Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 108908 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Star Wars
« Reply #900 on: June 27, 2023, 03:43:00 PM »
We could have an expansive space opera universe with multiple brilliant stories if not for the people who can’t get over if the dude that stabbed a bunch of children to death, his best frenemy, or his estrange kids aren’t involved somehow.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #901 on: June 27, 2023, 06:43:19 PM »
We could have an expansive space opera universe with multiple brilliant stories if not for the people who can’t get over if the dude that stabbed a bunch of children to death, his best frenemy, or his estrange kids aren’t involved somehow.

We do. It's called Star Trek. Kidding, kind of.

Star Wars is sci-fantasy, not true sci-fi. Jedi are an integral piece of that. Like if Lord of the Rings had no Gandalf, it'd just be Arthurian romance.

Anyway, I don't have an issue with Andor, Mandolorian, etc. Just not interested in watching. My wife and kids watch everything, so my household is doing its part.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #902 on: June 27, 2023, 07:10:18 PM »

Star Wars is sci-fantasy, not true sci-fi. Jedi are an integral piece of that. Like if Lord of the Rings had no Gandalf, it'd just be Arthurian romance.

Anyway, I don't have an issue with Andor, Mandolorian, etc. Just not interested in watching. My wife and kids watch everything, so my household is doing its part.

But don't you think it could be so much richer of a fantasy universe if they weren't so beholden to the story of one Jedi and his pals and family?  I think one of the reasons - if not the main reason - that A Song of Ice and Fire is such a successful fantasy universe is that it's not just a story about dragons vs. icemen.  The dragons might very well be your favorite part, the White Walkers might very well be your favorite part, but when the universe they inhabit is fleshed out and expanded, it makes those parts all the sweeter.

The Star Wars Universe is a friggin' galaxy, but it seems so preposterously small when you can't go from one episode to the next, or one film to the next, without every protagonist bumping into every other protagonist.  It's actually something I really enjoyed about the Netflix Marvel series, hit or miss though they were; outside of an occasional dialogue reference, they let the characters breathe and exist on their own, at least relative to the "main" MCU if not each other.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 07:12:38 PM by reuben »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #903 on: June 27, 2023, 07:38:05 PM »
But don't you think it could be so much richer of a fantasy universe if they weren't so beholden to the story of one Jedi and his pals and family?  I think one of the reasons - if not the main reason - that A Song of Ice and Fire is such a successful fantasy universe is that it's not just a story about dragons vs. icemen.  The dragons might very well be your favorite part, the White Walkers might very well be your favorite part, but when the universe they inhabit is fleshed out and expanded, it makes those parts all the sweeter.

The Star Wars Universe is a friggin' galaxy, but it seems so preposterously small when you can't go from one episode to the next, or one film to the next, without every protagonist bumping into every other protagonist.  It's actually something I really enjoyed about the Netflix Marvel series, hit or miss though they were; outside of an occasional dialogue reference, they let the characters breathe and exist on their own, at least relative to the "main" MCU if not each other.

100%

But I think we're talking about two different things here. Personally, my favorite SW story is Darth Bane during the Old Republic.

I'm all in favor of moving past The Skywalker Saga and telling other stories. Especially since they didn't even stick to the post-Vader written material.

But without Jedi, I'm not interested. They can tell great stories including Jedi and Sith.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #904 on: June 27, 2023, 07:47:17 PM »

This is such a shallow view of both franchises...like...wtf

Gandalf was only a fixture for the Third Age...
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #905 on: June 27, 2023, 08:41:53 PM »
This is such a shallow view of both franchises...like...wtf

Gandalf was only a fixture for the Third Age...

I don't understand how thinking Jedi are central to Star Wars is a shallow view of the franchise. The entire original trilogy is about Luke's rise as a Jedi vs. Vader's corruption of it. And practically every novelization and movie prior to the Disney takeover revolved around Jedi and/or Sith characters.

I don't begrudge anyone's enjoyment of stories like Andor/Rogue One or Mandolorian. They just aren't what I want from something that holds the Star Wars brand label. I'm not an e-troll ripping things I don't like and saying it's got to be MY way or NO way. I'm just not going to watch.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #906 on: June 27, 2023, 08:56:02 PM »
how was moon knight?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #907 on: August 06, 2023, 09:34:49 PM »
Andor 10/10

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #908 on: August 06, 2023, 09:39:53 PM »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #909 on: August 07, 2023, 07:16:06 AM »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #910 on: March 19, 2024, 10:38:58 AM »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #911 on: March 19, 2024, 10:51:38 AM »
Just saw this discussion.

Thought I was the only one that gave up on the Mandolorian, it kind of blew.

Rogue One and Andor are the best thing Star Wars related since ESB.

Andor was a great show period.

I am tired of all the formulaic shows, to put it mildly they're terrible - Mandolorian,  Boba Fett etc.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #912 on: March 19, 2024, 11:35:08 PM »
Just saw this discussion.

Thought I was the only one that gave up on the Mandolorian, it kind of blew.

Rogue One and Andor are the best thing Star Wars related since ESB.

Andor was a great show period.

I am tired of all the formulaic shows, to put it mildly they're terrible - Mandolorian,  Boba Fett etc.
Why make this instead of Andor season 2?

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #913 on: March 20, 2024, 01:12:06 AM »
Why make this instead of Andor season 2?

Cool story bro
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #914 on: March 20, 2024, 08:34:22 AM »
Culture Crave 🍿
@CultureCrave
#TheAcolyte details

• Set 100 years before 'The Phantom Menace'
• Didn't use The Volume VFX at all during filming
• Narratively similar to #Andor
• 8 episodes
• Episodes around 30 min
• Pitched as a multi-season show
• Incorporates EU / Legends lore

definitely checking this out

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"