I think we still need to make another move for Taillon.

Yes, and yes.

Supposedly the Yankees are still interested in bringing back Gardner too, so maybe a big deal in the works? To get the two spots I figure they would have to trade Frazier and Andujar. Unless maybe they decide to go with Andujar and sell high on Urshela?

It definitely feels like Cashman has one more big move coming before pitchers and catchers report.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2021, 11:19:40 AM »
We're uhhh trading Ottavino to Boston?

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2021, 11:43:28 AM »
We're uhhh trading Ottavino to Boston?

And giving them a prospect lol

Pure salary dump. At least we didn’t trade him to a contender?

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »
THIS TEAM NEEDS A RIGHTY OUT OF THE PEN IN THE WORST WAY.

FWIW, unless that prospect is more than a lottery ticket, I don't get it from the Red Sox perspective either considering Brad Hand just got 10.5 for the year. In a depressed market, Ottavino is still worth 8 million for the year?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2021, 12:24:49 PM »
What the everloving freak?!

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2021, 12:50:24 PM »
THIS TEAM NEEDS A RIGHTY OUT OF THE PEN IN THE WORST WAY.

FWIW, unless that prospect is more than a lottery ticket, I don't get it from the Red Sox perspective either considering Brad Hand just got 10.5 for the year. In a depressed market, Ottavino is still worth 8 million for the year?

Their bullpen is atrocious. Otto could be the closer there, unless they want to run Barnes back out there.

The Red Sox aren’t competing this year, judging by their offseason moves. They got a decent prospect to take him on (2018 4th rounder Frank German) and can flip Otto at the deadline for another prospect or 2 if they’re out of it. Solid trade by them.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2021, 12:52:14 PM »
Good riddance to his career 4.0 BB/9.  Relievers that walk that many guys can’t be trusted, no matter how filthy their stuff is.

He’s also been horrendous since August 2019, that money is better spent elsewhere.

I predict they’ll re-sign Gardy and use whatever’s left over on a RHRP.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2021, 12:57:11 PM »
Yeah he was a disappointment but it sucks he didn't work out here.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2021, 02:07:13 PM »
Yeah he was a disappointment but it sucks he didn't work out here.

He had a great 2019 but his numbers always said he was due for a big regression, he had an ungodly strand %. It looked to me like he fucked up his mechanics sometime over the past year. Hitters also got the scouting report that neither of his pitches get thrown for strikes that often. He was able to paint a bit in 2019, but couldn’t find the zone if he tried last season.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
He had a great 2019 but his numbers always said he was due for a big regression, he had an ungodly strand %. It looked to me like he fucked up his mechanics sometime over the past year. Hitters also got the scouting report that neither of his pitches get thrown for strikes that often. He was able to paint a bit in 2019, but couldn’t find the zone if he tried last season.

Which makes the idea that he's a viable "buy low" candidate at 7 million plus in a depressed market questionable. He's not all of a sudden going to go close for Boston.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2021, 07:55:41 PM »
Barely hours after the Ottavino trade news broke, it started circulating that the Yankees had re-engaged Gardner on a return.

Gardy's a great leader, and Ottavino isn't as big a loss given what SFD posted, but I'd spend the savings on pitching, and allow at-bats for Frazier and Tauchman along with Hicks and Judge, not to mention Andujar.

Unless Cashman is saving money and those players for a trade deadline acquisition of Scherzer.

Tags: